Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sort of not sure if I said the right things... Sry if TMI

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies
I need advice. I just caught my daughter masterbating, she is 8 yrs old. She did not admit it at first but finally admitted that she was. I tried to have the talk. I hope I said the right things. Has anyone else dealt with this yet? What did you say? I do not know why but it makes me a little uncomfortable. Any advice would be good. I didn't make her feel bad for it. I think we need to have a more in depth talk later though. Just need advice on how to approach it.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:01 PM
Nothing personal, but you said "caught" as in she was doing something wrong, I like what my mother said and did when she walked in on me, nothing at all.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:50 PM
I didn't say that to her.

Quoting Anonymous:

Nothing personal, but you said "caught" as in she was doing something wrong, I like what my mother said and did when she walked in on me, nothing at all.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:52 PM
I felt a need to talk about it. I didn't make her feel bad at all and never used the word "caught" with her....... Only
Used it on this post. So do you have any advice?
Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:54 PM

I don't think you should've made a big deal about it at all, why should she have to "admit" anything? I always just told my kids to go in their rooms if they wanted to do that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 17, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Ok, so somehow you found out that this was what they were doing obviously have to ask to find out right? So you knew what they were doing and told them to go be private about it you obviously have to know what they were doing Tell them that.......right

Quoting Lindalou907:

I don't think you should've made a big deal about it at all, why should she have to "admit" anything? I always just told my kids to go in their rooms if they wanted to do that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 17, 2013 at 12:40 AM
In my original post I also said I did not make her feel bad about it. I am just asking for advice and the words in my posts were not said to her.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 17, 2013 at 12:43 AM
I never made a "big deal" about it. I guess that must have been the impression I gave?

Quoting Anonymous:

Ok, so somehow you found out that this was what they were doing obviously have to ask to find out right? So you knew what they were doing and told them to go be private about it you obviously have to know what they were doing Tell them that.......right

Quoting Lindalou907:

Momofmenagerie
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 1:29 AM
Now, dear mom, tis time to knock. I was
Humping my stuffed animals at age five.

It sounds like you maybe need some perspective on why it bothers you so much. She's growing up and it feels good. She was in her own her room, probably in bed, under the covers.

I have an inking that this distresses you because it is a clear sign your daughter is experimenting with her own body... And what is to come as she continues to develop.

Just.... Knock from now on, regardless of if it'sasturbation or getting dressed.... At age 8 or nine... Time to knock!
AuntieM
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 2:41 AM
My son's penis was his favorite toy at a very early age. So I had to explain that it was okay to do it but he needed to be in his room with the door closed or in the bathroom with the door closed. Just make sure your daughter knows it's a private thing and if she has any questions she can talk to you.

Oh, and make sure you knock from now on. Your little girl is growing up and privacy is part of that.
busymommy2013
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 2:44 AM
Masturbation is normal. I'm sure she's been playing with herself for years. (Yes, a pediatrician told me that young children do this and is completely natural. Its part of figuring out sexuality)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)