Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Medicaid

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:38 PM
  • 19 Replies
1 mom liked this
So, at the beginning of February, I got a letter from the Medicaid office saying that I had to go in to determine if I was still still eligible. I forgot to go and i was gonna call sometime this month to see if I could still come in. Anyway, last month, I received another letter about the family's annual medicaid review that would be coming up soon. The letter stated that I would be receiving another letter stating when that appt would be. Well, I never got that letter. And today, I was sent another letter saying that my son's medicaid would be discontinued after June 14, 2013 because I failed to complete the annual review process. What has me confused is the fact that I NEVER got the letter that said when our annual review was. I could understand if they were going to discontinue my medicaid because I missed my appt...but why my son's? Luckily, we still have two months to get this all cleared up. I'm gonna call tomorrow and ask what's going on because this has me seriously confused. Hopefully, all I will have to do is re-apply later this month when I take my son back to the doctor. URG. *Also, please, no bashing me for the fact that I am on Medicaid.*
CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
csxt99
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Brave woman!  Name and picture- no anonymous!  As for the review, there should be some sort of appeal process that you can go through to try and keep your Medicaid. Hopefully, you can have everything done before the two months are up.  Good luck!

JenniferMiller0
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting csxt99:

Brave woman!  Name and picture- no anonymous!  As for the review, there should be some sort of appeal process that you can go through to try and keep your Medicaid. Hopefully, you can have everything done before the two months are up.  Good luck!

I am an honest and up front person. I tell it how it is and if people don't like it, than that's there problem. Yeah, I am seriously hoping all we have to do is reapply. I'm not as concerned with my medicaid because I never get sick. The only reason I got on it in the first place is because of my pregnancy. My son needs it to pay for his doctor visits and any ER visits we might have to make. For instance, a few months ago, he started running a high fever. When it hit 103, we took him to the ER. Well, someone there forgot to enter his Medicaid info into the computer and we got a bill for $890. I can't even imagine if we'd had to pay that out of pocket!
CafeMom Tickers
csxt99
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:06 PM

I know!  Hospital bills are frightening!  I, too, got Medicaid when I was pregnant with my oldest girl.  I worked six days a week and paid one-third of my weekly income for insurance, but it was only for me.  It was also very sucky insurance that covered no lab bills and I had to have bloodwork done weekly due to meds to keep me from miscarrying.  It also covered next to nothing for my pregnancy and delivery, so Medicaid was an absolute necessary thing for me to have.  I have no problem with people who need Medicaid, but I know that the sanctimommies on here get all up in arms over it.  I hope everything gets straightened out for you!

Mommytoaangel
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Mama dont feel bad im on medicad sp? 2 when i was pregnant with my boys an still on it cause i need meds to keep my medical condtions under control but before i was on it up until i was 4 months pp an they took it away no letter or nothing an i fought to get back on it pm me anytime if u have ?'s
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blondieinva80
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:30 PM
I hope you can get it straightened out...I am grateful for the medicaid I have for my son..his nicu stay alone was probably over $2 million dollars,not to mention all the doctor appointments after and RSV shots and physical therapy also
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JenniferMiller0
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Well, I'm glad for all the encouragment. My father in law said this happened as well with Jessie, my brother in law. he said all he had to do was call and schelude another appt and everything was fine.

catrig
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Call or go in.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 10, 2013 at 1:32 AM

All you have to do is go reapply after they discontinue it. It might take a little time, but you will get it back.

healingone
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Oh momma!  Beaurocracies can be a bear, and indeed, sometimes things fall through the cracks on each end.  As far as these things go, all family entitlements tend to be measured/determined collectively, per family. So the important thing now is just to get in there or call asap and explain the situation with your best professional , kind demeanor.  They will be able to let you know what the proper procedure to follow will be at this point, and if you stay kind and professional  and explain your concern that this not affect your son negatively, then they will be more likely to  do their  best to facilitate things.  Everyone in the system is overworked now with so many changes happening.  Blessings!!!  

MamaAjax
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 2:21 AM

I know medicaid is generally really good about getting things done. Never had to deal with them personally, but my SIL has medicaid, she says they're actually better than private insurance when it comes to the customer service. If it was food stamps, I'd be saying good luck. I've dealt with that once, and omg! it's just... not worth it.

As far as the letters. I don't know if it's just the U.S. Postal Service or Government in general, but I've been having random issues with mail. Like when we sent out our wedding invites. 5 people didn't get them, but they got the Thank You cards, but then some people who got the invites didn't get the Thank you cards. Its like WTF? Also I'm with Vocational Rehab, at least my worker is a really awesome guy. Randomly I won't get appointment letters, but he's generally nice enough to reschedule my appointment and issue me another letter. Which normally they're suppose to drop you for "no contact", because you're suppose to stay in monthly contact with them and you're not allowed to miss any of your appointments.  

Best bet is in the future mama, go to their access page set it up and go paperless.The only down side is you'll have to remember to log in and check for any updates. Though they might send letters if it's about renewing your application. Though again, I'm not 100% sure on this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)