Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

im on strike

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies
Yep ds (5) was supposed to be cleaning his room today and instead he sat there and read a book. I told him to just put his clean clothes in his dresser then I would come guide him on the rest. He refused. I took his book away he picked up another one. Finally he yells at me that I never do anything for him and I need to clean his room.
I told him if he wanted to see what it was like with me not doing anything for him he will find out. Oh and good luck getting to tee ball.
Should be interesting. He has also lost going to play with his friend this week. And until he apologizes and starts pulling his weight around here again. Uggh!
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Wow they hit that stage early anymore.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Personally, i think you are going way overboard..he's 5yrs old!.....his vital clue to you that you missed, was letting you know he upset wiith you, by yelling at you and saying what he did means; "Hey mom, chill out, i was reading a book and you just come in here and bark orders like i'm a dog or something...don't i have feelings too? How do you like when someone barks at you to do stuff?  I would have been a lot more cooperative if you'd told me to finish the page, hurry and put the clothes away, and then get back to my book."

so mom, what are you going to do when he does nothing but sit there refusing to comply, and couldn't care less about missing anything?   seriously, i hope you plan on being the adult here, and letting him know what you expect of him, rather than playing a waiting game to see if he's going to come to you.  Did you punish him in anger?  If so, rethink what you said, and if need be apologize to him for making a rushed  decision.  Believe me, kids end up with a lot more respect for a parent, if the parent can apologize and admit when they've made a mistake, esp when it comes to going over the edge in the heat of the moment, and punishing out of anger, or saying things they don't mean out of anger. ...so,  i hope you talk to you son..it's the best thing you can do.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:46 PM
I had been telling him for over an hour kindly to do it. I told him as soon as it was done we would watch a movie together which is a rare treat. He didn't even start reading the book until well after he was told to put his clothes away.
He knows exactly what I expect from him. I talked to him and told him exactly what he needs to do. This is not a one time problem. He has been defiant like this for a week. Punishments have not been helping. He has been treating me like I'm his own personal slave for a week and telling me I don't do a thing for him all week.

Quoting Anonymous:

Personally, i think you are going way overboard..he's 5yrs old!.....his vital clue to you that you missed, was letting you know he upset wiith you, by yelling at you and saying what he did means; "Hey mom, chill out, i was reading a book and you just come in here and bark orders like i'm a dog or something...don't i have feelings too? How do you like when someone barks at you to do stuff?  I would have been a lot more cooperative if you'd told me to finish the page, hurry and put the clothes away, and then get back to my book."

so mom, what are you going to do when he does nothing but sit there refusing to comply, and couldn't care less about missing anything?   seriously, i hope you plan on being the adult here, and letting him know what you expect of him, rather than playing a waiting game to see if he's going to come to you.  Did you punish him in anger?  If so, rethink what you said, and if need be apologize to him for making a rushed  decision.  Believe me, kids end up with a lot more respect for a parent, if the parent can apologize and admit when they've made a mistake, esp when it comes to going over the edge in the heat of the moment, and punishing out of anger, or saying things they don't mean out of anger. ...so,  i hope you talk to you son..it's the best thing you can do.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh and my strike lasted less than 2 hours. He just came to apologize and is now cleaning his room.
mysticalmalissa
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:01 PM

LOL....Good for you!

JustMomToSM
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 1:55 PM

great then! it sounds like a very good time for a 1:1 talk over a nice treat, like what was the book about?:) it seemed it had you so absorbed ... just like me, maybe you will find out that your DS does not like orders or nice'n'kind requests, but playing games all the time and having fun!!!! my DS (4) never cleans a room unless there is a hyde'n'sick game for the toys, cloths, whatever ... he places them correctly but NEVER because i said so:) and it s wonderfull that your DS reads by himself! he seems a smart guy - which makes everything interesting and SO CHALLENGING AND DEMANDING AND RESTLESS!!!!! it works much more better when we are all happy and relaxed:) good luck and take care:)

rayroe2
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 2:00 PM
You took away reading shame on you jk

He will learn
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TrouserMouse
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Stick to your guns!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 23, 2013 at 2:33 PM
We had a 1 on 1 talk and played a game together. We originally started racing to see who could get their room cleaned first. He likes to race but just wasn't having it.
He is very smart but very challenging!

Quoting JustMomToSM:

great then! it sounds like a very good time for a 1:1 talk over a nice treat, like what was the book about?:) it seemed it had you so absorbed ... just like me, maybe you will find out that your DS does not like orders or nice'n'kind requests, but playing games all the time and having fun!!!! my DS (4) never cleans a room unless there is a hyde'n'sick game for the toys, cloths, whatever ... he places them correctly but NEVER because i said so:) and it s wonderfull that your DS reads by himself! he seems a smart guy - which makes everything interesting and SO CHALLENGING AND DEMANDING AND RESTLESS!!!!! it works much more better when we are all happy and relaxed:) good luck and take care:)

JustMomToSM
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 3:44 PM

wow! u r such a great mom!:) i m so glad for u!!!! keep trying, it will come:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)