Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

How is you not having a wedding helping those who can't wed?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 5 Replies

This is something I've been thinking about for a bit now. You know how celebrities are like, "We're not getting married until everyone can." Well, how exactly is that helping those who can't? Your wedding isn't going to make changes in the world. Yeah, people might want to see you wed, but you're not really doing anything. Some might be influenced to vote a certain way because their favorite celebrity does, but that isn't what should do that. Argh....

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
psych_mom
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I think they use it as a reason to not marry instead of just saying they don't want to get married.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Yeah, I hate that the most, because it's like they are trying to give support to a cause but really they're just sick of the question.

Quoting psych_mom:

I think they use it as a reason to not marry instead of just saying they don't want to get married.

anotherhalf
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:17 PM
Same with hunger strikes. Makes no sense to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
liliem
by Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 1:34 AM

No I don't know. I don't get it. Who would say that? It makes no sense. Marriage is a legal contract based on the marriage laws. If you understand the laws and think you want them to dictate your relationship with your significant other and your children, then you get a license. Otherwise, you don't. It's pretty simple I think. If they won't help your situation and/or you don't want the government interferring, you are spiritually married and it doesn't matter whether you are legally married. Especially if you won't be getting divorced, don't need your husbands/wife's social security, don't need the exemption if you guys have a lot of money and want to pay all the extra taxes to the government, etc. Legal marriage needs to be left to the lawyers... Otherwise it makes no sense and anyone who says otherwise should learn about the legal system before they open their mouth. Its obviously a media tool. I think the government wants it, it'll bring a shit ton of money to them in license fees and divorce charges... More so than what they would lose taxwise - for the wealthy homosexuals. 

catrig
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:30 PM

It's to make people think.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN