Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

won't eat. won't sleep. wtf am i supposed to do?? (long... sorry)

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 12:52 AM
  • 24 Replies

my daughter had her 6 month wellness check today and was found to be in great health.  nothing wrong, nothing out of the ordinary.  though she is gaining weight regularly, she isn't consuming as many ounces per day as the doctor would like to see her doing so he wants me to try to get her to take another bottle (maybe 4 oz or so) somewhere during the day.

did he not hear me say, three times, that she isn't eating during the day!?  it isn't that i'm not feeding her.  i offer the bottle repeatedly, practically hourly, and she refuses.  except when she's ready for a nap, then she'll eat an ounce or two.  at random intervals i can get her to eat another ounce or so here and there.  sometimes SOMETIMES she'll take 4 oz an hour or so after she wakes up but the amount she's willing to eat during the day time has drastically decreased over the last couple of weeks.  also she has reflux she's being medicated for so i'm supposed to try to give her frequent feedings with small amounts.  that worked for a month before she decided she just isn't interested in food.  not interested in solids either and tongue still thrusting so doesn't ingest much of it anyway.  THEN at night when it's time for bed, she binges!  she has lately been trying to do 8-12 ounces before bed!  this has caused her to spit up in her sleep a few times worrying the bageeses outta me.

bed.  BED!  oi vey bed time...

for the last month or so she's taken her bath, dressed for bed, prayer, goodnight moon, bottle, and sleep.  lately we get to the bottle part and she first refuses to eat.  then after an hour or so fusses until we offer it again, binge eats, and sleeps.  down for the night... except the last couple of nights.  now she's starting to wake up an hourish after going down then fighting going back to sleep.  last night i got her back to sleep in under an hour but then she woke up again in the middle of the night for another 2 oz and rocking (on the plus side, she slept in an hour later than normal!). tonight the only thing that would keep her from screaming was the bottle.  4 oz later still fighting.  she's very VERY obviously drowsy and keeps nearly dozing but then it's like she wakes herself up on purpose!  and the crying...

we've tried pacies, rocking, singing, walking, different positions, quiet, sitting, standing, laying her back down, burping, hubby and i taking turns with her.  the only thing i won't do is cry it out.  it is for some people and i know a lot of people swear by it.  but personal choice, i just won't.  anything else i'm game for suggestions!

i'm thinking the binge eating is giving her a stomachache and she can't sleep.  but i don't know for sure and she keeps wanting more food.  we've been giving her banana and i know that can cause constipation (which she had huge issues with when she was born) but she eats so very very little of it.  i think what she actually swallows is less than a spoonful... would that be enough to do it?  if she'd just eat during the day i think a lot of the sleep stuff would resolve itself.

by on May. 24, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 7:46 AM

Sounds like she is teething, that is pretty typical. 

catrig
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Did you say this to the Dr? Did you say you're not hearing me?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on May. 24, 2013 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this
If he isnt listening you may need a new Doctor.
psych_mom
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Poor girl. Glad you aren't letting her cry it out because I think that may make this situation even worse. Maybe after she eats a few ounces in the evening, even if she isn't happy, pull the bottle out, set her up and burp her, play with her, things like that to give her time to feel that her tummy is getting full. Do this for every 2 oz that she eats. Maybe she will realize sooner that she is getting full. Also see if she will take some sweet potatoes or other veggies instead of bananas.

tigerstripes12
by Member on May. 25, 2013 at 2:09 AM

she's been teething for several months now so if this is it, the tooth must be getting ready to pop out... yay!  my husband has been wondering if this might be the cause of the sleeping issues at night.  but would that affect her feeding during the day?

sorry if that's a stupid question.  i had NO experience with babies before my little one

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Sounds like she is teething, that is pretty typical. 

tigerstripes12
by Member on May. 25, 2013 at 2:10 AM

no... i'm kind of a wimp :/  but i've been thinking about making another appointment for next week and being a more forceful

Quoting catrig:

tigerstripes12
by Member on May. 25, 2013 at 2:17 AM

even if someone said cry it out was the magic cure for sleep, i couldn't do it! heh

the problem is i think her tummy ISN'T full by bedtime because she isn't eating as much as she's supposed to during the day.  so she's trying to get her calories all at once.  i'd be more than happy to make her take breaks, but she takes them herself.  she sucks down the first 6 oz, then she grunts and tries to sit up to play for a while, then has another couple of oz, fusses/sits up again, and repeat.  after the first 6 oz we only give her 2 oz at a time and this is all usually spread out over 2 or 3 hours after her bath (which is usually 2 1/2-3 hrs after her last nap).

we've tried avocado and oatmeal, she's a tad more receptive to those.  and tonight we tried sweet potato for the first time! :D  she was not impressed but i know it can take several tries before babies start to like something so i'll be trying this one all week!

thank you for the advice!

Quoting psych_mom:

Poor girl. Glad you aren't letting her cry it out because I think that may make this situation even worse. Maybe after she eats a few ounces in the evening, even if she isn't happy, pull the bottle out, set her up and burp her, play with her, things like that to give her time to feel that her tummy is getting full. Do this for every 2 oz that she eats. Maybe she will realize sooner that she is getting full. Also see if she will take some sweet potatoes or other veggies instead of bananas.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 25, 2013 at 6:38 AM

time to stop being a wimp, your dd's health DEPENDS on it!!!! DEMAND some answers for her!!!!  And if this idiot doesn't listen, fire him, and find one who will.  Thinking about something, isn't doing something about it...do you want your dd to get sick because of YOUR inaction??  Grow a backbone, get a voice for your child, cuz NO ONE else will.  

Quoting tigerstripes12:

no... i'm kind of a wimp :/  but i've been thinking about making another appointment for next week and being a more forceful

Quoting catrig:

tigerstripes12
by Member on May. 27, 2013 at 6:41 PM

first off: is this Amy Bouzaglo from Amy's Baking Company?  just wondering because of the extreme reaction, excesses exclaimation marks, and ALL of THE capitalized WORDS!!!!

anyway she's gaining weight at a healthy rate, she isn't dehydrated or undernurished, and this is really quite common for her age for a myrid of reasons.  she's actually gone up from the 33rd to the 45th percentile in weight.  i am not endangering my daughter's health.  i am taking GREAT care of her. 

Quoting Anonymous:

time to stop being a wimp, your dd's health DEPENDS on it!!!! DEMAND some answers for her!!!!  And if this idiot doesn't listen, fire him, and find one who will.  Thinking about something, isn't doing something about it...do you want your dd to get sick because of YOUR inaction??  Grow a backbone, get a voice for your child, cuz NO ONE else will.  

Quoting tigerstripes12:

Quoting catrig:

MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on May. 27, 2013 at 8:18 PM
I love that show. I'm now in love with Gordon Ramsay. Anywho.

1. Baby's teething.
2. Get a pedi who wants to listen to you.
3. Try playing classical music. Brainy baby has some good compilations as does Fry's.
4. Maybe try switching formulas.

Quoting tigerstripes12:

first off: is this Amy Bouzaglo from Amy's Baking Company?  just wondering because of the extreme reaction, excesses exclaimation marks, and ALL of THE capitalized WORDS!!!!

anyway she's gaining weight at a healthy rate, she isn't dehydrated or undernurished, and this is really quite common for her age for a myrid of reasons.  she's actually gone up from the 33rd to the 45th percentile in weight.  i am not endangering my daughter's health.  i am taking GREAT care of her. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting tigerstripes12:

Quoting catrig:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)