Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Broken Hearted kind of long

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies
I'm so broken hearted because my nephew that turn 21yrs old last wk neither one of his parents want him. It breaks my heart because the first 3yrs of his life he spent it with me most of the time. I had told his mom that I didn't have a problem in raising him he was with me most of the time anyway. I told her i'll do it with 1condition. It has to be done me having custody of him. I don't want for when ever you want to come take him from me. She said no. She use to come visit him at my place. Why not just me custody. Schizophrenia is his condition. Since the child support checks stop coming in. Now his mom wants his father to take him. He doesn't want him either. If my nephew knows this I could imagine how his heart must be broken in Alot of pieces. Thank you for your time just needed to VENT. Update: Spoke to the father understand why he can't take him at the moment. Mom has control of the money my nephew receives. Wants him to go but wants to keep managing my nephews money. That doesn't make sense to me.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 1, 2013 at 5:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kerryket
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 5:48 PM
1 mom liked this
That must be hard to watch, so what's going to happen with him now?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 1, 2013 at 5:59 PM
Not sure yet. I'm praying so much for him.

Quoting kerryket:

That must be hard to watch, so what's going to happen with him now?

KrazyLoveMommy
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:15 PM
1 mom liked this
If a mentally ill person is unable to take care of themselves, the main caregiver can still go after child support.
My son is severely mentally ill and its hard. Very hard. But I do it. I can't imagine not
I give you so much credit for being there!!!!!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
susan115
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:24 PM
2 moms liked this

Wow.  Is there a good social worker, who can help both you and your nephew.  You must be such a good person for caring for him all these years, it must be hard for him, not be wanted by your parents.

Francess33
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, find a social worker or case manager! They can help with the ins and outs of the system. Good luck! 

healingone
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, check with your county mental health agency!  He needs a case manager given the disease, and if he doesn't already have one, they will assign him one once he sets up an appointment.  ONce he is receiving services, then they are able to help determine courses of action.  You can explain to him that he really really needs to get linked up with the county for mental health services because they are the ones who can provide him with supportive services, which may include supported housing, but if they don't know about him, they can't help him.  Since he's 21, it's not like he needs parental signers for forms etc., and they can determine if he has enough capacity to understand what they are saying, if he is on appropriate meds, can assess him for needed services, etc.  Prayers and Blessings!!!

catrig
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momto3B
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:33 PM
1 mom liked this

You are a wonderful Aunt and although his parents are terrible, he has you. At 21 he is an adult, can he still live with you? He is going to need all the love and support he can get.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 2, 2013 at 6:10 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you for that information. I didn't know. You're a great mom.

Quoting KrazyLoveMommy:

If a mentally ill person is unable to take care of themselves, the main caregiver can still go after child support.

My son is severely mentally ill and its hard. Very hard. But I do it. I can't imagine not

I give you so much credit for being there!!!!!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 2, 2013 at 6:13 AM
I've been trying to get in contact with him but no luck. I'm hoping he doesn't know.

Quoting susan115:

Wow.  Is there a good social worker, who can help both you and your nephew.  You must be such a good person for caring for him all these years, it must be hard for him, not be wanted by your parents.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)