Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Daughter smoking cigarettes?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 27 Replies

DH and I just found out over the weekend that our 16 year old has been smoking and has been allowed to smoke at her biomoms house for the past 3 months.  So now she wants to be able to smoke at our house when she's here on the weekends.  DH and I both smoke and DH says we should let her.  Tough situation, anyone been through this before?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
psych_mom
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this

If you don't let her, then you know she is going to do it behind your back anyways, but then again, do you want her doing something that you know is going to harm her? It is really a hard call. I wouldn't let my kids because we don't smoke- I have asthma as does two of my kids.

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:25 AM

She's going to whether you allow it or not. It's totally up to you guys. I've never been through this. I snuck smoking until I turned 18. I was permitted to smoke in the house. After my dad died, my mom came to me and asked if I felt it was rude to ask people to not smoke in the house anymore, now that there wasn't anyone that lived there smoking. I told her no. When I went over to her house, I went outside to smoke if I wished to do so. I mostly just waited until I left to smoke.

CafeMom Tickers
GarysWife1991
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:26 AM

My dh is an ex smoker I still smoke.  Our oldest started at 15 and we both decided that we would let her smoke at home but not in public.  It's such a terrible habit but dh and I both started young and know that kids are no different than adults and they won't quit until they are ready to do it themselves.  I don't think there is any easy answer and you just have to do what you feel is best in this situation. 

mysticalmalissa
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, I would let her but not provide them.

T-Branch
by New Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:06 PM
Its best that she smokes with you than someone else
JocelynMoods
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 1:33 PM
2 moms liked this

Maybe all of you could try quitting together, if you want to quit. I started smoking at 11 and quit when I was 26. It feels so nice to not be a smoker anymore. 

Jarelsmama
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this

When I started smoking I told my parents because I didn't want them to find out from someone else.

She's going to do it either way. I'd let her do it. I'd make it appoint that she has to smoke outside and not around children.

catrig
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Quoting JocelynMoods:

Maybe all of you could try quitting together, if you want to quit. I started smoking at 11 and quit when I was 26. It feels so nice to not be a smoker anymore. 

I agree with this.

rebeccasmly
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:24 PM

With your situation, I believe she's going to smoke anyway. Is mom a smoker too? That would be my guess since daughter is allowed to smoke in the house there. Do you all smoke inside your house, or do you step outside? Do you have other children in the home?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:27 PM
My parents knew I always smoked, but I never did it in front of them or had them supply it. Well I guess in a way they did. My allowance supported my habit. Lol.

It was routine to go smoke in my room, that whey I was 18, my mom came home and I ran and hid. Lol.
I say let her. Just dont supply them. She could be smoking somethin worse.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN