Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

I'm so annoyed at my friends right now.

Posted by   + Show Post

So I was at one of those mommy circle support group luncheon things today.

So a few of my "mommy" friends think that I'm just outdated, old fashioned, and well to say it in their terms "Jess you're just a nut. Absolutely crazy." or the "You just make me laugh. You're so silly."

Okay so pardon me if I think EVERYONE should learn Latin in at least starting Jr. High. Latin is not a dead language! We use it every single day. You know, that mammogram we ladies need. Yup Latin. Or how about a hysterectomy that a lot of women have to have when they get older. We ALL know these terms, they're Latin. And let's skip from the medical terms for a moment just to avoid the argument that it's only doctors. So yeah, you know that "-ology" class that we all took at one time or another. You know, the "Biology" or the "Psychology" class. Hey! Looky there, Latin too!

These languages translate verbally world wide! I mean

Spanish and Portuguese "Biologia" "Mamographia"

French and German "Biologie" "Mammographie"

Russian... "biologiya" "mammographiya"

<.< Not hard to tell it's Biology and mammogram

I mean do people realize how much Latin we use on a day to day basis, and that if we learned this in schools along side English that come high school when kids need to start learning a foreign language, it'd be so much easier than it currently is!?!

Ah it makes me want to rip my hair out!

And classical music. Is it so odd that I think it should be taught to every child? I mean, there is so much proof showing how classical music actually improves test scores in students. That music actually physically affects our brain waves. I mean many studies have been done on plants even showing differences in growth. I mean we don't play heavy metal and rap or pop music to put a kid down for a nice calming peaceful nap, so why would we want our kids growing up listening to these things while they're at school or home studying?!?

I just don't understand how the general population can't see the logical common sense of it all!

I get the whole individual "I like what I like." mentality. I like all kinds of music. Do I want classical music playing while I'm at home, chillin', and cleaning my house: No. But do I play it when I am studying or needing to relax at the end of the day: Yes. Is my son enrolled and taking classical music: Yes. Am I going to stop him from learning to play the guitar or drums later on if he wants to: No.

And why in the hell do we have co-ed schools?!?

We all know that girls and boys learn differently. We know this, we know this, we know this. OMG do we know this. Mom's we say it all the time. "Boy's are more active." "Boy's are more hands on." when a girl rolls around rough housing in the mud we don't laugh it off saying "Girls will be girls." but we do for boys. So why has it become common practice for use to teach them all together? We have studies proving that girls educationally mature faster than boys.

Wouldn't be beneficial to both girls and boys if they can go to school, connect with like minded peers, and not have to worry about "impressing" the opposite gender.  Research Link

It's not a sexist thing, it's not an equality thing. IT'S AVOIDING COOKIE CUTTER THOUGHT PATTERNS!

I can not see how the world is advancing so far ahead but we've just become lazier in our ability to think beyond what is taught to us. We think "Oh this would be nice, but budget cuts." there's ways to have your cake and eat it too! It's called baking one for the future while eating the current one!

*seeths*

NOTE THIS IS NOT AN ATTACK ON CM MOMS.

It's just me ranting and raving about socio psychological behaviors that are not necessarily beneficial for society as a whole and how for some reason the mass general population is okay with them.

I understand that there are moms out there fighting this fight with me in ways such as pulling their kids from "cookie cutter schools" and placing them into different learning institutions and/or home schooling them.

by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:45 AM
Replies (11-20):
MamaAjax
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Hey that's a good thing! I know French and Latin formally; Currently working on Hindi at school. I know Spanish informally (took two classes in college). DH knows Hindi, Nepali, Maithili formally, he's working on Latin at school. DS is learning Spanish, French, and Hindi. He get's his Spanish and his French mixed up so he's been refusing lately to speak to me in it, but he adores his godmother so he keeps up with the Spanish. 

Quoting psych_mom:

My husband knows Finnish and is learning Chinese. By the time we reach old age who knows how many more languages we'll collect, lol.

Quoting MamaAjax:

BTW Bien joué! We're a multi-lingual family as well.  No German here, and I leave the Spanish to my DS and his Godmother, she speaks in Spanish and I'll answer in English. I quickly gave that one up because I kept interchanging my French.
Bonne chance!

Quoting psych_mom:

As for learning Latin- go for it. I already have enough on my plate with French, German and soon to be Spanish, lol.

psych_mom
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:33 AM

I am having to refresh in the French because I took it in HS (3 years) and didn't use it very much. I can still read it very well though. I took German last year and will be taking more this summer and then I will take Spanish after that. My dh taught himself Finnish (he has a talent for languages) and has been taking Chinese in college. He loves languages so I am sure he will take many more. The kids always ask us to teach them different words and phrases. Hopefully they will show more than a passing interest soon.

Quoting MamaAjax:

Hey that's a good thing! I know French and Latin formally; Currently working on Hindi at school. I know Spanish informally (took two classes in college). DH knows Hindi, Nepali, Maithili formally, he's working on Latin at school. DS is learning Spanish, French, and Hindi. He get's his Spanish and his French mixed up so he's been refusing lately to speak to me in it, but he adores his godmother so he keeps up with the Spanish. 

Quoting psych_mom:

My husband knows Finnish and is learning Chinese. By the time we reach old age who knows how many more languages we'll collect, lol.

Quoting MamaAjax:

BTW Bien joué! We're a multi-lingual family as well.  No German here, and I leave the Spanish to my DS and his Godmother, she speaks in Spanish and I'll answer in English. I quickly gave that one up because I kept interchanging my French.
Bonne chance!

Quoting psych_mom:

As for learning Latin- go for it. I already have enough on my plate with French, German and soon to be Spanish, lol.

mysticalmalissa
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm fluent in redneck, its becoming the world language.

MamaAjax
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:44 AM

No I'm annoyed at this:

Quote:

So a few of my "mommy" friends think that I'm just outdated, old fashioned, and well to say it in their terms "Jess you're just a nut. Absolutely crazy." or the "You just make me laugh. You're so silly."

It's becoming common place to just wave people off with name calling rather than supporting your own ideals with logical coherent mature debating.

The rest of the post was merely a continuing rant.

I go to a Network Group for Academic Mothers weekly. I've never had an issue before, we'd get together talk about hot topics in world news, about school, about kids. It was a place where mothers could get together and truly talk about and debate issues within our community and the world. Lately it's had a flux in new members and an exodus in old ones. Now the debates and discussions have decreased with more of a take on gossip and pop culture. Which don't get me wrong I don't mind that either, it's just I can't stand it when someone brings up and topic and it gets countered and instead of supporting their information or standing their ground they get childish and being with "name calling" no matter how mild or profain it is, it's just do right annoying. I love a good debate though and can walk away from them happy even if I'm proven wrong. 

Quoting mommysangelface:

So you are annoyed cuz they don't agree with you?

mommysangelface
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:47 AM
I just think its a silly reason.

I have friends who think things i teach my son are silly or wrong.

They say I'm nuts also. Lol

It is what it is. Just my opinion

Quoting MamaAjax:

No I'm annoyed at this:

Quote:

It's becoming common place to just wave people off with name calling rather than supporting your own ideals with logical coherent mature debating.

I go to a Network Group for Academic Mothers weekly. I've never had an issue before, we'd get together talk about hot topics in world news, about school, about kids. It was a place where mothers could get together and truly talk about and debate issues within our community and the world. Lately it's had a flux in new members and an exodus in old ones. Now the debates and discussions have decreased with more of a take on gossip and pop culture. Which don't get me wrong I don't mind that either, it's just I can't stand it when someone brings up and topic and it gets countered and instead of supporting their information or standing their ground they get childish and being with "name calling" no matter how mild or profain it is, it's just do right annoying. I love a good debate though and can walk away from them happy even if I'm proven wrong. 

Quoting mommysangelface:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaAjax
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

OMG Isn't it though. LOL, this just made me smile. TY!sidesplittinglaughter I grew up with appalachian speech and a Scottish accent. o.O Lot's of speech threapy classes save me when I got to school.

Quoting mysticalmalissa:

I'm fluent in redneck, its becoming the world language.

MamaAjax
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:52 AM

True it's fine in most circumstances, especially with close friends and family. Don't get me wrong I'm nuts. And I tend to be a class act with sarcastic humor whichs just cracks my friends up. What I'm saying is, it's becoming common for someone to bring up a topic for debate like "I don't think gay should marry. It's just wrong." and then someone comes in and counters it with "Well why not? It's my belief that they have this right...." and then the orginal person goes, "Oh you're just crazy." and walks away.  Call it a silly reason, but it drives me insane.

Quoting mommysangelface:

Quoting MamaAjax:

No I'm annoyed at this:

Quote:

Quoting mommysangelface:

mommysangelface
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:00 AM
I kinda agree with you but I think you are overreacting

Quoting MamaAjax:

True it's fine in most circumstances, especially with close friends and family. Don't get me wrong I'm nuts. And I tend to be a class act with sarcastic humor whichs just cracks my friends up. What I'm saying is, it's becoming common for someone to bring up a topic for debate like "I don't think gay should marry. It's just wrong." and then someone comes in and counters it with "Well why not? It's my belief that they have this right...." and then the orginal person goes, "Oh you're just crazy." and walks away.  Call it a silly reason, but it drives me insane.

Quoting mommysangelface:

Quoting MamaAjax:

No I'm annoyed at this:

Quote:

Quoting mommysangelface:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AleaKat
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Wish I had friends here to be annoyed at. Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaAjax
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:12 AM

hugsI'll be your friend and you can be annoyed at me!

Quoting AleaKat:

Wish I had friends here to be annoyed at. Lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)