Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

I'm so annoyed at my friends right now.

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:45 AM
  • 49 Replies
1 mom liked this

So I was at one of those mommy circle support group luncheon things today.

So a few of my "mommy" friends think that I'm just outdated, old fashioned, and well to say it in their terms "Jess you're just a nut. Absolutely crazy." or the "You just make me laugh. You're so silly."

Okay so pardon me if I think EVERYONE should learn Latin in at least starting Jr. High. Latin is not a dead language! We use it every single day. You know, that mammogram we ladies need. Yup Latin. Or how about a hysterectomy that a lot of women have to have when they get older. We ALL know these terms, they're Latin. And let's skip from the medical terms for a moment just to avoid the argument that it's only doctors. So yeah, you know that "-ology" class that we all took at one time or another. You know, the "Biology" or the "Psychology" class. Hey! Looky there, Latin too!

These languages translate verbally world wide! I mean

Spanish and Portuguese "Biologia" "Mamographia"

French and German "Biologie" "Mammographie"

Russian... "biologiya" "mammographiya"

<.< Not hard to tell it's Biology and mammogram

I mean do people realize how much Latin we use on a day to day basis, and that if we learned this in schools along side English that come high school when kids need to start learning a foreign language, it'd be so much easier than it currently is!?!

Ah it makes me want to rip my hair out!

And classical music. Is it so odd that I think it should be taught to every child? I mean, there is so much proof showing how classical music actually improves test scores in students. That music actually physically affects our brain waves. I mean many studies have been done on plants even showing differences in growth. I mean we don't play heavy metal and rap or pop music to put a kid down for a nice calming peaceful nap, so why would we want our kids growing up listening to these things while they're at school or home studying?!?

I just don't understand how the general population can't see the logical common sense of it all!

I get the whole individual "I like what I like." mentality. I like all kinds of music. Do I want classical music playing while I'm at home, chillin', and cleaning my house: No. But do I play it when I am studying or needing to relax at the end of the day: Yes. Is my son enrolled and taking classical music: Yes. Am I going to stop him from learning to play the guitar or drums later on if he wants to: No.

And why in the hell do we have co-ed schools?!?

We all know that girls and boys learn differently. We know this, we know this, we know this. OMG do we know this. Mom's we say it all the time. "Boy's are more active." "Boy's are more hands on." when a girl rolls around rough housing in the mud we don't laugh it off saying "Girls will be girls." but we do for boys. So why has it become common practice for use to teach them all together? We have studies proving that girls educationally mature faster than boys.

Wouldn't be beneficial to both girls and boys if they can go to school, connect with like minded peers, and not have to worry about "impressing" the opposite gender.  Research Link

It's not a sexist thing, it's not an equality thing. IT'S AVOIDING COOKIE CUTTER THOUGHT PATTERNS!

I can not see how the world is advancing so far ahead but we've just become lazier in our ability to think beyond what is taught to us. We think "Oh this would be nice, but budget cuts." there's ways to have your cake and eat it too! It's called baking one for the future while eating the current one!

*seeths*

NOTE THIS IS NOT AN ATTACK ON CM MOMS.

It's just me ranting and raving about socio psychological behaviors that are not necessarily beneficial for society as a whole and how for some reason the mass general population is okay with them.

I understand that there are moms out there fighting this fight with me in ways such as pulling their kids from "cookie cutter schools" and placing them into different learning institutions and/or home schooling them.

by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
psych_mom
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I can see your point to a certain degree, but not completely. Hands on learning is a way of visual learning and there are plenty of girls that are visual learners and plenty of boys that are not. My husband can read the directions to something and do it. I learn better by being shown and just doing it. Often times I just sit down and figure it out on my own because I learn best that way- with my hands. You are putting boys and girls into cookie cutter molds based on their sex, when it should be on individuality.

There are other countries, such as Finland, that have co-ed schools and they have the best schools in the world. It is all about the approach to education- they don't focus on the pressure of standardized test, they focus on quality, but yet they have the highest test scores in the world.

I believe that a good teacher can teach both types of students and teach them well. If they cannot adapt to how different children learn, they they shouldn't be teaching. I believe most teachers go into a classroom knowing there are different learning styles and that each student is an individual and they mix things up in the classroom to keep all students involved.

As for learning Latin- go for it. I already have enough on my plate with French, German and soon to be Spanish, lol. And although I enjoy classical music, not every child can play an instrument, but my 10 year old genus can listen to any song and sit down at the piano and play it back to you (I am so jealous of this, lol).

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 8, 2013 at 8:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I am annoyed with my friends too, but for completely different reasons...mine think i should just drop everything at their beck and call and that i have no life with 3 teens in the house...smh

fullxbusymom
by Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 8:29 AM

I see your point a bit. However, I disagree just as many girls are physical and hands on learns just are there are just as many boys who aren't. 

