Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

toxic mom

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this
It seems like everyone has what you don't have-I'm referring to having my mother that has spent more time criticizing me since I was a child, never supportive, and it included the kids especially during the difficult time when I was leaving an abusive relationship. She actually wanted me to think about going back so that 'she wouldn't have to tell anyone that we were no longer together', which hurt or that my boys will be like the ex and she'd chuckle.

Through therapy I understand I needed to leave behind toxic relationships that included my ex and mother, leave the self blame behind and appreciate today.

The family gently nudges me to reconnect with my mother but I don't miss what I never had and my instinct says I will be taking a large step back in my life.

For anyone who has left behind negativity, whether it is a family member or friends, do you ever reconnect? I don't have anger, I'm not bashing or arguing with her, but I worry greatly of how that mean spirit around me will change me and I never want to hurt others, especially my kids.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MzXotica757
by New Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Ive been there done that and I left that life behind and my life is so much in a better and my kids dont have to be subjected to that type of atmosphere. Girl u are not missing out on anything forget what others are suggesting. Do you. 

panther79
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I have found that once I cut someone out of my life it is better for me to leave it that way.

anotherhalf
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:39 PM

I cut my father out of my life and never regretted it - its been over 15 years.  I'm no longer angry.  I can see the good in him, but the bad far outweighs it.  For me, leaving him behind was like a cleansing.  It's like a huge weight lifted, the dark clouds parted, any of those types of metaphors fit. :)

just1moremeans4
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:00 PM

wow as i read this my very own mother is posting about me on fb and how "terrible" i am. i have cut ties with her and my family before, they try to repair the relationship but then just end up screwing up again and i have to get bitchy with them and tell them to go on. i feel you! and my life is so much happier without any of them around.

MomTiara19
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:06 AM

I have been through alot in my life when it comes to this topic.

I finally came to an emotionally melt down with my step dad.We didnt speak for several months but now I feel we have finally made ammends.

The other issue now is with my inlaws.This relationship is very toxic.I hope that one day we could have a better relationship....but for now it is at least polite and cordial.

You really have to weigh out the pros and cons in the situation.If your mom is emotionally abusive and toxic to you and your kids it is not worth full connection.

Why not send cards on birthday and holidays,keep phone calls brief,make any visits quick....and leave if the conversation turns toxic.

This way you connect but keep up respectful boundaries.

AleaKat
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this
The few toxic ppl I left behind I did try to reconnect with and it bit me in the ass.
After a little while they showed that they'd never really changed at all.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:15 PM
She sounds like my parents. After my xh have me 2 black eyes and a broken nose they didn't push for me to leave him or offer help or anything. They wanted me to get out of my own mess. All I Needed was someone to help turn me in the right direction.
JTE11
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:17 PM

I'm of the opinion that toxic people need to be cut out, and it doesn't matter who they are to you.  Almost the entire side of the family that is my dad's side has been cut out because they are toxic dirtbags, always causing drama amongst themselves and even trying to stir things up with my dad, who hasn't spoken to them except in passing in over 30 years. Sometimes you can try reconciliation but that takes the effort of two people. If the other party isn't changing behavior or attitude there's no point.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)