Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How the heck do you respond to that?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 507 Replies
13 moms liked this

Before I had my little angel (adopted), when I was going through the process, I've heard all kinds of nonsense.

And now, that I have her, a "friend" shoots that at me:

"You're so generous to take her in, but don't you want to be a real mom?"

What... the... F?

Since when is adopting charity, and since when adoptive moms are not real moms? What century are we at again?

Update: Before I get crazy answering all the questions, I though I should add that I can not have children from my own body.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 27, 2013 at 9:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rebeccasmly
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 9:41 AM
124 moms liked this

How goood of a friend is she? I don't know if I would call her friend after this. You are a real mom, the only mom this little girl knows. I do believe it takes a special person to adopt and that its not for everyone but that does not make it charity nor does it mean you're not a "real" mom. That is ridiculous.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 27, 2013 at 9:55 AM
99 moms liked this

This so-called-friend must have some problem. I haven't even been talking to her much after this.

But come on. I am literally her only known mom, since her birth mom left her soon after giving birth (she gave birth and took off without the baby, I learned this when I was going through the paperwork).

And needless to say dd is the pride and joy of my life. And last I checked, being a mom was a state from the heart. Any woman with a functioning uterus can give birth, but not every woman can be a mom.

Quoting rebeccasmly:

How goood of a friend is she? I don't know if I would call her friend after this. You are a real mom, the only mom this little girl knows. I do believe it takes a special person to adopt and that its not for everyone but that does not make it charity nor does it mean you're not a "real" mom. That is ridiculous.

psych_mom
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:18 AM
25 moms liked this

Wow, what rock has she been living under. You decided to be a mom to a little girl that didn't have one- that is something that takes a lot of love, so definitely a real mom.

AJ-47
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:20 AM
3 moms liked this
She obviously has no clue.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:22 AM
7 moms liked this

I was so upset. You have no idea.

If I wasn't so nice, I'd have told her to F*** off and punched her nose.

Quoting psych_mom:

Wow, what rock has she been living under. You decided to be a mom to a little girl that didn't have one- that is something that takes a lot of love, so definitely a real mom.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:23 AM
4 moms liked this

I guess she probably thinks people adopt out of pity. Not out of the desire to have a family and give someone one too.

Quoting AJ-47:

She obviously has no clue.

frugal.mom
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:32 AM
6 moms liked this

REALLY?
Of course your a real mom you don't need to physically give birth to a child to be a mom! I would not be her friend after this.

ArlieBeeMee
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:34 AM
17 moms liked this
Four of my 7, are adopted.. Fuck her.. I'm all the mom to them as my "blood" kids, they never even second guess it, ppl are so screwed up in the head!!! I never say "these are mine, an them are adopted" you don't do those things, like I have a wrestling mom I hang out with an when she introduces herself an her kids she says "these are mine, an these are my step kids" wtf I hate it..
Miss_Mandy80
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:41 AM
6 moms liked this

You ARE a real Mom. Period. End of story. Your "friend" seems to have some kind of a probelm. Who would even say something like that?! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:51 AM
6 moms liked this

I know. We haven't been talking much after that. I mean, there's no such thing as a "fake" mom.

She's my daughter, end of story. Jesus.

Quoting frugal.mom:

REALLY?
Of course your a real mom you don't need to physically give birth to a child to be a mom! I would not be her friend after this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)