Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Never working in childcare industry again

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies

This is the second time I got scammed by another mom while working as a nanny. Both times, the mothers I was working for tried to not pay me everything they owed me when I quit the job for understandable reasons. The first time it was for a whole week's pay, like $500, and the woman kept denying she owed me any money and tried to physically push me out of her house but I called 911 because that's how angry I was and the police stayed at the house until she finally wrote me the check after 20 minutes. From that I learned to always write a nanny contract in case I need to take something to small claims. 

This time, I still haven't gotten paid for my last day of work. It's not much money because it's just for one day and I only worked 2-3 hours a day for this job. Because the mom really tried to befriend me as an equal, and their house was a 10 minute walk away from me, and because it was a small part time job, I didn't think I needed to write a contract. (What a mistake. I know, this part is my fault). 

Fishy enough, even though I worked M-F, when the first Friday rolled around she said I would get paid each Friday for my work Friday-Thursday, not Monday-Friday, even tho they were paying under the table just writing a check. I contacted her Saturday quitting the job because I wasn't getting paid enough for what I was doing for them (she scammed me in the job description too). That was almost 2 weeks ago now, and since then I've been trying to get my check for working Friday since on Friday she only paid me for that week up til Thursday, not including Friday. 

I hate it when people try to scam me, so I've been calling, texting, and I've gone to their house twice to see if they're there - no one answered, no one is responding texts or calls. 

Both times this has happened, it's been with upper middle class/wealthy families. I don't understand how people perfectly well off can treat a woman this way, I was polite and friendly and professional with them the whole time. I've been in this industry for 6 years and am very qualified. I'm leaving because I'm tired of the way people treat their nannies. I can stand up for myself, but I'm always super nice and friendly until I have to stand up for myself. Maybe I come across as someone who can be taken advantage of because I'm nice and I'm young, but I still I don't get how people have it in their heart to scam an innocent nanny. 

Actually, I could go on and on about how many mothers treat their nannies like shit, even when the nanny is a professional adult just like them. But I've already written a lot.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 29, 2013 at 2:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
opal10161973
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Even with contracts there is almost no way to get the courts to side with you.  You have to prove your case and they can always lie and say you never worked that day.  There is no way to prove it, unless you have texts or something in writing every day that shows your days of work and signed by the employer, which I have never heard of them doing.  It's best to just get out of the field and do something different.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 29, 2013 at 3:00 PM

True, I love working with kids but I never feel fully respected by their mothers. :(

Quoting opal10161973:

Even with contracts there is almost no way to get the courts to side with you.  You have to prove your case and they can always lie and say you never worked that day.  There is no way to prove it, unless you have texts or something in writing every day that shows your days of work and signed by the employer, which I have never heard of them doing.  It's best to just get out of the field and do something different.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 29, 2013 at 3:06 PM

What does this say about the way we see children when people who work with children are considered less than??? 

Not just talking about getting scammed, but the general disrespect, getting treated like you don't have a "real job".

opal10161973
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 5:01 PM

I can't imagine they would ever consider you their equal.  You are "the help" after all.  Snobby twunts. 

Quoting Anonymous:

True, I love working with kids but I never feel fully respected by their mothers. :(

Quoting opal10161973:

2012Rabbit12
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:31 PM

The owners of quizo's tried to scam me out of alot of money. And not only me, but a bunch of other girls too.  I finally quit when my hours got cut because some girl who had quit a long time ago came back to work and was automatically given full time.  The owners tried to pay me alot less then they owed me for my last check. But I made them pay me everything they owed me. my point is, people are like this everywhere, not just in childcare.

anotherhalf
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 7:44 PM

I wonder what how a family would react if during your next nannie interview you asked them for references.  I'd love to see that.

MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Jun. 29, 2013 at 7:59 PM
I sure hope you are reporting that income. If you are you can threaten to report them as your employer and they will have to pay payroll taxes.

Anyhow, look for local nanny agencies to work for so you're sure you get paid. Or create your own llc for nanny jobs so they're paying a business not just a person.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:04 AM

Quoting MissTacoBell:

I sure hope you are reporting that income. If you are you can threaten to report them as your employer and they will have to pay payroll taxes.

Anyhow, look for local nanny agencies to work for so you're sure you get paid. Or create your own llc for nanny jobs so they're paying a business not just a person.

Thanks

torream
by Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:46 AM

Here is what I would do in the future if you decide to take on another childcare job. On a word document, create a template so you can print off a fresh one every week. On this template have sections for each day of the week, hours worked, additional "chores" or duties preformed, compensation for services(add a dollar amount), and a section for daily signatures from your employer and yourself. This way, you have proof of when you worked and the agreed amount of compensation for the day and for additional services you have provided. Make them sign next to each day BEFORE you leave.

I am so sorry this happened to you. I would never do this to someone who has been caring for my child or anyone else for that matter. If anything, I always over compensated my nannies when I had to have them because I appreciated the work and care they provided me and my children.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 30, 2013 at 7:56 AM

Quoting torream:

Here is what I would do in the future if you decide to take on another childcare job. On a word document, create a template so you can print off a fresh one every week. On this template have sections for each day of the week, hours worked, additional "chores" or duties preformed, compensation for services(add a dollar amount), and a section for daily signatures from your employer and yourself. This way, you have proof of when you worked and the agreed amount of compensation for the day and for additional services you have provided. Make them sign next to each day BEFORE you leave.

I am so sorry this happened to you. I would never do this to someone who has been caring for my child or anyone else for that matter. If anything, I always over compensated my nannies when I had to have them because I appreciated the work and care they provided me and my children.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN