Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Am I the only one in the world who HATES their neighbors?

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:11 PM
  • 43 Replies
1 mom liked this

So  I live in a small town, about 400 people.

350 are idiots who swam out of  the shallow end of the gene pool.

50 are non-native, probably ok, but I haven't met them yet!

Two houses away from me lives another single semi-retiree. She as two dogs. Since November she has had a new house under construction on her lot and doesn 't live there yet.

But the dogs do. And they bark all night. They NEVER stop barking. I get up at 3 a.m. to go to work. My dd has school. Two houses away and they are so loud it literally keeps me awake OVER the noise of the fan, heater, white noise machine.

We get NO sleep. Since November.I have asked her repeatedly to quiet the dogs or move them or buy a bark collar or anything. She always apologizes profusely, but refuses to do anything about the dogs.

Yesterday I finally broke down and went to the chief of police's house and made a complaint. He spoke to her. She immediately knew I was the one who complained, of course, and promptly began tattle-telling on all the neighbors around her, like a 7 year old!

As soon as the chief left, she went from one house to the other on my street calling me names, complaining about me, etc.

Now I don't really care what the neighbors think, but I wonder, what justifies her actions when she was the one whose refusal to obey the law about nuisance barking, and neighborhood complaints, and negligent pet ownership prompted my self-preservation actions?

Given the above info, what is your opinion on this? Am I wrong for what I did?

I almost decided that killing the dogs would be better and prevent drama, but I resisted the urge, and did the legal thing. 

She will undoubtedly be coming back around at some point to be chatty. I have no intention of being polite at all! Am I wrong for that?

Opinions?

by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CotterpinDoozer
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:34 PM
1 mom liked this

She's throwing a temper tantrum because you finally had enough of her empty apologies and her dogs keeping you and your DD up. I honestly do not understand people who think it's ok to let their dogs bark all night, especially if someone has complained to them about it before. We had people behind us who had a little yapper who used to wake DD up all the time. I finally had to call the non-emergency police line to file a noise complaint. After having to do this several times, and other neighbors did it too, they eventually stopped leaving their dogs outside. I assume they got sick of paying fines.

I wouldn't worry to much about it. She was in the wrong, if it's been going on since Novemeber, she's had plenty of time to address the issue and hasn't. You did what you had to do and she's a crazy person going door to door to whine about how mean you were. Laugh it off and hopefully you'll get some well deserved sleep.

AV made by NiamhWitch

creekbank
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:22 AM

I definitely could not understand why the other neighbors, who were also upset and sleepless, are so up at arms with me for finally reporting it. She didn't get a fine or citation or anything! Just a verbal warning!

Thanks for re-affirming my sanity! I am up late tonight, no work tomorrow! and just enjoying the blissful silence!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 27, 2013 at 3:26 AM
Oh mama, my neighbor below me takes crazy to a whole new level. I'm not "allowed" to have guests after 4 pm, and then only if HER dad has approved them. My son who is almost 3 isn't allowed to play in his room because it disturbs her 13 year old. my son can not cry or move off the couch after 7:30pm, she has final say over his toys, my friends where i go and with whom, I was expected to change my sons dosing schedule while on prednisone because the one the doctors prescribed was inconvenient for her, the list goes on..... keep in mind, we live in apartments each in a separate unit, i pay ALL MY OWN BILLS my name is on my lease, she lives directly below me, her name on her lease, her parents pay her bills, She slams doors all hours of the day and night her dog barks non stop, I can hear her walking room to room because she stomps and she lives BELOW ME!!!!!!!
She is a gem.... One day she will have a disorder named after her.
mysticalmalissa
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 6:18 AM

I had a pain in the ass neighbor that hated the sound of barking dogs...

kerryket
by Gold Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:07 AM
First I thought you were living with/renting or some kind of arrangement with your controlling parents, but no, you just let your neighbor dictate how you live? Sorry, but I don't understand.

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh mama, my neighbor below me takes crazy to a whole new level. I'm not "allowed" to have guests after 4 pm, and then only if HER dad has approved them. My son who is almost 3 isn't allowed to play in his room because it disturbs her 13 year old. my son can not cry or move off the couch after 7:30pm, she has final say over his toys, my friends where i go and with whom, I was expected to change my sons dosing schedule while on prednisone because the one the doctors prescribed was inconvenient for her, the list goes on..... keep in mind, we live in apartments each in a separate unit, i pay ALL MY OWN BILLS my name is on my lease, she lives directly below me, her name on her lease, her parents pay her bills, She slams doors all hours of the day and night her dog barks non stop, I can hear her walking room to room because she stomps and she lives BELOW ME!!!!!!!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
anitarichman
by New Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:08 AM

You spoke to her about it and she still continued to leave the dogs out.  You did the right thing and she is just being bitchy about being reported. 

psych_mom
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Just ignore her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
liliem
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:33 AM

There is a feng shui cure for this... You could put a mirror facing the wall up in your house facing in her direction. I'd love to see if it works. I tried others that have worked, but I never had unruly neighbors so no use for this one.

About talking to her, I would plea with her and say I'm at wits end and need to some sleep and her dogs are preventing that... Then I would ask her what she has done to try and remedy the situation and listen to her. If nothing, I would say something to the tune of her having absolutely NO consideration for me and my family and that that is unacceptable. or something like that.

Christy1919
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:51 AM
Maybe start tossing Benadryl meatballs over the fence at night ;)
Christy1919
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:52 AM
Why do you take orders from your neighbor? I'd file a complaint with the management and perhaps call her folks

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)