Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Autism is NOT caused by vaccines!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My sister sprung this on me today. Her last baby is not vaxed because she doesn't want him to get autism (her first was given to an open adoption and has asd and she just got a dx for her other son). She got so pissed off when I told her that's bogus. Mind you her two have MILD autism compared to my ds. They can, you know, talk, eat whatever, etc.

I showed her this study too

http://jpeds.com/content/JPEDSDeStefano

and you know what she said??? "It doesn't say that they don't cause autism." OMG then she brought out Jenny McCarthy. F*ck Jenny McCarthy. She uses her notoriety to pronote baseless studies that dissuade people from getting vaxes. Cause polio is better than autism.

My head hurts from the stupid.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 29, 2013 at 1:34 PM
Replies (11-20):
catrig
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:17 PM
I don't think it causes it, but I think it could make symptoms worse for some people.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TrouserMouse
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:55 PM
16 moms liked this

The fact is, we don't know shit about what causes Autism so we can't say what does or doesn't.

psych_mom
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:01 PM
3 moms liked this

I only believe studies that are done correctly and accurately and that are published in reputable journals. That's something awesome they teach you when you are becoming a psychologist or counselor- how to read studies and tell if they are telling the truth.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Which is why these studies piss me off most.

If years from now they find the definitive cause and I have to confront a cause I was responsible for bringing about then ill be the first to admit fault.

But until then, no one should claim its anything until they're 100% sure.

Quoting TrouserMouse:

The fact is, we don't know shit about what causes Autism so we can't say what does or doesn't.

psych_mom
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:04 PM

This article explains why the pertussis vaccine is no longer effective, but it does not say with certainty that vaccines do or do not cause autism. You are taking what you want from this article and trying to make it say what you want it to say. Not only that it does not give any statistical evidence to support the claim in the last paragraph.

Quoting Anonymous:

For the mobile users:

THE JOURNAL OF PEDIATRICS
Children’s Hospital Medical Center, MLC-3021 3333 Burnet Ave.
Cincinnati, OH 45229-3039
513-636-7140 FAX: 513-636-7141
Embargoed until 12:01 AM, ET, March 29, 2013

For more information or to obtain a copy of the article, contact: Becky Lindeman, 513-636-7140, journal.pediatrics@cchmc.org.

The Risk of Autism Is Not Increased by "Too Many Vaccines Too Soon"
Cincinnati, OH, March 29, 2013 -- Although scientific evidence suggests that vaccines do not cause autism, approximately one-third of parents continue to express concern that they do; nearly 1 in 10 parents refuse or delay vaccinations because they believe it is safer than following the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) schedule (http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/parents/downloads/parent-ver-sch-0-6yrs.pdf). A primary concern is the number of vaccines administered, both on a single day and cumulatively over the first 2 years of life. In a new study scheduled for publication in The Journal of Pediatrics, researchers concluded that there is no association between receiving “too many vaccines too soon” and autism.

Dr. Frank DeStefano and colleagues from the CDC and Abt Associates, Inc. analyzed data from 256 children with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and 752 children without ASD (born from 1994-1999) from 3 managed care organizations. They looked at each child’s cumulative exposure to antigens, the substances in vaccines that cause the body’s immune system to produce antibodies to fight disease, and the maximum number of antigens each child received in a single day of vaccination.

The researchers determined the total antigen numbers by adding the number of different antigens in all vaccines each child received in one day, as well as all vaccines each child received up to 2 years of age. The authors found that the total antigens from vaccines received by age 2 years, or the maximum number received on a single day, was the same between children with and without ASD. Furthermore, when comparing antigen numbers, no relationship was found when they evaluated the sub-categories of autistic disorder and ASD with regression.

Although the current routine childhood vaccine schedule contains more vaccines than the schedule in the late 1990s, the maximum number of antigens that a child could be exposed to by 2 years of age in 2013 is 315, compared with several thousand in the late 1990s. Because different types of vaccines contain varying amounts of antigens, this research acknowledged that merely counting the number of vaccines received does not adequately account for how different vaccines and vaccine combinations stimulate the immune system. For example, the older whole cell pertussis vaccine causes the production of about 3000 different antibodies, whereas the newer acellular pertussis vaccine causes the production of 6 or fewer different antibodies.

An infant’s immune system is capable of responding to a large amount of immunologic stimuli and, from time of birth, infants are exposed to hundreds of viruses and countless antigens outside of vaccination. According to the authors, “The possibility that immunological stimulation from vaccines during the first 1 or 2 years of life could be related to the development of ASD is not well-supported by what is known about the neurobiology of ASDs.” In 2004, a comprehensive review by the Institute of Medicine concluded that there is not a causal relationship between certain vaccine types and autism, and this study supports that conclusion.

PortiaRose
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:07 PM
wooow. is that true??

Quoting anotherhalf:

Turns out Jenny Mccarthy's kid may have been misdiagnosed and never had autism.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TrouserMouse
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:08 PM
1 mom liked this

They need research and studies to find the cause. I am not sure why that would piss you off. I have never seen anything that claims to have the answer 100%.  I have only seen correlations which is how we get on paths that lead us closer and closer to real answers.

Quoting Anonymous:

Which is why these studies piss me off most.

If years from now they find the definitive cause and I have to confront a cause I was responsible for bringing about then ill be the first to admit fault.

But until then, no one should claim its anything until they're 100% sure.

Quoting TrouserMouse:

anotherhalf
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:25 PM
Apparently his symptoms and recovery are more consistent with Landau-Kleffner Syndrome than Autism.

Quoting PortiaRose:

wooow. is that true??

Quoting anotherhalf:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
liliem
by Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-kirby/post2468343_b_2468343.html   Vaccine Court awards MILLIONS to 2 children for autism. Explain that...

liliem
by Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 10:41 AM
2 moms liked this

There are so many stories of 'CURED" kids taht were detoxed of the metals from the vaccines, and the medical establishment can't explain them so this is what they do... Do your research... I read thinktwice.com of thousands of posts of reactions to vaccines from parents and people. 

Quoting anotherhalf:

Apparently his symptoms and recovery are more consistent with Landau-Kleffner Syndrome than Autism.

Quoting PortiaRose:

wooow. is that true??

Quoting anotherhalf:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)