Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

I could be overreacting

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:50 AM
  • 15 Replies

So, I have to step-daughters, 8 and 10, who live with their biological mother and step-father in OH. Well, we only have them for 6 weeks in the summer. Well, last year while they were with us, their mother and the girls insited on Skypeing with Danny, their step-father, for his birthday. Well, a couple months later was my birthday and I don't even think they know despite the fact that the oldest has her own cell phone. Am I overreacting in being upset over this? Am I looking into it too much? Because I'm really kind of hurt right now.

by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
psych_mom
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:51 AM

They may feel closer to the step father because of how much they are with him- they see you a total of 6 weeks out of 52 a year. Is there anyway you guys can see them on other school breaks so that you can build a stronger relationship with them?

KaylaBug89
by Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:02 PM

There really isn't. Their mother does everything in her power to make our lives difficult and plus they live in OH with her and my husband is stationed here in NC. She refuses to give up any other time willingly unless we're already in OH. So unless we go back to court, there's nothing we can do.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 12, 2013 at 1:10 AM

well yea dont think to much into it and let it bother you because yea they possibly are closer with there step dad but yea when they come around again mabe you and them can plan a fun week of activity's the first week thier there if their dad dont mind mabe you guys can go to the mall do shopping go out to eat buy fun stuff go home watch chick flicks and laugh talk cry bond :) play dress up make up let them do your hair just fun girly things they can do with you as their step mom some nice bonding ooo even baking but yes this will help get you guys closer and on the way home when they are ready to go back with their mom and step dad make sure they got your number and you got theirs and you guys can talk from time to time and you guys can even send email and so on but yes as time goes on with doing all this you guys all should be on a good track :)

liliem
by Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Yes, they live with him, he's more of a father than their bio. You are in their life 6 weeks out of 52 and not even related really. I'd get over it really quick. Sounds petty.

catrig
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 1:29 PM

They live with him.

misymac
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 1:40 PM

This is boarder line.. The 8 yrs old is not going to understand your hurt and the 10 year old is on the verge of understanding... then you factor in the fact that you only see them 6 out of 52 weeks in the year.. hmmm hard one to call.

What kind of relateionship do you have with bio mom? At this age Bio Mom should remind the girls to be more thoughful.. You should have you hubby speak to his x about this..

CotterpinDoozer
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 1:45 PM

They live with him, you're with them 6 weeks out of the year, and BM makes things difficult, I don't think it was meant as a direct slight to you. I think you should probably let it go.

AV made by NiamhWitch

anotherhalf
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Do you Skype them on their birthdays?  If not, you might want to start. 

KaylaBug89
by Member on Apr. 13, 2013 at 6:02 AM
Don't you ever say that he's more of a father. Sorry to jump on you'd but I've been hearing that for years from my husband's ex about every guy she has had in and out of that house, and there have been a lot. My husband does everything he can. He's a great father and just because he can't be there does not make Danny more of or a better father to those girls.

Quoting liliem:

Yes, they live with him, he's more of a father than their bio. You are in their life 6 weeks out of 52 and not even related really. I'd get over it really quick. Sounds petty.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KaylaBug89
by Member on Apr. 13, 2013 at 6:04 AM
We all but their mother always makes excuses as to why they can't Skype with us or why we can only talk for a little while.

Quoting anotherhalf:

Do you Skype them on their birthdays?  If not, you might want to start. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)