Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

It bothers me that you're raising children ...

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:51 AM
  • 37 Replies
1 mom liked this
and you probably couldn't pass the spelling and grammar tests administered in the 3rd grade.
Anytime I see a mother say "I no that!", or "do you want a oreo" I want to shake them.
How are you helping your children learn? How are your children developing the skills necessary for their education when they hear people speaking like uneducated trash at home? How is it possible to learn proper sentence structure when your parents speak like ghetto trash? When the most important people in their minds for the first five years of their lives, the years when they're learning how to speak, have a minimal grasp of the language?
I'm not talking grammar nazi stuff, I'm not even talking about the basic difference between "and me" and "and I" ... I'm talking about the things that we all should know before we're halfway through elementary school.
I just don't get how people expect their children to be successful when they can't form even one proper sentence.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:05 PM
3 moms liked this

You read my mind. When I'm reading posts and I see wrong words being used or random apostrophes being thrown in, I can not focus on the content. I am too distracted by the mistakes. It makes me wonder about the intelligence of the writer. It proves that you don't need an education or common sense to use a computer.

kerryket
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:08 PM
5 moms liked this

Yeah, I could see that, but some people are crappy at grammar and spelling and they're still great people, mothers, fathers, etc...

I'm crappy at math, dyscalculia and all that, it held me back from a lot of things I could of or should have done, because no one understood what it was or what to do about it.  I'm a good parent though!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:30 PM
4 moms liked this

My best friends Mom never learned to read or write. My friend has to read her mail to her, help pay her bills and other things because she can't. But my friend is really smart. She doen't talk like Ghetto trash and never has, she got all A's in school and was way better in alot of subjects than I was. And I came from a home where I had 2 parents with associate degrees! How well you parent isn't based on you grammar. That is just ridiculous. i have seen "smart" and well educated parents never bother to spend time with thier kids or read them a book to help them learn, and I have seen "dumb" uneducated "ghetto trash" parents spend quality time with thier kids and teach them values, morals, and the importance of education even though they may not have had much of one.

AnnieMcD
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I guess it's less the writing and stuff that bothers me, because I do have understanding for people with reading disabilities. More it's the blatant disregard for language as a whole.

Quoting kerryket:

Yeah, I could see that, but some people are crappy at grammar and spelling and they're still great people, mothers, fathers, etc...

I'm crappy at math, dyscalculia and all that, it held me back from a lot of things I could of or should have done, because no one understood what it was or what to do about it.  I'm a good parent though!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

some people are crappy spellers and being mobile makes it harder, esp when you make a mistake and your touch screen is real touchy and it enters stuff before you can fix it

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:39 PM
1 mom liked this
At the risk of being inappropriate, and I mean no disrespect to those who were victims of sexual assault, this is relevant.

"I am the English language, please don't rape me."
jackiejackson
by New Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Let us not be so quick to judge.

AnnieMcD
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 1:15 PM
I get that, but I'm talking less about typos and more about not knowing the difference or definiton of words you should have been taught in early childhood. Spelling issues I understand, (although I don't think that people who can't spell should be teaching their ignorance to their children, and should fully explain to their children that they have a hard time spelling and it makes life difficult) but I'm more speaking to the "IDGAF if I sound like a idiot, that's how I talk. I would of learnt better but it don't really matter none."

Quoting Anonymous:

some people are crappy spellers and being mobile makes it harder, esp when you make a mistake and your touch screen is real touchy and it enters stuff before you can fix it

Traci_Momof2
by Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 4:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I totally get what you are saying.  Sometimes I think that's how it keeps going generation after generation.  The kid hears it for the first few years of their life and it becomes the norm for them.  Even if they learn the proper ways in school, they still revert back to that "norm" that they know at home.  It's actually pretty sad IMO.

To expand on that even, I'm the type of parent who does not hold back on using big words when talking to my kids.  Even when they were young if a big word was appropriate for what I was saying I would use it.  Then I would ask them "do you know what X means?"  Sometimes they just ask me.  It becomes a learning tool and my oldest son especially has received comments on his vocabulary.  I mean, if we are always dumbing our words down for our kids, how are they ever going to expand their vocabulary?

AnnieMcD
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:08 PM
Seriously. My son has the best reading in his class, and the best vocabulary, even though he's got Asperger's and didn't even speak more than a few sentences until he was well past 5. At 5 he had about 30 responses and no matter what you said the response was one of those.
I've always spoken to him as though he understood me, and one day he just blossomed. Mostly because I do like you do, I use words and then ask him if he knows what they mean. Also, we play a game throughout the day where he'll say a word and then spell it. If it's correct we celebrate. If it's wrong, I spell it correctly for him and then he repeats it correctly and then, usually, that's all we have to do. He knows it. It's great because his teachers are amazed at how good his vocabulary is for someone who had such a hard time speaking just a couple years ago. I can just imagine how impacted he would be if we had poor language skills at home.

Quoting Traci_Momof2:

I totally get what you are saying.  Sometimes I think that's how it keeps going generation after generation.  The kid hears it for the first few years of their life and it becomes the norm for them.  Even if they learn the proper ways in school, they still revert back to that "norm" that they know at home.  It's actually pretty sad IMO.

To expand on that even, I'm the type of parent who does not hold back on using big words when talking to my kids.  Even when they were young if a big word was appropriate for what I was saying I would use it.  Then I would ask them "do you know what X means?"  Sometimes they just ask me.  It becomes a learning tool and my oldest son especially has received comments on his vocabulary.  I mean, if we are always dumbing our words down for our kids, how are they ever going to expand their vocabulary?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)