Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just have to get it out :/

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

I quit smoking about 2 months before I found out I was pregnant and haven't had a cigarette since.  Lately it's getting really hard to not have one though!  Idk if it's being outside more with the nice weather or the stress of everything going on but it's driving me crazy to not have a smoke :(  I have not given in yet, nor do I want to give in since I don't want to hurt my son for my own desires but every time I smell a cigarette it makes me about nuts wanting a drag :/  I'm going to stay strong for my little boy!!

Any advice as to how to make it easier or why it could all of a sudden be so difficult?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 2, 2013 at 4:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 2, 2013 at 7:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Chew a lot of gum.

2012Rabbit12
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 7:55 PM

congratulations in quitting for 2 months so far! It's difficult because you're body is still used to the nicotine. when u want to smoke, think of other things u could do to relax. It will get easier. Remember, it's for your little boy:)

CotterpinDoozer
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 9:47 PM

First of all congrats on quitting for your son. Also, I'd like to commend you for not giving in. Can you chew gum, does that help you any?

AV made by NiamhWitch

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 2, 2013 at 9:54 PM
It's not easy, but don't give up, chewing gum does help and change what you're doing when you're craving them.
LDavis33
by Member on May. 2, 2013 at 10:25 PM

I quit when I got pregnant (both times).  I started up almost immediately after my son was born.  But with my daughter it was different.  I tried to have a cigarette after she was born, but it tasted like I was licking an ashtray and made me physically ill... so that was that.

My best advice to you is to keep in mind why you are quitting.  You will never have a better motivating factor than now!

When the cravings hit, try drinking a glass of water (slowly).  By the time you are finished, the craving should have passed.  If not, drink another glass. 

And try to stay away from people who are smoking.  Until you are beyond the withdrawal stage, it'll only aggravate you and cause more cravings.  Good luck!

Lovemybaby551
by Member on May. 2, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Ive had the same problem, this sounds horrible but if my husband hadnt completely taken my cigs away and forbid me from buying more I would still probably be smoking. But thanks to him and his support ive managed to quit. My mom smokes too, she says ice water with fresh lemon will help with cravings. I tried it, it did help. chewing gum is even better though

psych_mom
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Congrats on quitting!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anotherhalf
by on May. 3, 2013 at 3:07 AM

I've know this has happened to more people than just me but after I quit for the 100th time I went to smoke a cigarette yet again and it was just disgusting.  Now I have no desire and the smell of smoke makes me sick.  Just keep being strong.  Your child needs a healthy nice smelling mama - you can be that - and hopefully the smell and taste will disgust you and you'll never want to go back.

lageise
by on May. 5, 2013 at 11:53 PM

I'm sorry I don't have any good advice to tell you except that you are not alone.  I never smoked, but my Dad smoked three packs of Winston's for years.  He finally quit and even after it had been more than 18 years since he quit, he said that the smell of smoke usually made him sick, but that every once in a while he would smell it and if you gave him a cigarette, he'd lite right up.  So stay strong, you can do it. Just think of that beautiful baby boy of yours. Good luck.

HappyMommyToo
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:31 AM
Try eating carrots, sunflower seeds...etc.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)