Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Teacher Asks 4th Grader to Take Standardized Test While in Hospital for Brain Surgery Scanning??

Posted by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:47 PM
  • 10 Replies

Teacher Asks 4th Grader to Take Standardized Test While in Hospital for Brain Surgery Scanning

by Julie Ryan Evans

hospital bedIf you already think the pressure on students to take standardized tests in school is overwhelming, wait until you hear this unbelievable story. Joey Furlong, a fourth grader in New York, was lying in a hospital, being screened for possible brain surgery, when in walked a teacher who asked him to take a state test.

Seriously. According to CBS 6, the boy, who has epilepsy, was hooked up to an IV, an EEG, and other medical devices. He was undergoing testing to see if surgeons might be able to stop his seizures with surgery. Then, out of nowhere, a woman from the public school system walked in and said she was there to give him the Foruth Grade State test.

His parents, understandably, were shocked.

Joey's mom, Tami, told the station, "It just floored me that somebody is sending teachers to sick kids and expecting them to take a New York State test." She said they'd already made arrangements for him to take the test at another time, but apparently that wasn't good enough for the state testing board.

Fortunately, Joey's father was in the room at the time and prevented Joey from taking the test. The teacher reportedly left without protest. But still ... wow.

Bethlehem Central School District said it had nothing to do with the incident. Rather the teacher came directly from the state. Apparently children who spend more than three days in the hospital are offered school instruction during their stay, which includes testing. I'm sure in some cases that's welcome -- such as to keep them from falling behind in their daily work. In this case, however, it's flat out crazy, and such a prime example of how ridiculously out of hand these tests have gotten.

Yes, we need ways to measure our students' and teachers' performance, but the pressure on the kids to take them and the focus of the schools to teach them is ridiculous. We've got to figure out a better way.

Can you believe this boy was approached in his hospital bed to take a standardized test? Do you feel the pressure of standardized testing on your children?

by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
leanntx
by Member on May. 2, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Wow. Just wow.

I would have told them to leave as we'll, that's just ridiculous.
anotherhalf
by on May. 2, 2013 at 1:09 PM

That is crazy stupid.  My ds has been doing state test sample questions for the last couple weeks for homework.  Literally teaching to the test instead of teaching for the students.  I am considering opting him out but I don't know if I want him to have to deal with the fallout.  The administration would be so angry with us.

kerryket
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2013 at 6:46 PM
That really pushes the limit !
MamaAjax
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 9:28 PM

OMG! That's just horrible.

We're taking our son and any future children out of public schools next year. Little one is in 1st grade and he loathes going to school. He'll literally gets sick and if he's allowed to stay home in a few hours he's better. I've taken him to his Pediatrician so many times and she's confirmed he's sick with fever and 2hours later bam he's better no fever no nothing, bouncing off the walls happy and healthy willing to do his workbooks that I have at home for him.

jenk928
by on May. 2, 2013 at 11:22 PM
I would have flipped the fuck out . No question. To bother my kid while he is dealing with legit medical issues.. no way in hell
psych_mom
by on May. 2, 2013 at 11:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I would have been very upset. They could have called and spoke to the parents.

Ayshren
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Thats just ridiculous!

ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on May. 3, 2013 at 1:42 AM

That is insane!

HappyMommyToo
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 11:29 AM
The school system nowadays is horrible.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 3, 2013 at 12:16 PM

I think this public school teacher should be fired entirely. That has to be the most vulgar way to improve your teacher income. Sounds to me this teacher wants to make a name for himself for profit? Oh look what I did book or worse self serving in the worrsts way. This is a a form of child abuse in general. You really don't know what the intents are with this low life teacher . It's wrong all wrong any stress on the brain could cause blood clots. I would recommend you sue for damages and cilival rights. Everyone is entitled to good health. I would hire a , lawyer, get mental doctor get statements from three doctors  for the child. . Adolf Hitler would this to children in the camps while they were starving for medical knowledge. Sounds like another Nazi moment. I would go on tv local news get your story at your local papers including free news papers. This teacher has his her head up a?? Syndrome. I would find out if who ordered this testing is a sex predator or has a history drug liquir child abuse charges. Your child is the most important asset in your life. You can't allow strangers to abuse your child. I'd get ugly and sue.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)