Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Other half thinks he does enough

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 68 Replies
My boyfriend and I have lived together for nearly 2 years. Both of us make the same amount of money and both of us work long hours. My issue is that even though we have a weekly housekeeper he will not pick up after himself. He will wait for my teenage sons to get back from their other parents home and make them clean up after him
He will not unload a clean dishwasher
He will pull what he needs out of a dryer full of clothes and leave the rest hanging out of the dryer
He will not hand wash dishes even though there are 5 of us in the home including his toddler and my two teenagers
And he will not wash even his own laundry.
Now like I said we work about the same amount of hours and spilt the bills evenly...
He may change my oil every 4-6 months and tune up my truck occasionally but I am expected to clean up the entire house after him and all the kids and frankly it has driven to me to be physically ill..
Any advice on how to get him to help?
Posted by Anonymous on May. 24, 2013 at 11:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on May. 24, 2013 at 11:57 PM
2 moms liked this

Mom strike!

psych_mom
by on May. 25, 2013 at 12:01 AM

How old is he?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 25, 2013 at 12:01 AM
I am going through the exact thing with my husband! I am feeling so resentful and it just sucks. I feel drained I feel like I give and give and get nothing in return
Lauren79
by on May. 25, 2013 at 12:23 AM
Sounds like he needs to cut the umbilical cord to his mama and not expect you to be doing it all and grow the fuck up and help out, ESPECIALLY with his toddler!
Perle1
by Member on May. 25, 2013 at 12:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I stopped doing my husbands laundry about a year before we divorced. I just pulled mine and our son's out of the dirty clothes and left his. He eventually started doing it himself. I continued to do the rest of the picking up, dishes and cooking. We also had a cleaning service so neither of us did heavy housework. He was unemployed and I work long hours. I divorced him. When he moved out it was so much easier to keep the house clean. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 25, 2013 at 12:41 AM
He says that making sure my teens do their job is basically what he does and since he shares week on week off custody of his toddler I am also volunteered to wake up 2 hours early the days the toddler mother works so she can be dropped off to me and I can take her daycare...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 25, 2013 at 12:46 AM
1 mom liked this
I tried that but his laundry smells so bad from his job running heavy equipment.. And he will leave it stashed in out bedroom. Maybe ill
Move it to the garage...

Quoting Perle1:

I stopped doing my husbands laundry about a year before we divorced. I just pulled mine and our son's out of the dirty clothes and left his. He eventually started doing it himself. I continued to do the rest of the picking up, dishes and cooking. We also had a cleaning service so neither of us did heavy housework. He was unemployed and I work long hours. I divorced him. When he moved out it was so much easier to keep the house clean. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 25, 2013 at 12:48 AM
He's just turned 30. I am 34 and living on my own since I was 19 when I had my first now teen

Quoting psych_mom:

How old is he?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 25, 2013 at 12:54 AM
2 moms liked this

He would have no clean laundry or a cooked meal from me for a very, very long time. If he can pick and choose how much work he wants to do around the house so can you. That's utter BS and I wouldn't be helping him out at all anymore.

kailu1835
by Bronze Member on May. 25, 2013 at 12:58 AM
Don't do the work for him, and don't let your kids do it either. You and your children are not his mommy.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)