Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Praying before you eat lunch (in school)

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
So, I was just at our local library. A group of kindergarten students were there for story time. Afterwards they went downstairs for lunch. Before they were allowed to eat the teacher made them "say their prayer." While I am not against praying, I would be against someone telling my child they could not eat until they said a prayer. How does something like this play out for a non-religious family? And, agree or disagree, there is no prayer in school, or so I thought.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:38 PM
Replies (11-20):
LntLckrsCmQut
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:32 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting luvhugz08:

when you did pray in school...there were less killings...

Dumbest..reply..ever.

luvhugz08
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:43 PM

maybe...i just think and I emphasize think since the rules in schools have changed that the school issues with shooting and weapon control has gotten worse... this is just my opinion stupid or not!!!

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Quoting luvhugz08:

Dumbest..reply..ever.

Linus77
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 5:09 PM

WHY is it SO bad to say a blessing over what we eat, regardless of where?  I don't understand that big hate for this.... It's BLESSING the food, so that we don't get sick, so that we appreciate what we get.  It's not doing something that is immoral, dangerous, detrimental to physical or mental wellbeing.  Why make such a big todo over this???!  Not even your kids...and you get offended.  Geeeeez!

It's like those Athiests who unblessed the road that some people blessed.  Really what they did was curse that road because they wanted to take away a blessing...they WANT accidents and death and disfigurement to happen because no person in their right mind would get upset over a BLESSING that speaks good will and protection over someone or something unless the WANT bad things to happen!

Just...silliness. 

Linus77
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 5:10 PM

It HAS gotten worse...that's FACT.  And to say that it's a dumb thing to say...just proves it how bad school has gotten since prayer has been removed.

Quoting luvhugz08:

maybe...i just think and I emphasize think since the rules in schools have changed that the school issues with shooting and weapon control has gotten worse... this is just my opinion stupid or not!!!

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Quoting luvhugz08:

Dumbest..reply..ever.

PhoenixV
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 5:13 PM

I agree. 

Quoting kailu1835:

Public school? Not ok. Private, fine. If a kid wants to pray over his meal, he has that right so lob as he does not disturb others, but the teacher cannot tell the students to pray.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 19, 2013 at 5:31 PM

DID YOU EVEN READ WHAT I WROTE? I did not say I was offended by this, I did not say I hated it. I expressed my OPINION that I did not think it was right to do, simply because there is no prayer in school. No one else that replied was judgemental. But I guess there is always that 1 that likes to stir things up. Whatever. 

Quoting Linus77:

WHY is it SO bad to say a blessing over what we eat, regardless of where?  I don't understand that big hate for this.... It's BLESSING the food, so that we don't get sick, so that we appreciate what we get.  It's not doing something that is immoral, dangerous, detrimental to physical or mental wellbeing.  Why make such a big todo over this???!  Not even your kids...and you get offended.  Geeeeez!

It's like those Athiests who unblessed the road that some people blessed.  Really what they did was curse that road because they wanted to take away a blessing...they WANT accidents and death and disfigurement to happen because no person in their right mind would get upset over a BLESSING that speaks good will and protection over someone or something unless the WANT bad things to happen!

Just...silliness. 

catrig
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 5:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't be ok with compulsory prayer.

kss12
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 5:34 PM
I went to private (catholic) school all my life and never ever was told to pray before a meal, at school or at home.
I wouldn't agree with it if my child were in that group. I'd just tell my child to be respectful.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
anotherhalf
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Dumbest atheists ever.  If they really don't believe, then the "blessing" was really nothing, yet they went to some length to undo a nothing.  Its idiots like these that make me wary about admitting I'm an atheist.

Quoting Linus77:

Just...silliness. 

luvhugz08
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:15 PM
2 moms liked this
That just because I said that things have gotten worse with school since they took prayer out does not mean that I would want someone to force my child to pray...what if the way they are force to pray is not what is excepted by ur belief choice...that is what america is about ur rights as individual and even if u are a christain someone else beliefs are being forced on ur child...not try to stir stink just given opnion..

Quoting PhoenixV:

I agree. 

Quoting kailu1835:

Public school? Not ok. Private, fine. If a kid wants to pray over his meal, he has that right so lob as he does not disturb others, but the teacher cannot tell the students to pray.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)