Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you ever been annoyed by a neighbor's pet?

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:51 AM
  • 18 Replies

The 10 Most Annoying Things About Neighbors With Pets

by Ericka Sóuter

neoYou may love your four-legged friend, but that doesn't mean everyone else does. That is something we pet owners often forget. While we may find that little yappy bark endearing, it could be like nails on a chalkboard to everyone else within earshot. One mom shared her gripe about a neighbor's cat's bad behavior and the drastic actions she took to stop it.

This particularly kitty was a constant source of annoyance. Allowed outside, it would sit on top of cars and use gardens and kids' play areas as its own personal litter box. Despite complaints, the owner did nothing to corral her cat. So the neighbor did the unthinkable -- she had the city's animal control trap it and take it away. Harsh, sure, but it's totally within her rights. Check out 10 more things pet owners do that totally piss off their neighbors.

1. They let him bark incessantly at anything that catches his eye.
  2. They don't pick up Fido's poop. Despite the fact there are fines for this, some people still do it. Gross!
  3. They let their huge dog jump up on people, including little kids. The excuse? "He just wants to say hi!"
  4. They bring their pet along to visit neighbors even though they know the neighbors don't like animals in their home.
  5. They bring their dog over and let it drink from your cups or eat from your plates. 
  6. They think it's funny to pretend to tell their ferocious looking dog to attack a neighbor who is clearly timid around animals.
  7. They allow the dog to go off-leash during walks around the neighborhood.
  8. They let their pet pee and poop in the middle of a neighbor's yard. Curb him please!
  9. When the animal growls or hisses at an innocent passerby, they do nothing to calm him.
  10. They ignore their neighbors' many complaints.

Have you ever been annoyed by a neighbor's pet? What did you do about it?

by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
zumbafreak11
by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:31 AM
My neighbors let their stupid Chihuahuas run all over the place without a leash and shit in my yard.
cmabbott
by Member on May. 31, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Yes, they put her out and she incessantly barks.  It's gotten better since they had their 2nd child and the wife is home and she corrects her, the husband and babysitter never correct the dog it drives me nuts.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 31, 2013 at 9:56 AM
3 moms liked this
I get annoyed by the new donkeys nearby sometimes. Although when I'm having a rough day and it's silent and I hear them it makes me laugh.
cafay
by on May. 31, 2013 at 10:00 AM

My dogs are usually pretty quiet, But if the other nieghborhood dogs start barking,its a free for all!

MsMimna
by Member on May. 31, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Boy have I ....we live in the country where it's normal for a neighbors dog to show up from time to time at your house. But the guy that bought the property next to ours must not have gotten the message about looking for your pet if its missing for more than a day. This nasty little mutt of his would come over and instead of doing his business in the grass, decided he liked our wrap around deck much better....GRRRR... The first couple of times I went over nicely and told him about it and he apologized. When it still continued....hubby got a pellet gun and little doggy hasn't been back.....

mommersx4
by Member on May. 31, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I was bothered by my neighbors two large wild puppies. They dug under the fence, chewed up all my dogs toys brought them back to their yard, and even chewed up the pooper scooper, brand new. They barked all day when I was sick and I gave them each a Xanax wrapped in cheese!! These neighbors did not care and the dogs were very neglected. I also gave them cookies and water when they didn't have any. I moved soon affter they moved in, but it was miserable living next to those people.

Zadidoll
by Member on May. 31, 2013 at 1:29 PM
        They let him bark incessantly at anything that catches his eye.

The neighbor behind us has a dog they leave on their deck and that damn thing barks ALL the time. I've videotaped it barking for hours and turned it over to the code enforcement officer (part of the police dept). They were eventually fined after numerous complaints (and video). These same jerks also play loud music until 2 AM.

They don't pick up Fido's poop. Despite the fact there are fines for this, some people still do it. Gross!

Years ago at a different home we rented there was no front fence separating our yard from the neighbors. One day those neighbors moved in one of those large campers into their front yard for family to move in (also again the law). The camper was right on the property line so they had to step in our yard to get in and out of that camper so of course their dog used our lawn to poop and they REFUSED to clean up. I watched them many times, video taped it and turned it over to the police (different city, no code enforcement officer but they have animal control) who cited them for allowing their dog to be off property.

They bring their dog over and let it drink from your cups or eat from your plates.
My best friend does it this, well I should say former best friend. One day I had enough of her bringing her dog over and eat off my plates and forks. It was disgusting. I snapped because I don't even allow my beloved cats to eat off my dishes. And she allowed him to bark constantly that the last time she was here (a year ago) I had a headache and the damn dog barked and barked, ate off my dishes and she said something about my daughter so I snapped at her. Last time I spoke to her and last time she was here.
        They allow the dog to go off-leash during walks around the neighborhood.
Not again the law here so long as the dog is at heel... unfortunately too many don't have control of their damn dogs.
        They let their pet pee and poop in the middle of a neighbor's yard. Curb him please!

Worse are the ones who WATCH their dogs do that and do nothing about it. At our last home I watched a neighbor do that and quickly walked away without picking it up. I went outside with a gabage bag, picked it up and went to their house and dropped it on their doorstep (the poop was in the bag), knocked and said "you left this in my yard" and walked off. They never let their dog poop in our yard again. Wish the other neighbors that I mentiond before were more considerate but they were jerks who thought they could do what they want.

JTE11
by Gold Member on May. 31, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Number seven happens a lot around here. We get people who have an overinflated sense of how much control they actually have over their dogs. When DD and I take a walk down the road I have to take a golf club because idiots will walk with their "trained" dogs, who will bark and growl and run over when they see us, and I'm sorry, if your dog (even a little dog) is barking and running at my DD it's getting a 9 iron in the jaw.

tigerstripes12
by Member on May. 31, 2013 at 7:45 PM

my neighbors' pets don't really bother me.  one time the new neighbors' dog started barking at 2am and i was afraid it would wake the baby, but that only happened once and she didn't wake up.

my OWN pets bug me sometimes though, especially my husband's dog. omfh it smells like decomposing bodies smothered in sh*t once the temperature reaches 100.  it has chronic bronchitis and coughs all the time... wouldn't be a problem except he LOVES to do it conveniently JUST as the baby falls asleep.  he doesn't listen to me except when i send him out of the room.  he is constantl underfoot.  the nicer i am to him, the worse he behaves.  he only tries to jump on the couch or cross the babygate in the hallway (where he knows he isn't allowed) when i've been really nice to him for a few days, so i can't even be nice to him.

julainepw
by Member on Jun. 1, 2013 at 9:14 AM
I know my dog can annoy the neighbors so I try to get her in as soon as she starts barking. Particularly early in the morning or late in the evening. Unfortunately she barks at anyone walking by or near the yard. I usually apologize and bring her in. I always try to keep her off people when they come over. We have a fenced yard so no issue there. I don't bring my dog with me to random people houses. If I felt the need I would certainly ask first. You can't control everything another creature does but you should be respectful to neighbors and friends.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)