Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

So tired of hearing how discipline is abusive.....

Posted by   + Show Post

I keep reading posts on cafe mom or hearing things about parents being abusive because they are washing their mouths out with soap or a child is getting spanked.  I got my mouth washed out with soap when I was little, I got hot sauce or pepper on my tongue for saying bad words, I also got spankings (sometimes with a belt) - when it was warranted. I am 32 years old and I am just fine.  My husband and I plan on giving our daughter spankings, if we feel that she needs it.  We were both given spankings and did not take it at abuse, nor are we traumatized, today, because of them.  Sometimes fussing or a slap on the hand/wrist does not always work.  It seems that parents, today, let their children be in charge, almost like they are scared of them.  Whatever happened to good old fashioned discipline?  Why are parents today so afraid to give their children spankings, like we received as children?  When I was in Grammar School, they had other schools and Jr. Highs that gave out spankings in school. 

confused

*EDIT*  I GUESS I NEED TO EDIT THIS POST TO CLARIFY, BECAUSE SOME ARE TAKING IT THE WRONG WAY.  I MEAN DISCIPLINE IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM; PHYSICAL OR VERBAL. 

by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 9:54 AM
Replies (101-101):
enlightened_24
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:00 PM

I wish it worked that way in my house. My feelings about things usually dont mean squat to my DH and this is one of the only things he has told me NOT to do and I dont really care. I take into consideration his feelings about everything but this is something I put my foot down over. I do greatly appreciate the advice though!

Quoting Anonymous:

I would not be so care free or flippant about this if I were you. I washed my dd's mouth out with soap over a year ago and my dh is still upset with me about it to this day (he was adamantly opposed to me doing it). His feeling was that he's her father and I did not respect his feelings on this which he said he would never do to me if the situation were reversed (I will admit he wouldn't). He could not give me an alternative to curb my daughter's mouth when I was at my wits end so I made the executive decision after warning my dd and did it. With that said, If I knew my dh was going to get this upset about it I may not have done it and tried to figure something else out. I think it's very important for you and your dh to be on the same page when it comes to these kinds of things.

Quoting enlightened_24:

HAHAHA my DH says I cant wash my sons mouth out with soap and I told him he cant be there all the time to protect him LOL If he needs it, you bet your ass I will do it. I am not raising hellions in my house!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)