Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 13 yr old wants to move to dads

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 12:33 PM
  • 6 Replies
I am so upset and confused. My soon to be thirteen year old wants to move to her dads. Just a few months ago she was telling me she didnt want to go over there for visits. She has a counselor do to self cutting. Dad has never helped with sick days,appointments,vacation times from school, nothing but two weekend visits. She told the counselors she cut herself because of bullies at school. I took care of the bullying issue with the school. Now she's telling the counselor she wants to live with her dad because I am angry and lie. I am shocked and hurt. My other children don't share the same feelings and my oldest daughter is 16. She is at her dad's now, I'm going to let her stay. I am just so hurt after sacrificing so much and taking care of her and loving her.
by on May. 31, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 1, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Try family counseling.

WillsMOM72
by on Jun. 1, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Sorry your going through all that :( I have no advice except counseling.
jarkrt
by Member on Jun. 1, 2013 at 9:54 AM
She's probably trying to "escape" from whatever is bothering her (there may be more problems at school than she's telling you). That and she probably is curious about what it is like to live with her dad, and she thinks the grass is greener on the other side.

If he's so uninvolved like you say she is (I don't know what kind of guy he is or home environment he has), chances are she will beg to come back in a year, tops.

I went through the same thing when I was her age (minus the cutting).
psych_mom
by on Jun. 1, 2013 at 10:10 AM

I have to agree with pretty much all of this. Hugs to you!

Quoting jarkrt:

She's probably trying to "escape" from whatever is bothering her (there may be more problems at school than she's telling you). That and she probably is curious about what it is like to live with her dad, and she thinks the grass is greener on the other side.

If he's so uninvolved like you say she is (I don't know what kind of guy he is or home environment he has), chances are she will beg to come back in a year, tops.

I went through the same thing when I was her age (minus the cutting).

Alexsi1
by Alexandra on Jun. 1, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I'm sorry. I agree with jarkrt that there may be more than what she is tellying you. I hope you all get things worked out. Hugs.

MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Jun. 1, 2013 at 10:18 PM
You may think you dealt with the bullies, but they're cunning. They may still be an issue. You love her, let her go. Sad to say in 2 years you have to do it again.

Give her some distance and it may hurt you and make all the difference to her. :-) good luck.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)