Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

if you are a working mom, and have a day off during the week, would you send your child/ren to day care?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 27 Replies
I am a SAHM that watches a few kids during the week. I have low rates that do not come close to the daycare centers in the area. One of the mothers, occasionally has a day off in the week, but then has to work that following Sat. or Sun. If you are off during the week, would you send your children to daycare? It was previously understood that she would pick them up around 2ish on her day off. However, when she dropped them off this morning, she changed plans on me and is going to get them around the regular pick up time around 6ish. I had afternoon errands that I had planned on based on our original arrangement. Now, I have to move things around b/c of this. I just ticks me off a little that she is OFF today. It just doesn't make any sense to me, if I had to work 40+ hours a week, I would want to spend time with my young children. They grow up too fast. I have a lot of friends that are working moms, so I am not criticizing any working woman. I just needed somewhere to vent! I hate it when we agree on one thing and it is changed last min. :-(....I'll probably get over it, by this afternoon:-)
Posted by Anonymous on May. 20, 2013 at 10:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MizzBooslady
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Sometimes  I would and sometimes I wouldn't. If i had appointments, grocery shopping or errands to run then I would take my kids to daycare. I don't have a car so we rode the city bus and I couldn't do all that hustle with three kids with me. So I took them to daycare. Now If I didn't have anything planned I would stay home with them and we would go to the pack down the street or I would walk them to mcdonalds for lunch and get them a movie. You should have told her that you wouldn't have been able to keep them until six. The next time this happens I would let her know that you won't be able to do this.

rebeccasmly
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2013 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this

When I worked, my children were home when I was. Or if DH was home, they were home with him. I don't understand that but I do know some SAHMs that will pay a babysitter a few hours a week to get errands done kid free. That I do understand because errands can get to do with little kids. I would think maybe that is what this mom is doing but if she is leaving them all day, I think that is odd.

catrig
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Why not tell her she has to pick them up at the agreed upon time?

maria1613
by on May. 20, 2013 at 12:12 PM
It depends. There are days where it's easier to get errands or chores done without dd. But for the majority of my days off during the week, she's with me all day
nerdymom28
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 12:14 PM
4 moms liked this

With my daycare I have to pay for the week whether they're there or not. So I might send them anyway, depending on my mood. If I haven't got much sleep lately, I would send them to daycare and spend the day catching up on my sleep. Or if I needed to get a bunch of things done I'd take them so I could. But if I was feeling well and didn't have any plans, I'd keep them at home with me and try to do some special activities with our stolen time.

wmmom06
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 12:24 PM

My days off are not the same every week. If it is the during the week, I may take them to church cause they have mommy's day out where they will watch your child for 4 hours so you can run errands or whatever. I usually drop them off if I am going to go get my hair cute which is about every 8 weeks or so, or I will if I decided to go eat at a resturant by myself. Sometimes, I like being able to eat a meal without hearing mommy twenty times during my meal.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 20, 2013 at 12:40 PM

I should have, but it happened so quickly as she was leaving... I didn't know what to say:-/ 

Quoting catrig:

catrig
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I'm sorry but you are going to have to pick the child up at the time we discussed.  

Quoting Anonymous:

I should have, but it happened so quickly as she was leaving... I didn't know what to say:-/ 

Quoting catrig:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 20, 2013 at 1:04 PM

YES! I will need to do that next time. It's just hard b/c I have known them for over a year and they are a GREAT family:-) so with that, it is hard to speak up in those situations (for me that is...shy and not as assertive as I should be). 

Quoting catrig:

I'm sorry but you are going to have to pick the child up at the time we discussed.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting catrig:

catrig
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I understand, but if you don't speak up you get screwed over.

Quoting Anonymous:

YES! I will need to do that next time. It's just hard b/c I have known them for over a year and they are a GREAT family:-) so with that, it is hard to speak up in those situations (for me that is...shy and not as assertive as I should be). 

Quoting catrig:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting catrig:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)