Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Even when I flash them, they still don't respond.

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:50 PM
  • 14 Replies
2 moms liked this

Headlights people.  Use 'em!

For the past few weeks, we've had a lot of rain, freezing rain and snow during the daytime.  Very unusual for us this time of year but that's another post.  In my state it is also a law that any time there is precipitation, you are supposed to have your headlights on.

Well, people are idiots because I can't even tell you how many times I have been driving during the day in precipitation and have seen people driving without their headlights on.  Even in conditions like today - snow - where it is difficult to see in the first place.  These people make it harder to see them by not having their headlights on.  It's a safety hazard.

I mean really, how difficult is it?  It's one little switch in your car!  Turn the damn headlights on.  I don't care that it's daylight and you don't need them to see.  *I* need them to see *you*.  Plus it's the law.

One day on my way home I flashed my headlights at 4 different people who didn't have theirs on.  I watched to see if they then turned their headlights on after I flashed them.  Not a single one did.

Why are people so anti-headlights?!?!?

by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kerryket
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:54 PM
We have the same in Florida, visibility is horrible with sudden heavy rains.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Most States have that law...and idiots lol. The title grabbed my attention. I had to come see what you were flashing.

Traci_Momof2
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting ColleenF30:

Most States have that law...and idiots lol. The title grabbed my attention. I had to come see what you were flashing.

LOL!  That was my intent with the title.  I didn't want to *just* vent, might as well have a little fun too.

MamaAjax
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Yup. Really annoying too when you're driving down the road and it's all sunny then five minutes later you're throwing on your Emer lights and slowing down to 15miles per an hours hoping to see a foot infront of you so you can pull over. Freaking FL .-.

Anyways. I dunno what it is. We've had a few deaths out where I live because of no headlights during the "twilight" hours right at sunrise and sunset. I get that people think they can see, but sometimes they've got to realize that grey (or whatever color) car of their's might blend in a little bit to well and other CAN'T see them.

Quoting kerryket:

Mama Ajax @ Blogger

Just a little bit my life experiences.

mysticalmalissa
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:18 PM
2 moms liked this

I get beads when I ..........oh oops...You're talking about  car headlights.  :p

kerryket
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:53 PM
Yeah, that's what I thought from the header, yep, my mind is in the gutter:-P

Quoting mysticalmalissa:

I get beads when I ..........oh oops...You're talking about  car headlights.  :p

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Traci_Momof2
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:23 AM

That's how it is around here when it's snowing, even during a light snow.  It gives your vision a white haze that's hard to see through, and then those grey cars especially just blend right in with the grey color of the road.  I once almost pulled out in front of someone because it was conditions like that and they had a grey car and they didn't have their headlights on.  It was difficult to see them.

I'll add another complaint from this morning.  Since it was snowing here most of the night, anyone who had their car parked outside had a few inches of snow piled up on it.  So my complaint this morning is the people who don't brush the snow off of their car before driving it.  I was behind someone this morning who didn't even brush off his back window or his taillights.  I could barely tell when he hit his brakes because I couldn't see the brake lights come on.

We generally don't get rains like you described in your first paragraph, but I grew up outside of Sacramento and in the valley there we would get the sudden wall of fog that would do pretty much the same thing.  There were many multi-car pileups because of the fog during commuter hours.

Quoting MamaAjax:

Yup. Really annoying too when you're driving down the road and it's all sunny then five minutes later you're throwing on your Emer lights and slowing down to 15miles per an hours hoping to see a foot infront of you so you can pull over. Freaking FL .-.

Anyways. I dunno what it is. We've had a few deaths out where I live because of no headlights during the "twilight" hours right at sunrise and sunset. I get that people think they can see, but sometimes they've got to realize that grey (or whatever color) car of their's might blend in a little bit to well and other CAN'T see them.

Quoting kerryket:

Traci_Momof2
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:25 AM

LOL!  Thank you.  I needed the laugh this morning.  I was on kid duty this morning, getting them out the door (that's usually DH's job) and that always puts my nerves on edge.  I'm fine with them in the afternoon but I'm just not cut out for kids in the morning.

Quoting mysticalmalissa:

luvhugz08
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:40 AM

I dont think anyone except moms follow that law!!!

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Same here in Virginia. They won't even turn the lights on when there is fog!!!  I flash my head lights too them and they are so clueless.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)