Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"Customers of size"? Wtf? *EDIT EDIT*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 36 Replies

Mobile Photo

Ok so I just paid for a trip to SoCal on southwest to go to the TACA conference in Costa Mesa. Hotel is paid tickets bought. I'm looking for their baggage requirements and I stumble upon a section called "customers of size" aka fat people. I look at it. They can't make a fat person buy a second seat, but they "encourage" it for your comfort. The gage is 17 inches from armrest to armrest. WTF? Those are tiny seats! Maybe it's because I'm fat, but now I'm scared I'm going to get "approached about special accommodations". I don't want some southwest stick figure flight attendant to tell me I'm too fat. That will Totally ruin my trip! :-( here's a pic of me. You be the judge.

Am I a "person of size"? I'm freaking out now. :-(

****edit: ok so I had dh mark off my waist while standing against a wall. With my luv handles "unrestrained" lol I'm 18.5 inches wide. Like I said, my recliner is 17 inches and I fit snug.

Everyone who knows me IRL has said they've seen larger people than me fly without being asked to buy a second seat. I'm sure that's true, but I need this trip bad, so I'm going to sell some things to be ready to buy a second seat but if I don't have to, I'm going to give the 1-2 people I get sat with a Starbucks gift card for any discomfort I may cause.

Does this sound like a fair shake all around?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:00 AM
1 mom liked this
Well... Do YOU think you can fit into a 17 inch seat?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:02 AM
My recliner has a seat width of 17 inches and I sit on it every day. Numberically I know I do, but its more the perception I'm worried about.

Quoting Anonymous:

jadedcynic
by Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:02 AM
1 mom liked this

What I find best is to purchase 1 first class ticket, rather than worry about buying 2 cheap tickets. First class seats are much wider than coach.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:03 AM
Southwest doesn't do 1st class I don't think. They have business boarding but no 1st class.

Quoting jadedcynic:

What I find best is to purchase 1 first class ticket, rather than worry about buying 2 cheap tickets. First class seats are much wider than coach.

jadedcynic
by Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Yeah, I remembered that right after I typed it. I guess that's why I usually fly U.S. Air

Quoting Anonymous:

Southwest doesn't do 1st class I don't think. They have business boarding but no 1st class.

Quoting jadedcynic:

Razor_Leaf
by Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Sw airlines are ummmm rude...My mom flew from Ca to TX to see me and they said that she was making the plane unbalanced and moved her to a different seat...so they could be balanced...whatever..lol  My mom was 170lbs at the time...

United Air seems to be a little nicer though

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:06 AM
2 moms liked this
Don't worry about what other people think.

Quoting Anonymous:

My recliner has a seat width of 17 inches and I sit on it every day. Numberically I know I do, but its more the perception I'm worried about.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:09 AM
Yes
Sarah32882
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Probably heavy enough for them to ask and I'm not a stick figure so don't feel bad.

The airline makes more money selling a more expensive seat. IMO It's rude of them to approach a person and insist/ guilt trip people into buying the more expensive option. Don't let it ruin your trip if they approach you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:49 AM
Well legally, they can't charge me for a second seat. They encourage passengers to buy an additional seat so they aren't made to feel uncomfortable, whatever that means. Then they will refund it to you. I barely had the money for the single seat let alone paying double. Fat people want to travel too.

Quoting Sarah32882:

Probably heavy enough for them to ask and I'm not a stick figure so don't feel bad.

The airline makes more money selling a more expensive seat. IMO It's rude of them to approach a person and insist/ guilt trip people into buying the more expensive option. Don't let it ruin your trip if they approach you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)