Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Praying before you eat lunch (in school)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 43 Replies
So, I was just at our local library. A group of kindergarten students were there for story time. Afterwards they went downstairs for lunch. Before they were allowed to eat the teacher made them "say their prayer." While I am not against praying, I would be against someone telling my child they could not eat until they said a prayer. How does something like this play out for a non-religious family? And, agree or disagree, there is no prayer in school, or so I thought.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
trailerrrtrash
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:47 PM
2 moms liked this

I would assume they were kids from a private school. They can't do that in public schools.

WillsMOM72
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:50 PM
2 moms liked this
My son and his classmates pray before they eat lunch, he goes to a private Christian school.
If parents don't agree with this they don't send there kids to a Christian school.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
2012Rabbit12
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Sorry, don't know what to say. i'm for prayer in schools, just like the 10 commandments is a good idea to teach right and wrong. but i know for sure it has been taken out for some time. i also understand how kids could be uncomfortable praying aloud in front of others. talk to ur kids teacher about ur concerns.

kailu1835
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Public school? Not ok. Private, fine. If a kid wants to pray over his meal, he has that right so lob as he does not disturb others, but the teacher cannot tell the students to pray.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
psych_mom
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this

It was probably a Christian school. This is why I don't make assumptions about things that I see out in public reguarding schools. You often don't know the full story and if you don't agree, it can get you upset and in the end you may be mad over nothing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 19, 2013 at 1:07 PM

We do not have any private or religious schools in our town. It was definitely the public school. I know this for a fact; I recognized the teacher.

Of course I understand they would pray in a Christian school. So no, I was not making any assumptions.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 19, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Go to the school and ask them about it

jazzgirl205
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:38 PM

My dd has attended 2 different public school systems that are in small southern towns.  If the teacher knows that all the students attend a Xian church, she has no problem getting them to say a prayer before they eat.  If a student holds different beliefs or none at all, they don't do the prayer.  I know a kindergarten teacher who prayed w/students one year and didn't the next year because one of her students didn't share those beliefs.  I think that's perfectly fine.

psych_mom
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Still, get all the facts. She may have sent permission slips home at the beginning of the year asking if this was okay.

Quoting Anonymous:

We do not have any private or religious schools in our town. It was definitely the public school. I know this for a fact; I recognized the teacher.

Of course I understand they would pray in a Christian school. So no, I was not making any assumptions.

luvhugz08
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:30 PM
4 moms liked this

when you did pray in school...there were less killings...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)