Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

More Protection for the Stay-At-Home Mom

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:14 PM
  • 35 Replies

Hello and I am Dorothy Thomas. I am a stay-at-home mom. My husband walked out on me and our 2 children. I am in a fight to get child support but with him being an independent contractor it is hard to prove his income. He did not correctly report his tax return and using the Child Support Services here is horrible. So I decided to try and solve this problem for me and other stay-at-home parents. So I wrote a letter to the governor of my state, the senator in my district and my state rep. that is in Washington.

I was told to join groups like these to gain support for the bills that I wanted to introduce into law. The bill will help stay-at-home parent get more money to help take care of the children and more money to help him/her to take care of his/herself. I would require that the main financial provider leave more than just child support, it would require that financial support was left for the caregiver also.

If anyone is interested in supporting me with this bill please reply back and i will start a pertition on-line. I do not know if this is allowed but this is the only way that I know to gain the support that i need to get this bill presented for consideration into law.

If there are any questions, feel free to e-mail me at dorothythomas41@hotmail.com and put Support in the subject line.

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anotherhalf
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Isn't what you want called spousal support?  How is it different?  If you want more money, why not just change the child support formula to provide for more child support?

calsmom62
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:33 PM
alimony. why didnt your divorce lawyer ask for it
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:43 PM
You're insane.
mysticalmalissa
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:45 PM

When my ex became my ex, I wanted nothing more to do with him or his money.

Why didn't you get spousal support?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Why dont u just get a job?
spicy_n_sweet
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Totally not interested in supporting such a bill.  I believe women should protect themselves. That's what prenups/post nups/palimony agreements and personal income/savings are for.

I wish you luck though. I hope things turn out well for you in the end.

dorothyrobin
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:10 AM

Because it is not just about the child, how can a child have a stable enviroment of a stable frame of mind if the caregiver is not stable his/herself?

Most fail to see that a child is guided by the main caregiver in the house and although money is important, the frame of mind that the caregiver has is equally important. If a caregiver can not take care of his/herself, how can he/she take care of a child. Any why should the caregiver have to give up the role of caregiver and play the role of caregiver and financial provider also?

dorothyrobin
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:17 AM

Alimony is not always enough. And I do not have a divorce lawyer. I am trying to even the playing field for women that is in this situation. When I do get an attorney, I know how to fight my battle but I am also seeking other means of help to improve my situation. I will not just let my husband give me whatever the amount of child support that he wants to fib about. I will fight for me and my children. I did not have to fib to give him the child and I should not have to fight to get what is rightfully ours

Most people do not actually understands this until it happens to them or someone they know. I have spoken with attorneys that share the same feeling that I share. And they are employed with jobs and they see that the scales are unbalanced. And thoses are the lawyers that are hard to find, the ones that are working for you and not the money.

dorothyrobin
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:24 AM
1 mom liked this
I have several jobs, contrary to actual belief. Being a stay-at-home mother is a JOB. If you research it, a stay-at-home caregiver has an employment value of 34,000.00 a year. Besides that, I homeschool my children, balance the household budget, pay the bills, clean the house and clothes, grocery shopping, cook, and all the other things that is needed for day to day living. Now you may not consider that to be a job, but I do and I will not add anymore stress to myself because someone else to do want to play their role as the financial provider anymore. I will stand my ground. That is the problem with most caregivers, they do not understand what they are actually worth. I am valuable, that is why I have to determination to fight for what I believe to be right.
dorothyrobin
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Thank you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)