Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Effective communication skills...

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:37 AM
  • 4 Replies

Why is it that most people that lack effective communication skills have little to no desire to correct this problem? Maybe it's because they really don't know that it's a problem? Maybe they don't think that their communication skills are that bad? I don't know the answer, I'm not looking for one. I just find it terribly sad that people aren't given the tools to communicate effectively in their life as children. I'm not perfect in any way. I didn't learn how communicate effectively until recently and I'm in my 30's...hell, I'm still learning. How can we prevent this from happening to our children? We must strive to make our children better people than we are correct? Learn from our mistakes with the hopes that they will too? That's why we talk to our kids, teach them, and most importantly, learn from them as well...isn't it? I've made a ton of mistakes and mother and I am more than willing to own to them. I've made even more mistakes as a person, which I am willing to own them as well. That's the first step to me anyway. Instead of focusing on the problem, try focusing on the solution. Don't worry so much as to how it got there just yet. Focus on how to get out of it, then focus on how not to get there again. That's what my hubs does and I try to take my cue from him in that manner. That is all.

by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:44 AM

people just get stuck in their ways, and have a hard time changing...when a person gets fed up, that's when change takes place

kss12
by Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:54 AM
To be honest, I think it's the constant technology going on around kids that make them lack in communication. Many parents have the tv in the background, let their TODDLERS play on cell phones (I saw an around 2 year old navigating on a cell phone better than I can). I have a ss whose communication is awful, he stutters, can not spit words out, you ask him a question and you have to rephrase the question or repeat yourself or even explain what the question means, he is 10. TEN! What?!?! And the questions I'm referring to are "what time did you wake up?" SIMPLE QUESTIONS A 3 YEAR OLD SHOULD BE ABLE TO ANSWER. He is now not allowed on his iPhone anymore and not allowed to play video games. He is not plugged in to ANYTHING. I'm not sure what it is. As I am writing this he just said.. OUT OF NO WHERE.. If you lay upside down and look at the light the light is on the floor. Where do these things come from?! Ahh! I hear him outside with friends and everything they say is "your mom". Weird! I think it's be dumbing down of children via cell phone, iPads, Internet access and video games!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
catrig
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:29 PM

My spouse and I both had to learn effective communication.

psych_mom
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:37 PM

I am teaching my children the difference between hearing someone and listening to someone. This goes a long way in communicating. I think as parents it is important that we listen to our children's feedback as well so they know that we are hearing what they are saying, not just listening and then forgetting. When I tell my kids something important, I have them repeat it back to me- if they can't, I tell them again and say "this time I want you to hear what I am saying, not just listen and let it go out the other ear".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)