Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Man Catches Kids Vandalizing Home, Then Gets Accused of Something REALLY Out of Line

Posted by   + Show Post

Man Catches Kids Vandalizing Home, Then Gets Accused of Something REALLY Out of Line

by Nicole Fabian-Weber

lockIf you only heard half of the story, you'd totally side with Jesse Daniels. See, Daniels happened to catch a bunch of kids allegedly vandalizing the house he's been renovating. Like, really vandalizing. According to Daniels, he found four boys between the ages of 8 and 10 taking a hammer to the home. "One person was sitting on the floor and the other ones were swinging, just swinging crazy," Daniels said. But when you hear the boys' version of what happened, things change. Instead of simply calling the police to report the boys' obnoxious behavior, Daniels allegedly locked them in a closet until the cops got there. And that was after he did something really awful. 

According to the boys and their parents, Daniels grabbed the hammer, grabbed one of the kids by the throat, and threatened him. "I understand they were in the wrong but there are other ways to handle it," said one father. "He knew who the kids were; it's not like they were strangers. Send the kids home and call the cops then. You don't sit there and torment them and tell them you're going to bash their skulls in with a hammer."

Uh, amen to that. It isn't easy to side with kids who are bashing in a home with a hammer, but what Daniels allegedly did makes it possible. I can imagine he was beyond frustrated and mad to discover what the boys were doing -- as anyone would be -- but there's a way to deal with things. And that way doesn't involve grabbing kids' throats and locking them in a closet. Did these kids deserve to get in trouble? Absolutely. But they didn't deserve to fear for their life, which is probably what they were doing if what they're saying about Daniels is true.

If Daniels would have handled the situation less aggressively -- IE, if he would have called the cops and that's it -- he would have gotten exactly what he wanted: Punishment for these kids. But since his anger took over, he now may be facing charges, as well. (Charges that could potentially land him in jail for a year.) I doubt that's what he was after when he discovered what was being done to his house. But if this proves to be true, this is exactly what he deserves. Two wrongs don't make a right. As an adult, he should know that better than anyone.

What do you think of this?

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Replies (21-25):
Closet_Case
by Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Quoting mysticalmalissa:

I hope it scared the living crap out of those kids!!!

I also hope the parents of the kids pay for all of the damage!

MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Legally he's screwed. But if I just went into someone's house and started destroying it and someone did this to me, I'd be way more terrified of what I was going to face when I got home. My dad did.not.take.shit from any of his kids.
rebeccasmly
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:28 PM

You may think that is a natural consequence but we don't. Yes, we have been there and it was older teens/young 20s with business property. Our business is our livelihood, the price of equipment and such is more than we make in a year. So property damage to our business is huge. (All I can say is thank God for insurance!) The police was called and while 1 of the kids ran off, it didn't take long for the others to rat him out. It was all handled in a way that didn't require getting physical or making threats. Having the kids wait for police is a lot different than handling them physically. When this happened a handful of years ago, I was extremely proud of how my husband handled it along with another guy with him, who is a hot head. We also used it as a learning experience for our children.

For me I understand that the children did wrong in a biiiig way and I agree they should be punished and face the consequences of what they did as should the parents. I think the homeowner reacted out of anger without thinking though and that's what I have a problem with. He even knew the kids and knew their families so even if the kids did run off, he knew where to find them.

If they were my children, I would be angry at how things were handled, but I definitely would not let my children get away with it either. They would be facing the legal consequences and consequences at home.

I have teens and a younger child (7 also), we have never had any problems with them like this. We always know where they are at, they do extremely well with checking in with us if they are with friends and plans change. As I said in the beginning, they are respectful, well-behaved children. But they do do stupid stuff at times, I'm not going to be blind about my children's behavior.

If we expect the children to handle their consequences, why should we expect any less out of an adult? He became physical and threatening, that is wrong.

Quoting kailu1835:

To me, those are the natural consequences of massively vandalizing his home. They're lucky he had a head on his shoulders, or it could have been much worse. As it is, they just got put in a closet for a few minutes. They got off easy, probably due to their age. If they'd been teens, he might have done a lot more than grab them and toss them in a closet.