Sorry but I have NEVER needed Latin in my life ever nor has anyone I have every known.  I also have friends and family from every walk of life.  I see no benefit and just because some of our words come originally from Latin doesn't change this that it is a dying language.

Also for some yes I can see classical music but for most no honestly I see no benefit or actual NEED.  I would literally pull my hair out of head and go insane if I was expected to listen to it. 

However, to call you nuts or crazy, not called for.  Different than a lot of people opt to do things, yes.  This doesn't make you any better or worse, just different in your thought process of some others. 

MamaAjax
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 8:48 AM

True.

I was basing my rant off of South Korea though. I didn't link my information for it which I know I should. However (If I am correct in my information) S.Korea ties Finland (or at least follows in a close second) then we have Hong Kong, Japan, and Singapore which these have a more similar education testing standard approach similar to the United States except the fact that they have more single sex schooling. Western education systems are quickly losing ground to Eastern systems. Link for study research information NASSPE.

As for the cookie cutter molds I mean standardized testings. When you break the co-ed cycle to education tests then get more specific for the school and classrooms.

As for you and your husband. I understand, that's more of the exception and would not affect any learning differences that I am discussing in the co-ed vrs single sex education system.

what I am discussing is more to this:

In 2008, the US government sponsored a study, Early Implementation of Public Single-Sex Schools: Perceptions and Characteristics, which listed the benefits of single-sex schools:

1. Decreases distractions in learning.
  2. Reduces student behavior problems.
  3. Provides more leadership opportunities.
  4. Promotes a sense of community among students and staff.
  5. Improves student self-esteem.
  6. Addresses unique learning styles and interests of boys or girls.
  7. Decreases sex bias in teacher-student interactions.
  8. Improves student achievement.
  9. Decreases the academic problems of low achieving students.
  10. Reduces sexual harassment among students.
  11. Provides more positive student role models.
  12. Allows for more opportunities to provide social and moral guidance.
  13. Provides choice in public education.

Then in 2009 The Teachers College Record published a study that showed that in majority of cases, the effect of the interaction between boys and girls within co-education schools resulted in less homework being completed, a lower enjoyment of school participation, and lower reading and math scores overall.

As far as the classical music. I didn't mean instrument though I used my son as an example therefore I should have clarified my meaning better. I know that's highly unlikely to teach all kids that. I spent years learning the flute, and still hate it. I meant that we need more exposure inside the homes and at school teaching kids classical music. I know so many kids who can tell me all about Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, and so many more artists but they can't tell me who Bach is.

Quoting psych_mom:

You are putting boys and girls into cookie cutter molds based on their sex, when it should be on individuality.

There are other countries, such as Finland, that have co-ed schools and they have the best schools in the world. It is all about the approach to education- they don't focus on the pressure of standardized test, they focus on quality, but yet they have the highest test scores in the world.

MamaAjax
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 8:59 AM

BTW Bien joué! We're a multi-lingual family as well.  No German here, and I leave the Spanish to my DS and his Godmother, she speaks in Spanish and I'll answer in English. I quickly gave that one up because I kept interchanging my French.
Bonne chance!

Quoting psych_mom:

As for learning Latin- go for it. I already have enough on my plate with French, German and soon to be Spanish, lol.

psych_mom
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:05 AM
My husband knows Finnish and is learning Chinese. By the time we reach old age who knows how many more languages we'll collect, lol.

Quoting MamaAjax:

BTW Bien joué! We're a multi-lingual family as well.  No German here, and I leave the Spanish to my DS and his Godmother, she speaks in Spanish and I'll answer in English. I quickly gave that one up because I kept interchanging my French.
Bonne chance!

Quoting psych_mom:

As for learning Latin- go for it. I already have enough on my plate with French, German and soon to be Spanish, lol.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaAjax
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Never said we needed it.

I said we USE it every day and it would go to better improve our ability to learn in high school, both in our regular classes and in foreign language classes.  If you say the word "Lingual" you're using Latin. I am multi-lingual. It translates to  literally "I am multiple tongues" or loosely as "I speak in multiple tongues."

If you go to a doctor and they say you need a mammogram (mammo= breasts gram=x-ray image) or that you have tendinitis (-itis means inflammation). 

You're hearing Latin.

When you sit down to help your child with their Biology class a lot of those words are Latin. The word Biology itself is Latin

annu is Latin for annual.

if you say your anti it means your against something or the opposite of it. (BTW. That's Latin too)

auto = self. Automatic transmission?

We use it every day in many things that people just no longer tend to think about. So saying it's a dying language is a misconception. It's not that it's dead, it's just no longer formally taught to the general mass of society.

And while it has no distinctly applicable use that say, basic mathematics might have in our day to day life. It does have it's use over a wide range of areas that can consist as something simple such as a better understanding of the words we speak today and a better mastery over our communication skills or consist as something more complex and subtle such as a better mastery over the understanding and learning ability in our Sciences both in the areas of "Hard" Sciences such as Biology and Chemistry and "Soft" Sciences such as Psychology and Sociology. 

