Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

On our way to the poor house. Wanna join?

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:59 AM
  • 17 Replies
1 mom liked this

I am up to neck in my DH's stupid financial decisions.  It seems like it doesn't matter how much we have left in our accounts after bills on pay day, for him it's not enough and he will find a way to spend it.  I seriously believe it wouldn't matter if we had $500 or $1500 after bills, he'd find a way to spend it and then b*tch about it not being enough. 

I have a separate account that I plan to use for savings once I pay down some other debt like student loans (I just don't feel like arguing about how 'important' it is to pay them).  But, I know that saving in a separate account STILL won't solve the problem.  Because the truth is, we need to learn how to manage money TOGETHER.  I have provided ideas of how we can do things better, but he won't try them.  He won't come up with anything on his own either.  I just know it's going to be a long road ahead if we can't figure this out.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ACDC_fan
by Member on May. 29, 2013 at 12:11 PM

my SIL's hubby spends every last penny they have and bitches that it's not enough. He even pressured her to cash in her 401K and he spent it all for himself.
12 years later and he still does it. 

rebeccasmly
by Silver Member on May. 29, 2013 at 3:13 PM

I feel like we're on our way to the poor house too but I can't blame DH. We're finishing up the current renovation on our house and it feels like its draining us completely. I know its not but it sure feels that!

You are absolutely right though. You need to manage the finances together. See if their are marital classes nearby for finances. I know if we travel about an hour, its offered in that area. Good luck!

MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on May. 29, 2013 at 3:36 PM
Take control of the finances.
mers-mom
by Member on May. 29, 2013 at 3:43 PM
Same boat! My husbands gives us overdraft fees because hell spend and not even check the receipt. I had 10 in my purse for a treat for kids later today and when i opened my billfold it was gone. Hehad taken it. I do my best with our money... and thebest is at 9:00 am friday morning i pay all our bills to the penny, gas my car get groceries and stick 10 inmy wallet. Then i stand back and in two days 100 will disappear!
OwlNuggets
by Member on May. 29, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Quoting MissTacoBell:

Take control of the finances.

photo anigif_enhanced-buzz-7782-1364935841-8.gif
OwlNuggets
by Member on May. 29, 2013 at 3:45 PM
1 mom liked this

take control of the finances, be responsible for making sure all bills and expenses are paid, and whatever is left over should partially go into a savings account and the little bit left over is what you play with.

That's classic money management right there.

corpswife523
by Krystal on May. 29, 2013 at 3:58 PM

I'll see you there! Me & hubby found out were preggo, and hubby just bought a motorcycle.. He doesn't know what save means.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 29, 2013 at 3:58 PM
My first husband was the same way...we actually could not take any money out of our savings unless we were both at the bank to sign for it..we were actually able to save 10,000 in 6 months..
vonnievonvon
by on May. 29, 2013 at 4:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I say just keep ur account seperate the way u are doing....Thats what I have to do when it comes to money my hubby gambles all his ??? and I have my financial responsiblities under control an I dont give into his needs when hes broke...His needs are gambling? That is just not a need.Good luck to U.shake hand

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 29, 2013 at 8:49 PM
My ex hubby was like that. I have a very good job and get paid well. So his paycheck was supposed to go to paying down the mortgage. Nope he started businesses, bought timeshares, and ran up 15k on credit card debt. Yet he complained about when I bought horse riding stuff...um dirtbag my part time job was training I needed clothes for it

So we got divorced and I am still sorting stuff out.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)