This whole conversation (not this thread, but in general) is ridiculous and is about parents angry that their precious little criminals (adults causing this much damage would be doing serious jail time) got caught and had to face the consequences of an angry homeowner. If the parents had been doing their job, these kids wouldn't have put themselves into this sort of situation. I don't know about you, but my kid is 7. I don't let him roam the neighborhood with no one but slightly older kids to supervise. These parents seriously dropped the ball and have the nerve to be angry.

Quoting rebeccasmly:

I would be furious with my children and they know if they were to do anything this stupid, facing me would be worse facing the police. My point was, I would rather have the police involved and drag their butts to court and have them face their consequences that way than have a stranger lay a hand on my children and threaten them.

Quoting kailu1835:

As a parent you should be furious that your child caused 40 THOUSAND dollars worth of damage to someone else home.

These kids were locked in the closet for all of the time it took for the police to get there, not for hours. It wasn't unreasonable to hold the kids there until the police for there so that they would have to face the consequences of their actions.

Quoting rebeccasmly:

As a parent, I would be furious he laid a hand on my kid and threatened them, then locked him in a closet. I have good, respectful children that do stupid stuff sometimes and bear the consequences of their actions. Those consequences being reasonable, not other people threatening to harm them and locking them in a closet. I would much rather deal with the police and court then have someone do what he did.

kailu1835
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 1:31 PM
So they say. They're kids who were caught being huge criminals. They likely lied.

Quoting rebeccasmly:You may think that is a natural consequence but we don't. Yes, we have been there and it was older teens/young 20s with business property. Our business is our livelihood, the price of equipment and such is more than we make in a year. So property damage to our business is huge. (All I can say is thank God for insurance!) The police was called and while 1 of the kids ran off, it didn't take long for the others to rat him out. It was all handled in a way that didn't require getting physical or making threats. Having the kids wait for police is a lot different than handling them physically. When this happened a handful of years ago, I was extremely proud of how my husband handled it along with another guy with him, who is a hot head. We also used it as a learning experience for our children.For me I understand that the children did wrong in a biiiig way and I agree they should be punished and face the consequences of what they did as should the parents. I think the homeowner reacted out of anger without thinking though and that's what I have a problem with. He even knew the kids and knew their families so even if the kids did run off, he knew where to find them.If they were my children, I would be angry at how things were handled, but I definitely would not let my children get away with it either. They would be facing the legal consequences and consequences at home.I
have teens and a younger child (7 also), we have never had any problems
with them like this. We always know where they are at, they do
extremely well with checking in with us if they are with friends and
plans change. As I said in the beginning, they are respectful,
well-behaved children. But they do do stupid stuff at times, I'm not going to be blind about my children's behavior. If we expect the children to handle their consequences, why should we expect any less out of an adult? He became physical and threatening, that is wrong.Quoting kailu1835:To me, those are the natural consequences of massively vandalizing his home. They're lucky he had a head on his shoulders, or it could have been much worse. As it is, they just got put in a closet for a few minutes. They got off easy, probably due to their age. If they'd been teens, he might have done a lot more than grab them and toss them in a closet.

This whole conversation (not this thread, but in general) is ridiculous and is about parents angry that their precious little criminals (adults causing this much damage would be doing serious jail time) got caught and had to face the consequences of an angry homeowner. If the parents had been doing their job, these kids wouldn't have put themselves into this sort of situation. I don't know about you, but my kid is 7. I don't let him roam the neighborhood with no one but slightly older kids to supervise. These parents seriously dropped the ball and have the nerve to be angry.

Quoting rebeccasmly:I would be furious with my children and they know if they were to do anything this stupid, facing me would be worse facing the police. My point was, I would rather have the police involved and drag their butts to court and have them face their consequences that way than have a stranger lay a hand on my children and threaten them.Quoting kailu1835:As a parent you should be furious that your child caused 40 THOUSAND dollars worth of damage to someone else home.

These kids were locked in the closet for all of the time it took for the police to get there, not for hours. It wasn't unreasonable to hold the kids there until the police for there so that they would have to face the consequences of their actions.

Quoting rebeccasmly:

As a parent, I would be furious he laid a hand on my kid and threatened them, then locked him in a closet. I have good, respectful children that do stupid stuff sometimes and bear the consequences of their actions. Those consequences being reasonable, not other people threatening to harm them and locking them in a closet. I would much rather deal with the police and court then have someone do what he did.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 19, 2013 at 1:46 PM

A little harsh... but I bet they won't do it again. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)