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Sorry but I have NEVER needed Latin in my life ever nor has anyone I have every known.  I also have friends and family from every walk of life.  I see no benefit and just because some of our words come originally from Latin doesn't change this that it is a dying language.

psych_mom
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Finland is first and S. Korea is second. I would love it if America followed Finland's school model. They pay teachers like we pay lawyers and doctors. You can pick what type of education your child gets, the teachers get to pick their curriculum and everyone gets to go to college. They still have to do standardized testing, but that is not what they focus on- they focus on making education something kids enjoy.

I do not think my husband and I are an exception to the rule of hands on leanring and whatnot when it comes to the sexes. I am sure there are plenty of girls out there that learn "hands" on better than they do just by reading or someone just telling them what to do. I think it is just a common misconception and I am sure if I took the time to look for psychological resources to back this I could find plenty. Learning style is individual and there are several different styles. I think you are confusing behavioral issues (such as not being able to sit still and such) and learning styles.

Quoting MamaAjax:

True.

I was basing my rant off of South Korea though. I didn't link my information for it which I know I should. However (If I am correct in my information) S.Korea ties Finland (or at least follows in a close second) then we have Hong Kong, Japan, and Singapore which these have a more similar education testing standard approach similar to the United States except the fact that they have more single sex schooling. Western education systems are quickly losing ground to Eastern systems. Link for study research information NASSPE.

As for the cookie cutter molds I mean standardized testings. When you break the co-ed cycle to education tests then get more specific for the school and classrooms.

As for you and your husband. I understand, that's more of the exception and would not affect any learning differences that I am discussing in the co-ed vrs single sex education system.

what I am discussing is more to this:

In 2008, the US government sponsored a study, Early Implementation of Public Single-Sex Schools: Perceptions and Characteristics, which listed the benefits of single-sex schools:

1. Decreases distractions in learning.
  2. Reduces student behavior problems.
  3. Provides more leadership opportunities.
  4. Promotes a sense of community among students and staff.
  5. Improves student self-esteem.
  6. Addresses unique learning styles and interests of boys or girls.
  7. Decreases sex bias in teacher-student interactions.
  8. Improves student achievement.
  9. Decreases the academic problems of low achieving students.
  10. Reduces sexual harassment among students.
  11. Provides more positive student role models.
  12. Allows for more opportunities to provide social and moral guidance.
  13. Provides choice in public education.

Then in 2009 The Teachers College Record published a study that showed that in majority of cases, the effect of the interaction between boys and girls within co-education schools resulted in less homework being completed, a lower enjoyment of school participation, and lower reading and math scores overall.

As far as the classical music. I didn't mean instrument though I used my son as an example therefore I should have clarified my meaning better. I know that's highly unlikely to teach all kids that. I spent years learning the flute, and still hate it. I meant that we need more exposure inside the homes and at school teaching kids classical music. I know so many kids who can tell me all about Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, and so many more artists but they can't tell me who Bach is.

Quoting psych_mom:

You are putting boys and girls into cookie cutter molds based on their sex, when it should be on individuality.

mommysangelface
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:25 AM
So you are annoyed cuz they don't agree with you?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fullxbusymom
by Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:29 AM

I disagree Latin was around when I went to school and most of the students who took it even those with extremely high GPA's could not understand Latin and often dropped it or failed.  It helped nothing and did not improve or help their ability to learn actually it hindered it. Hence their choice to stop offering it and add Mandarin Chinese in its place. 

Quoting MamaAjax:

Never said we needed it.

I said we USE it every day and it would go to better improve our ability to learn in high school, both in our regular classes and in foreign language classes.  If you say the word "Lingual" you're using Latin. I am multi-lingual. It translates to  literally "I am multiple tongues" or loosely as "I speak in multiple tongues."

If you go to a doctor and they say you need a mammogram (mammo= breasts gram=x-ray image) or that you have tendinitis (-itis means inflammation). 

You're hearing Latin.

When you sit down to help your child with their Biology class a lot of those words are Latin. The word Biology itself is Latin

annu is Latin for annual.

if you say your anti it means your against something or the opposite of it. (BTW. That's Latin too)

auto = self. Automatic transmission?

We use it every day in many things that people just no longer tend to think about. So saying it's a dying language is a misconception. It's not that it's dead, it's just no longer formally taught to the general mass of society.

And while it has no distinctly applicable use that say, basic mathematics might have in our day to day life. It does have it's use over a wide range of areas that can consist as something simple such as a better understanding of the words we speak today and a better mastery over our communication skills or consist as something more complex and subtle such as a better mastery over the understanding and learning ability in our Sciences both in the areas of "Hard" Sciences such as Biology and Chemistry and "Soft" Sciences such as Psychology and Sociology. 

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)