Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I call BS!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies
3 moms liked this

A psychologist says anyone can forget their child in the carseat in the car because our short-term memory may be full and/or create false memories. I call BS. Whenever I get out of a car, even NOW that my kids are old enough to get themselves out of the car, I STILL look in the backseat to make sure EVERYONE is out before I walk away. I may forget my purse, the diaper bag, etc., lol, but NOT my children!

Posted by Anonymous on May. 1, 2013 at 10:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaAjax
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Indeed. If I'm not carrying my child or any child that's with me or they're not walking in front of me. I'm panic mode insue. I forget everything in my car. Keys, purse, wallet, phone. EVERYTHING. Never ever have I forgotten my child. Or any one's elses for that matter.

rebeccasmly
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I do the same and I have teens! I'm calling BS too!

Cuddlyknuckle
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Monday, my DH and I had a dinner date.. and left my boys(3 years old and 10 months) with my older sister and BIL. We got out of the car, and I knew they were not back there... and I still looked. I could never forget my child. My license, my cell phone, my ipod, the diaper bag... but not my child.

NorseGodessMom
by on May. 1, 2013 at 4:19 PM

yea any real mom will call BS on that!

kss12
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 4:25 PM
Even if my child is not with me, which is rare, I still open the back door to get him out then realize he's not in there. I could never forget!
psych_mom
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2013 at 5:49 PM

As a soon to psych/counseling major graduate I have never heard this one, lol. I am not sure how our memory would become full because when we dream our brains are basically doing like a computer and defragging like a hard-drive does. This clears away unneeded stuff and makes room for us to store more short term and long term memories.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 1, 2013 at 6:01 PM
Every year we have kids dying in hot cars, the last I remember locally was a day care van.
TrouserMouse
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 6:41 PM
3 moms liked this
It always happens when people are outside of their normal routine. I totally see how it could happen. I feel sorry for them.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 2, 2013 at 8:33 AM

I saw the story, too, and the guy said something like your short-term memory was like a cup and when it's full we have a tendency to forget things as it gets emptied out.

Quoting psych_mom:

As a soon to psych/counseling major graduate I have never heard this one, lol. I am not sure how our memory would become full because when we dream our brains are basically doing like a computer and defragging like a hard-drive does. This clears away unneeded stuff and makes room for us to store more short term and long term memories.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 2, 2013 at 8:36 AM

I still don't get it. When I'm outside of my normal routine, I'm hypervigilant, checking everything to be sure I haven't forgotten anything precisely BECAUSE I'm outside of my normal routine. I remember the couple who the guy was supposed to take the kid to daycare on his way to work but didn't and didn't realize it until he was to meet his wife for lunch, at which point it was too late for the baby. I could KIND OF see how he might forget since he didn't usually take the baby to daycare, but at the same time, I couldn't because it was the BABY he was taking, not drycleaning. I guess I'm just always concerned about where my kids are, whether we're doing something routine or not, and always check.

Quoting TrouserMouse:

It always happens when people are outside of their normal routine. I totally see how it could happen. I feel sorry for them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)