Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

"Customers of size"? Wtf? *EDIT EDIT*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Mobile Photo

Ok so I just paid for a trip to SoCal on southwest to go to the TACA conference in Costa Mesa. Hotel is paid tickets bought. I'm looking for their baggage requirements and I stumble upon a section called "customers of size" aka fat people. I look at it. They can't make a fat person buy a second seat, but they "encourage" it for your comfort. The gage is 17 inches from armrest to armrest. WTF? Those are tiny seats! Maybe it's because I'm fat, but now I'm scared I'm going to get "approached about special accommodations". I don't want some southwest stick figure flight attendant to tell me I'm too fat. That will Totally ruin my trip! :-( here's a pic of me. You be the judge.

Am I a "person of size"? I'm freaking out now. :-(

****edit: ok so I had dh mark off my waist while standing against a wall. With my luv handles "unrestrained" lol I'm 18.5 inches wide. Like I said, my recliner is 17 inches and I fit snug.

Everyone who knows me IRL has said they've seen larger people than me fly without being asked to buy a second seat. I'm sure that's true, but I need this trip bad, so I'm going to sell some things to be ready to buy a second seat but if I don't have to, I'm going to give the 1-2 people I get sat with a Starbucks gift card for any discomfort I may cause.

Does this sound like a fair shake all around?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:56 AM
Replies (31-36):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:36 PM
I called and asked (seriously, they have dimensions for EVERYTHING lol) and its a 39 inch belt. When dh gets home ill use his tape measure and figure out if ill need one.

Quoting Anonymous:

Glad you got it figured out too!  I am a little bit smaller than you; most of my weight is in my hips and have small waist for my size, yet I needed a seat belt extender a few months ago.  It was awful!!!  I hated every bit of it.  You are very brave to post, even anonymous!  Hugs!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Apr. 12, 2013 at 1:27 AM
1 mom liked this

girl your good if you got to buy a second seat oh well but dont let that get you down you are beautiful enjoy your trip :)

Ayshren
by Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 2:19 AM

I think you will be fine.

momto3B
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 6:46 AM

Please buy the second seat, you will be more comfortable, both physically and emotionally, and so will everyone else. Why start  your trip feeling as though you have to apologize just for being on the plane. 

You need the vacation, flying is hard enough these days for everyone of every size. Make sure that you can relax!! 

Also, check with the airline, they may even give you a price break on a second seat just for being upfront about the need. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Apr. 12, 2013 at 7:00 AM

book your flight at an off time, that way there will most likely be two empty seats together and you won't have to pay for the one that is empty. 

xxshelbyxxx
by Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 9:20 AM
I think you sound like a very generous understanding person to offer that to the person sitting next to you.. But I also think that by your picture you'd unfortunately be considered a person of size. I'm not saying in MY eyes, just going by what I've seen happen IRL. My aunt is quite smaller then you and she was asked to buy a second seat :(

Just another way for them to make money I guess. Idk though I've never sat next to a "person of size" so maybe it isn't comfortable or fair to the person next to you. Not sure. But I think you're very considerate.

Quoting Anonymous:

Mobile Photo

Ok so I just paid for a trip to SoCal on southwest to go to the TACA conference in Costa Mesa. Hotel is paid tickets bought. I'm looking for their baggage requirements and I stumble upon a section called "customers of size" aka fat people. I look at it. They can't make a fat person buy a second seat, but they "encourage" it for your comfort. The gage is 17 inches from armrest to armrest. WTF? Those are tiny seats! Maybe it's because I'm fat, but now I'm scared I'm going to get "approached about special accommodations". I don't want some southwest stick figure flight attendant to tell me I'm too fat. That will Totally ruin my trip! :-( here's a pic of me. You be the judge.

Am I a "person of size"? I'm freaking out now. :-(

****edit: ok so I had dh mark off my waist while standing against a wall. With my luv handles "unrestrained" lol I'm 18.5 inches wide. Like I said, my recliner is 17 inches and I fit snug.

Everyone who knows me IRL has said they've seen larger people than me fly without being asked to buy a second seat. I'm sure that's true, but I need this trip bad, so I'm going to sell some things to be ready to buy a second seat but if I don't have to, I'm going to give the 1-2 people I get sat with a Starbucks gift card for any discomfort I may cause.

Does this sound like a fair shake all around?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN