Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My brother makes me want to cry and brings so much drama into my life

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 4 Replies

My brother is going through some things and my husband and I have let him stay basically rent free because he has to pay a lawyer so he can try to see his kids. But I am starting to see why he should not be around his kids because he is a alchoholic, unfortunatly his kids mom is not much better she is crazy and has tried to kill herself a number of times. Letting him stay with us is helping him but he is not doing me any favors. He gets drunk but he makes sure my husband isnt around when he does and if I say anything when he goes on his rants I am being a bitch to him. When we were younger he would be really mean to me and he is starting to be that way again. My dad was a alchoholic and I use to dread when he got drunk because thats were my brother learned it was okay to be mean to me in fact it was so bad that I would get scared and sad. I am starting to get like this with him I hate it when he starts drinking. He reminds me of my dad and brings those feelings out again. The worst part is when I try to talk to our only other sibling my sister. She takes up for him and just says he is going through things.  I am 7 1/2 months pregnant and I cannot deal with this. I do not want to kick him out but I am just getting tired of feeling like this in my own house. If I tell my husband all this he will kick my brother out and he will have no qualms in doing so. But then if it happens and something happens to him then I will feel guilty. Just not sure what to do and i just want to vent it because I have no where to vent it to.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 24, 2013 at 9:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on May. 24, 2013 at 9:35 PM
Tell him no drinking in your house. That's not a hardship. If he can afford tons of alcohol he's not that hard up.
kgsharber
by Member on May. 24, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Screw this!! He is literally using and abusing you, time for him to step up and get the he'll out!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 25, 2013 at 8:07 AM

Oh no....brother or no brother.

You are pregnant have a husband and your own family.

You are a wonderful sister.Your brother knows this deep inside...and I know he loves you and does not want to hurt you.Your brother has a disease and needs professional help.

Funny how your sister defends him...why doesnt she let him stay at her home then???

Call your local YMCA and get him renting a room or rehab if he wll go.See if he will go to AA meetings.They also have meetings for the families of alchoholics.The counselors can help guide you on what to do,and your brother to get on his feet.

They can also maybe help his kids and marriage.

Good luck!

MonarchMom22
by on May. 25, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Have you tried going to al-anon?  It sounds like you had a difficult family growing up, and some of the issues are still giving you problems sorting out your relationship with your brother.  Totally understandable.

Al-anon will help you set healthy boundaries for yourself and your children.  And give you the tools to be supportive of your brother without being his victim.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)