Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Sick of seeing posts to watch for motorcycles and other drivers blamed for accidents

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:46 AM
  • 27 Replies
2 moms liked this

well not watching out for motorcycles will cause accidents but by NO FAULT (90% of the time) of us "other drivers"! Post all the defensive replies you want. I have relatives who ride motorcycles and I dont care who I make mad because I AM PISSED! I see this all the time. If 95% (the other 5 % who drive like a normal human being instead of like an IDIOT can disregard this) of the motorcycle riders didnt act like they own the FUCKING ROAD then there wouldn't be as many accidents with motorcycles! The other day I was driving down a road it's not a busy highway but gets a fair amount of traffic and cell signal is hit and miss. Oh and my son was also with me. Well all of a sudden a pack of about 15 to 20 motorcycles (couldnt quiet get a actual count cause they were hauling ass like they just robbed a bank) came up behind me weaving in and out of lanes and in between cars with oncoming traffic. I moved over to the shoulder of the road a little bit so I wouldn't get ran off the damn road when one of the dumbass idiots trying to catch up with the rest of his idiot friends proceeded to come up right beside me IN THE SAME DAMN LANE to pass me because he didnt want to wait 5 seconds for ONCOMING TRAFFIC TO CLEAR!!! I had to remember that I had my son with me because if I didnt I would've rolled my window down and told that M'fer to get the fuck out of my lane and "helped" him move over! So we "other drivers" do need to watch out for motorcycles cause if we dont we could find ourselves wrapped around a tree cause they damn sure aren't watching out for us!!!

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:04 AM
Agreed! Today I almost saw one collide head on with a semi because they were passing on a narrow highway around a blind corner. I was going 60 in a 55 when they passed me.
My cousin posted something on facebook and basically this motorcycle was going 90 in a 25 zone. Car didn't see them and pulled out in front of them. Killed both people in the car (it went through the drivers side door and ran over both occupants) as well as the person on the motorcycle. And the moral was watch out for motorcycles?? No how about stop thinking you own the roads and are so special you don't have to follow the basic traffic rules. Uggh!
Sadly I know 2 people who were killed on motorcycles. One was going 80 mph trying to outrun the cops and hit a car head on. Another was a very safe rider (a cop who had seen what can go wrong) but the car coming the other way cut that same corner :(
JasonsMom2007
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:07 AM
I once had a motorcyclist knock on my window and yell at me going 70 mph down the freeway. Apparently I was supposed to move out of the fast lane and let him by even though I was going the speed of traffic. It was windy too! The wind was blowing me all over the road and here he is close enough to knock on my window...
kerryket
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:43 AM
You said it! It really pisses me off.
Christy1919
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:32 AM
What gets me is they are usually on a black bike wearing black hunkered down . If you want me to see your tiny ass wear a color that doesn't fade into he background
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:40 AM
2 moms liked this

While I agree some motorcyclist can be total assholes, it's still a good idea to keep your eye on alert for motorcyclist, as our brains tend to go into auto mode when we drive ,and since our brain is registering cars, it might miss a motorcyclist.

Do an experiment, cover your passenger side mirror for a day. and note how many times you look out to it, see nothing and change the lane.

Your mind registers it see's nothing (no cars in your way) so your reaction is to change lanes, when in reality you see NOTHING as in nothing at all because the mirror is covered.

I saw this experiment done and have done it myself, it's frightening how "auto mode" our driving can be!

But I do agree with you OP most motrocyclists I encounter are total thrill seekers on the road!

I also have a friend, who's son went to school with a boy, his father was in a horrible horrible accident with his motorcycle and died. 

It was nothing more than a fender bender on a highway, what clips a car, sends a motorcyclist to his death. and everyone has accidents!

mamavalor
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I grew up in New England so I was taught to look out for EVERY THING on the road.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Just like you said only a portion of drivers of cars drive like jerks, only a portion of people who drive motorcycles drive like jerks. Some motorcycle drivers are safe and responsible. If you don't want to be included in a generalization then don't make one
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow! A lot of pent of aggression. Where do you live? Sturgis? LOL! Personally a bad driver is a bad driver, either on a Harley, a car, a truck, a limo...whatever passes for a vehicle. I have seen drivers, talk on cell phones and nearly cream the person in front, or beside them. I have seen drivers text and nearly take out several cars as he ended up in the middle of both lanes, on the highway. My husband once saw a guy on his motor bike pop himself onto his back wheel and drive that way for amount a mile. I suppose he has a death wish for himself and others. I have seen motorcycles weave in and out of traffic...thus putting themselves and others at risk. However, I have personally been on a bike where the driver didnt like the idea she had to wait her turn and tried to run us down as we waited, as we should have...for our turn. I have seen cars get into another lane with just inches to spare, doing 70mph or more then change lanes again, only to nearly kill us trying to quickly merge at too high of a speed and not enough road. I have seen cars stop short on purpose with a biker behind them. My husband follows the rules, of the road, two car lenghts or better between him and another vehicle. My husband has had two tickets his entire driving career, which now spans over three and a half decades. I have four tickets spanning three decades. Neither of us have had an accident. We adore our Harley. I am so sorry that some bikers have been so rude to you. However, try to stick to the thought that they are bad drivers, who most likely drive bad, no matter what vehicle they are driving. Have a safe and happy summer!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Yes.. agreed.

Rarely do I see motorcyclist following the rules of the road.

rebeccasmly
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:37 PM

While I agree with you, as the freeways and highways are horrible with motorcyclists around here, we still need to keep an eye out for them. Even when they're the ones acting an idiot. They're easy to miss. I like what a PP said about a bad driver being a bad driver no matter what they're driving, very true.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)