Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

He's Lazy & Acts Like A Child.

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:54 PM
  • 29 Replies

My husband is 23, plays video games, works, and eats. That's his whole life. He won't put away his dishes, throw away half eaten food, put his food away, or even put his game controller ontop the entertainment center so I won't trip over it. He gets me so angry, every time I let him know about it, no matter how nice I am, he gets mad, takes his phone to another room and watches SportsCenter or plays a game on it. Omg he gets my blood going.. Do something for Christ's sake.!

by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jlmc
by Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 1:50 AM

Are you a SAHM? If you are a SAHM and he works and provides I would say accept your role and do the house work and clean up after him. If you are not and you also have a job I would throw the dishes at him and smash his controller. 

yryssa1
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 1:53 AM
sounds like his momma didn't raise him right. or on the flip side was too damn strict now he's being lazy
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 28, 2013 at 1:54 AM
7 moms liked this
I don't agree with that. Being a SAHM does not make you a maid or servant or housekeeper or slave. The man is not the king of the castle. We are partners and he can throw his food away or put stuff away. There's no excuse for laziness inside the home. One person can't cook and clean and take care of the kids every day all day. That's like if her husband was at his job and did everyone else's work. Just like coworkers help share the load at a job, husbands need to help out in the home too. I'm a SAHM and I do most of the cooking and cleaning and grocery shopping but i will be damned if I let my husband throw his socks on the floor or not throw away his food in the garbage. That's not asking too much to have them to simple basic things.

Quoting jlmc:

Are you a SAHM? If you are a SAHM and he works and provides I would say accept your role and do the house work and clean up after him. If you are not and you also have a job I would throw the dishes at him and smash his controller. 

jlmc
by Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 2:05 AM

I am a SAHM too and my husband just naturally cleans up after himself and does the basics but honestly if he didn't I would. I mean he helps so much and we have a good life because of him I wouldnt fuss over him not clearing his plate, plus her man is 23... they tend to like to play video games and are in the phase of life of being lazy.. its to be expected in my opinon. I see your point I am not saying she should be a slave to him and wipe his ass but the role of a SAHM is to care for the home and people in it. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't agree with that. Being a SAHM does not make you a maid or servant or housekeeper or slave. The man is not the king of the castle. We are partners and he can throw his food away or put stuff away. There's no excuse for laziness inside the home. One person can't cook and clean and take care of the kids every day all day. That's like if her husband was at his job and did everyone else's work. Just like coworkers help share the load at a job, husbands need to help out in the home too. I'm a SAHM and I do most of the cooking and cleaning and grocery shopping but i will be damned if I let my husband throw his socks on the floor or not throw away his food in the garbage. That's not asking too much to have them to simple basic things.

Quoting jlmc:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 28, 2013 at 2:07 AM
That's why 23 year olds shouldn't be married or have kids . Men are way too immature at that age. Just my opinion

Quoting jlmc:

I am a SAHM too and my husband just naturally cleans up after himself and does the basics but honestly if he didn't I would. I mean he helps so much and we have a good life because of him I wouldnt fuss over him not clearing his plate, plus her man is 23... they tend to like to play video games and are in the phase of life of being lazy.. its to be expected in my opinon. I see your point I am not saying she should be a slave to him and wipe his ass but the role of a SAHM is to care for the home and people in it. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting jlmc:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 28, 2013 at 7:55 AM
1 mom liked this

tell him to shape up or YOU are shipping out...then do it

ArlieBeeMee
by Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 8:01 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh honey I did that for 5yrs.. Took me leaving to get him to man up... Then he wanted a second chance.. No thank you.. Men don't really grow up till 30.. Good luck!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 28, 2013 at 8:07 AM

Some never grow up.  Get used to it, accept it or imply consequences.  Most men like this were "favored" or neglected and learned the behavior.  "Mommy will do it for me...with a smile"  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:16 AM

My husband and I were both 21 when he got married. We divided up the chores.He didn't play video games and he was not lazy. He cleaned up after himself. Then I became a SAHM and did the bulk of cleaning and cooking but he still helps.

zetajen
by New Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:24 AM

have you talked to him about it when its not in the moment? So when you didn't just walk into the kitchen and see his mess and are frustrated with him, talk to him. Tell him that you need him to hear what you are saying and work toward changing his behavior to become a productive member of the household. let him have input on how and where he can help out. tell him what deal breakers are. Honestly, he is still a child. this is evident not only in his age, but lifestyle. So most likely you will need to treat him like a child and give him clear rules with consequences that are both appropriate for the crime and that he knows about in advance. then they need to be consistently enforced.

I would tell him that you expect x minutes of work around the house every day, every other day, whatever your expectations are. in that time he can choose from a list of chores, dishes, laundry, vacuming, etc. Whenever you find your pet peeves like dishes out, food out. etc. then you add 15 minutes to his daily chore load per item. When the game controler is left out, it disappears for a week.

I would tell him this is the deal or I walk. If he doesn't change, this relationship will end eventually. You will get worn out nagging him, he will get worn out listening and coming up with excuses. you will stop communicating, you will stop physical contact and eventually one of you will either cheat or just walk away. So might as well call it now. change or done.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)