Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Man Catches Kids Vandalizing Home, Then Gets Accused of Something REALLY Out of Line

Posted by   + Show Post

Man Catches Kids Vandalizing Home, Then Gets Accused of Something REALLY Out of Line

by Nicole Fabian-Weber

lockIf you only heard half of the story, you'd totally side with Jesse Daniels. See, Daniels happened to catch a bunch of kids allegedly vandalizing the house he's been renovating. Like, really vandalizing. According to Daniels, he found four boys between the ages of 8 and 10 taking a hammer to the home. "One person was sitting on the floor and the other ones were swinging, just swinging crazy," Daniels said. But when you hear the boys' version of what happened, things change. Instead of simply calling the police to report the boys' obnoxious behavior, Daniels allegedly locked them in a closet until the cops got there. And that was after he did something really awful. 

According to the boys and their parents, Daniels grabbed the hammer, grabbed one of the kids by the throat, and threatened him. "I understand they were in the wrong but there are other ways to handle it," said one father. "He knew who the kids were; it's not like they were strangers. Send the kids home and call the cops then. You don't sit there and torment them and tell them you're going to bash their skulls in with a hammer."

Uh, amen to that. It isn't easy to side with kids who are bashing in a home with a hammer, but what Daniels allegedly did makes it possible. I can imagine he was beyond frustrated and mad to discover what the boys were doing -- as anyone would be -- but there's a way to deal with things. And that way doesn't involve grabbing kids' throats and locking them in a closet. Did these kids deserve to get in trouble? Absolutely. But they didn't deserve to fear for their life, which is probably what they were doing if what they're saying about Daniels is true.

If Daniels would have handled the situation less aggressively -- IE, if he would have called the cops and that's it -- he would have gotten exactly what he wanted: Punishment for these kids. But since his anger took over, he now may be facing charges, as well. (Charges that could potentially land him in jail for a year.) I doubt that's what he was after when he discovered what was being done to his house. But if this proves to be true, this is exactly what he deserves. Two wrongs don't make a right. As an adult, he should know that better than anyone.

What do you think of this?

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:46 PM

I'm sorry but I honestly don't think he went too far. 8 to 10 year olds taking a hammer to an empty home? Where the hell do things like that happen? I think these boys needed the fear of God put in them, or at least the fear of a crazy man with a hammer in hand. This could have gone so much worse. We are talking about children being in an empty home and encountering an adult who was a virtual stranger. What if this man was a pedophile? What if it hadn't been the homeowner who happened upon these boys, but some other person who could have done virtually anything to them in the absence of any parental supervision. If all these boys got was a little scared and locked in a closet for few minutes, I'd say they got off easy. Had this been my kids, they'd get worse, plus I'd be kicking my own ass for being such a fuck up of a parent.

mysticalmalissa
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:44 PM

I hope it scared the living crap out of those kids!!!

I also hope the parents of the kids pay for all of the damage!

calsmom62
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:31 PM
I'm surprised he didn't get charged with having an unsecured construction site. Or maybe .parents will sue for him that too. The kids will now see this in the light of that guy was wrong and he did a bad thing and got caught, not, we shouldn't been there damaging someone's property
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jun. 18, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Of course they would lie about it. I don't believe those brats for a minute. Perhaps next time, people should let kids do their shit and let the cops deal with it. 

laparla
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Both the kids and the man were wrong.  But just because the man was wrong doesn't mean the kids shouldn't get punished, and vice versa.

kailu1835
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 7:15 PM
I think he was perfectly fine doing what he did. Instead of feeling bad for the little criminals, how about holding them responsible for the 40,000 dollars worth of damage they did?

Why am I having deja vu?
kailu1835
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 7:18 PM
As a parent you should be furious that your child caused 40 THOUSAND dollars worth of damage to someone else home.

These kids were locked in the closet for all of the time it took for the police to get there, not for hours. It wasn't unreasonable to hold the kids there until the police for there so that they would have to face the consequences of their actions.

Quoting rebeccasmly:

As a parent, I would be furious he laid a hand on my kid and threatened them, then locked him in a closet. I have good, respectful children that do stupid stuff sometimes and bear the consequences of their actions. Those consequences being reasonable, not other people threatening to harm them and locking them in a closet. I would much rather deal with the police and court then have someone do what he did.

rebeccasmly
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 10:27 AM

I would be furious with my children and they know if they were to do anything this stupid, facing me would be worse facing the police. My point was, I would rather have the police involved and drag their butts to court and have them face their consequences that way than have a stranger lay a hand on my children and threaten them.

Quoting kailu1835:

As a parent you should be furious that your child caused 40 THOUSAND dollars worth of damage to someone else home.

These kids were locked in the closet for all of the time it took for the police to get there, not for hours. It wasn't unreasonable to hold the kids there until the police for there so that they would have to face the consequences of their actions.

Quoting rebeccasmly:

As a parent, I would be furious he laid a hand on my kid and threatened them, then locked him in a closet. I have good, respectful children that do stupid stuff sometimes and bear the consequences of their actions. Those consequences being reasonable, not other people threatening to harm them and locking them in a closet. I would much rather deal with the police and court then have someone do what he did.

kailu1835
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 11:42 AM
To me, those are the natural consequences of massively vandalizing his home. They're lucky he had a head on his shoulders, or it could have been much worse. As it is, they just got put in a closet for a few minutes. They got off easy, probably due to their age. If they'd been teens, he might have done a lot more than grab them and toss them in a closet.

This whole conversation (not this thread, but in general) is ridiculous and is about parents angry that their precious little criminals (adults causing this much damage would be doing serious jail time) got caught and had to face the consequences of an angry homeowner. If the parents had been doing their job, these kids wouldn't have put themselves into this sort of situation. I don't know about you, but my kid is 7. I don't let him roam the neighborhood with no one but slightly older kids to supervise. These parents seriously dropped the ball and have the nerve to be angry.

Quoting rebeccasmly:

I would be furious with my children and they know if they were to do anything this stupid, facing me would be worse facing the police. My point was, I would rather have the police involved and drag their butts to court and have them face their consequences that way than have a stranger lay a hand on my children and threaten them.

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting rebeccasmly:

RachelsMercy
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:10 PM

They did over $40,000 worth of damage. They were ages 8 through 10 which at that age, not only do they KNOW BETTER, but that is WAY young for such destructive behaiviors which makes me wonder what ELSE these kids do for "fun". And where are there parents that at age 8 they are unsupervised and breaking into homes with hammers and destroying them? The whole situation is why the guy SHOULD BE APPLAUDED. Maybe those kids got "scared straight" When my mom was a kid, if her or any of her friends had done something like that, the guy that caught them would have whupped them but good, called the sheriff, who would have whupped them but good and taken them all home to their parents who would have whupped them but good then made them all march over to the house, apologize, clean up the mess, then start working doing whatever odd jobs they could to pay for the repairs. But now this is the entitlement generation so these boys will probably get slaps on the wrist and the homeowners will probably never see all the restitution they are owed. If the courts only allow them to file a civil suit the max they can usually sue for for damages is $5,000. That leaves them on the hook for $35,000 to fix damages on TOP of all the money they had already put into the home to renovate it. SMDH.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)