Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Possible future 16 year old Felon! 2 Felony charges as an adult.

Posted by   + Show Post

Kiera Wilmot is a 16-year-old Bartow, Florida high school student whose life has been forever altered by either a) a science project gone bad; or b) her own curiosity.

According to WTSP.com, on Monday, Kiera was arrested and expelled from Bartow High School. She was charged with possession and discharge of a weapon on school property, as well as discharging a destructive device.

The Root.com says that the teen was curious to perform an experiment for an upcoming Science Fair. Wilmot mixed a common over-the-counter toilet bowl cleaner and aluminum foil in an 8-ounce water bottle. She had been told by a friend that the mixture would produce non-toxic smoke.

And so it did. The bottle's top blew off with a loud “bang,” and a considerable amount of smoke.

Assistant Principal Dan Durham, as reported by the Washington Times, heard the noise, made a cursory “investigation,” and immediately called the police. The arrest report can be found here.

Again, the offensive chemicals allegedly used by Wilmot were strictly legal and no one was hurt.

Her actions, however, violated the school’s “zero tolerance” code of conduct policy. To wit: Expulsion of any student is non-negotiable and mandated when he or she is found “in possession of a bomb or explosive device…while at a school, a school activity or a school bus…unless it’s used as part of a school-related activity sanctioned by and conducted by a teacher.”

All who know this young lady say that these charges and this incident have been blown way out of proportion. Assistant Principal Durham himself, for example, calls Kiera a "good kid" who's "never been in trouble before – ever."

Yet, this selfsame principal's knee-jerk and bureaucracy-laden reaction was to call the police on her, stand by as she was arrested, and later (after having had time to reflect on the matter and actually having discussed the incident with her) assent to her permanentexpulsion from his school.

His later remarks about the affair seem more than a little self-serving: "She made a bad choice. Honestly, I don't think she meant to ever hurt anyone. She wanted to see what would happen [when the chemicals mixed] and was shocked by what it did. Her mother is shocked too."

Wilmot's fellow students and many friends all describe her actions as "a science project gone bad, that she never meant to hurt anyone." As one of her fellow students told WSTB: "She just wanted to see what happened to those chemicals in the bottle. Now, look what happened."

Kiera Wilmot now faces three felony charges, and will be tried as an adult, rather than in the juvenile criminal justice system of the great state of Florida. If found guilty of any one of the charges, she is marked for life with the "F-word" -- felon.

Opinion

So, was this curiosity? Or, was it a science project gone wrong?

Or was this 16-year-old part of some nefarious conspiracy ring determined to wreak havoc upon South Florida? Perhaps she was yet another disaffected “lone wolf” who held a deep-seated, murderous grudge against her school, her classmates, her state, her world?

The only relevant question here is was this a true bomb plot?

The Miami New Times has urged school children everywhere to be careful: “So, sorry kids. Don’t try any extracurricular science projects on school grounds, especially if they could result in anything resembling an explosion.”

This is a disturbing story should which should concern each and every student and parent in this nation-state's public education system.

As the Reason Magazine article referenced below observed, “[T]he only person in this story facing a serious threat to her safety and security is the girl who might have to serve a prison sentence — but then, she doesn’t go to Bartow High anymore, so perhaps the school system doesn’t think she counts.”

I was wrong. There is another relevant question here: Have this nation-states' schools become bureaucratic prisons wherein reason, intelligence, and, yes, tolerance, are forfeited in the pursuit of “security?”

Cevin Soling has put together a compelling documentary called War on Kids. I highly recommend it:

“Public schools have essentially been turned into prisons with constant surveillance and harsh, often absurd zero tolerance policies towards drugs, alcohol, weapons, violence and other forms of misbehavior. Things that would’ve earned you a visit with a counselor or the principal can now get you expelled.”

Another question: Are school administrators no longer servicing their charges and their community, but functioning essentially as overseers of their schools like jail or prison wardens – or slave masters?

One more question: Are teachers now mere glorified babysitters, disallowed from actually challenging students to reach for the stars?

Lord knows America desperately needs more scientists, engineers, artists, writers –thinkers.

One example will do here. Thomas Alva Edison conducted thousands upon thousands of failed experiments, blowing up whole laboratories in the process, before he finally got it right. The result? That's why you are able to read this report right now by artificial (electric) light rather than gas or candlelight.

References

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2013/05/02/florida_teen_arrested_after_science_experiment_explodes.html

http://www.wtsp.com/news/reporter/article/312878/79/Teen-girl-arrested-for-science-project-gone-bad

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57582330-71/schoolgirl-tries-science-experiment-arrested-for-felony/

http://communities.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/citizenwarrior/2013/may/1/florida-schoolgirl-charged-felony-science/#ixzz2S625KESI

https://www.facebook.com/Reason.Magazine http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/01/kiera-wilmot-arrested-science-experiment_n_3194768.html

http://now.msn.com/science-project-gone-bad-gets-kiera-wilmot-expelled-arrested

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57582330-71/schoolgirl-tries-science-experiment-arrested-for-felony/

Herbert Dyer, Jr. is based in Chicago, Illinois, United States of America, and is an Anchor for Allvoices.

Okay how do you feel about this Mama's? What would you say if it was your child? Is the school right, is FL right? Or have our laws that are meant to protect our children began hurting them instead.

Mama Ajax @ Blogger

Just a little bit my life experiences.

by on May. 2, 2013 at 9:14 PM
Replies (41-47):
elijahXmom
by Member on May. 5, 2013 at 3:54 PM

I am sorry for her no mattter how we feel about this doesn't matter.

Quoting Anonymous:

I where about the stupid choice but perhaps she didn't learn about the chemicals In school? I know in my crappy school system I didn't learn jack about chemicals. For science? Biology and that consists of basic bookwork and once we planted some kind of seed on a plastic container. my freshman year of highschool.

My sophomore year they have me food science.

My junior year I didn't have science, and my senior year they have me hawaiian plants and animals as a science course. (guess where I grew up?) Again, crappy school system.

Quoting elijahXmom:

My son almost set my whole front yard a fire because of bad friendly advice with a magnifing glass and some candy. I been there done that even got a tee shirt. So to mixing two toxic chemicals with a violent reactin but done so in closed bottle that then explos. How is this not a bomb? Once again we go back to fact (nothing that I agree with) the law does not care if you know the laws as long as the laws are on the book it up to who ever to charge you. If the girl had taken just a few mins to just think about chemical components she was using she should have seen the potential. I am sorry but I have kid something like already at 10.

Quoting Anonymous:

But it wasn't a bomb... It was pressure and noise made by two chemicals. she's a kid who made a mistake. She was In school trying to do a science experiment! C'mon! She did NOT deserve those charges. What if it were your kid who happened to experiment and ended up receiving bad advice from a friend that ended up causing this mess, so you have no remorse whatsoever?

Quoting elijahXmom:

I never said anything about charges only the gas that she made. I myself would be killing my son but then again one the kids about same age this girl that my mom use to live by did this and it blew out windows. The boys ended up with about the same charges. A bomb is a bomb honey, I am sorry the child didn't know but the law is the and the law doesn't care if know the or not. Not saying that it right but just is the facts of life.

Quoting MamaAjax:

But it didn't make anyone ill.

So it's okay to charge a curious teen as an adult for 2 felonies.

Granted it's probably going to be dropped since the Governer came out and spoke against the charges as a "over reaction"

Quoting elijahXmom:

The gas/smoke she made will make you ill.

Quoting BaronSamedi:

Several decades ago a high school student blew up his high school in one experiment.  But did not get arrested the school was rebuilt and the student went on to a great job.  Today he would probably be serving time as a felon.  Our school system is gone crazy.

MamaAjax
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2013 at 7:11 PM

*Sighs* That comment right there... that's the freaking problem. That's why people are ignoring the laws and regulations being passed in a country that boasts about it's "For the people." It does matter how the American people feel. That's why it's called a Democracy.

Chances are there are enough people rising up against this saying this time it's the law that over reacted. Even the Governor of Florida has said so. So all in all. I'm thinking she'll end up with a smack on the wrist. Which is what she deserves.

Quoting elijahXmom:

Quoting Anonymous:

I where about the stupid choice but perhaps she didn't learn about the chemicals In school? I know in my crappy school system I didn't learn jack about chemicals. For science? Biology and that consists of basic bookwork and once we planted some kind of seed on a plastic container. my freshman year of highschool.

My junior year I didn't have science, and my senior year they have me hawaiian plants and animals as a science course. (guess where I grew up?) Again, crappy school system.

Quoting elijahXmom:

My son almost set my whole front yard a fire because of bad friendly advice with a magnifing glass and some candy. I been there done that even got a tee shirt. So to mixing two toxic chemicals with a violent reactin but done so in closed bottle that then explos. How is this not a bomb? Once again we go back to fact (nothing that I agree with) the law does not care if you know the laws as long as the laws are on the book it up to who ever to charge you. If the girl had taken just a few mins to just think about chemical components she was using she should have seen the potential. I am sorry but I have kid something like already at 10.

Quoting Anonymous:

But it wasn't a bomb... It was pressure and noise made by two chemicals. she's a kid who made a mistake. She was In school trying to do a science experiment! C'mon! She did NOT deserve those charges. What if it were your kid who happened to experiment and ended up receiving bad advice from a friend that ended up causing this mess, so you have no remorse whatsoever?

Quoting elijahXmom:

I never said anything about charges only the gas that she made. I myself would be killing my son but then again one the kids about same age this girl that my mom use to live by did this and it blew out windows. The boys ended up with about the same charges. A bomb is a bomb honey, I am sorry the child didn't know but the law is the and the law doesn't care if know the or not. Not saying that it right but just is the facts of life.

Quoting MamaAjax:

Granted it's probably going to be dropped since the Governer came out and spoke against the charges as a "over reaction"

Quoting elijahXmom:

Quoting BaronSamedi:

Several decades ago a high school student blew up his high school in one experiment.  But did not get arrested the school was rebuilt and the student went on to a great job.  Today he would probably be serving time as a felon.  Our school system is gone crazy.

Mama Ajax @ Blogger

elijahXmom
by Member on May. 5, 2013 at 7:55 PM
If you buy onto the line the government is ran by the people. I am truly sorry to inform you but it's not. Money talks and lobist have money they pick the bills to pass even at the cost of a childrens lives. The people need to take back our government.

Quoting MamaAjax:

*Sighs* That comment right there... that's the freaking problem. That's why people are ignoring the laws and regulations being passed in a country that boasts about it's "For the people." It does matter how the American people feel. That's why it's called a Democracy.

Chances are there are enough people rising up against this saying this time it's the law that over reacted. Even the Governor of Florida has said so. So all in all. I'm thinking she'll end up with a smack on the wrist. Which is what she deserves.

Quoting elijahXmom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting elijahXmom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting elijahXmom:

Quoting MamaAjax:

Quoting elijahXmom:

Quoting BaronSamedi:

MamaAjax
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2013 at 9:53 PM

No I don't buy into the government is ran by the people. I am for the fact that if the people actually try they change things.

Money can't talk if the people never elect the person in the first place.

Martin Luther King Jr. didn't say "how we feel..." about segregation or racism "...doesn't matter"

Grace Greenwood didn't say "how we feel..." about men only professions "...doesn't matter"

Or Lucy Stone

Or Victoria Woodhull (which was the first woman to run for presidency in the 1870s)

Or Ingrid Newkirk and Alex Pacheco co-founders of PETA

Abraham Lincoln

Money didn't talk for these people. They worked their butts off to make the change.

Heck all Rosa Parks did to become a monumental person in change for one little action... Refusing to give up her seat.

This whole "The lobbyist control everything" we're helpless act really is what's killing us. So is the whole "How we feel doesn't matter." mentality.

Quoting elijahXmom:

If you buy onto the line the government is ran by the people. I am truly sorry to inform you but it's not. Money talks and lobist have money they pick the bills to pass even at the cost of a childrens lives. The people need to take back our government.

Quoting MamaAjax:

Quoting elijahXmom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting elijahXmom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting elijahXmom:

Quoting MamaAjax:

Quoting elijahXmom:

Quoting BaronSamedi:

Mama Ajax @ Blogger

elijahXmom
by Member on May. 5, 2013 at 11:21 PM
Have you worked with any elections?

Quoting MamaAjax:

No I don't buy into the government is ran by the people. I am for the fact that if the people actually try they change things.

Martin Luther King Jr. didn't say "how we feel..." about segregation or racism "...doesn't matter"

Grace Greenwood didn't say "how we feel..." about men only professions "...doesn't matter"

Or Lucy Stone

Or Victoria Woodhull (which was the first woman to run for presidency in the 1870s)

Abraham Lincoln

Money didn't talk for these people. They worked their butts off to make the change.

Heck all Rosa Parks did to become a monumental person in change for one little action... Refusing to give up her seat.

This whole "The lobbyist control everything" we're helpless act really is what's killing us. So is the whole "How we feel doesn't matter." mentality.

Quoting elijahXmom:

Quoting MamaAjax:

Quoting elijahXmom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting elijahXmom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting elijahXmom:

Quoting MamaAjax:

Quoting elijahXmom:

Quoting BaronSamedi:

MamaAjax
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Several. BTW. I'm a International Relations major with area of study in Political Science

Quoting elijahXmom:

Quoting MamaAjax:

Or Lucy Stone

Abraham Lincoln

Quoting elijahXmom:

Quoting MamaAjax:

Quoting elijahXmom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting elijahXmom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting elijahXmom:

Quoting MamaAjax:

Quoting elijahXmom:

Quoting BaronSamedi:

Mama Ajax @ Blogger

elijahXmom
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 12:39 AM
How are "most" elections funded?

Quoting MamaAjax:

Several. BTW. I'm a International Relations major with area of study in Political Science

Quoting elijahXmom:

Quoting MamaAjax:

Or Lucy Stone

Abraham Lincoln

Quoting elijahXmom:

Quoting MamaAjax:

Quoting elijahXmom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting elijahXmom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting elijahXmom:

Quoting MamaAjax:

Quoting elijahXmom:

Quoting BaronSamedi:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)