Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Confused, worried & pregnant.

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:25 PM
  • 22 Replies

So, I'm 14w4d pregnant. Me and hubby just moved back to our home state after him being in the military. It's been about a month and neither of us are having luck finding a job...

Hubby has applied for school and will be applying for unemployment. He used his GI bill so it's free and we'll be getting BAH so that will mean we'll have some money coming in. With BAH and unemployment it should add up between 2,000 - 2,500 a month..

I have sent my resume to about 10 companies at least.. Which were all 'professional' companies. I told hubby if I don't hear from any of them soon I'll be calling Subway down the road for a job. We can't wait any longer in my opinion.. I would like to start stocking up on diapers, wipes, bibs, burp rags and everything we will need a bunch of.

It really bothers me that hubby isn't as worried as I am or worried at all.. I don't think he understands how big of a deal having a BABY is! Or he chooses not to stress out about it. Ughh!!

I just hate the Hurry Up and Wait game!

Please God.. Help me!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
littlesippycup
by iloveanons on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Oh girl =( Lots and lots of good luck during this stressful time. Go easy stocking up on newborn and size 1. Have you considered cloth diapering at all? You can use cloth wipes. I only used them for pee diapers and used disposable for poopy diapers. 

ETA I meant I used cloth wipes for peepee diapers and disposable wipes for poopy. They also make flushable liners to catch the poop.

egrzesik91
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:30 PM
1 mom liked this

2000-2500 is alot of money for not physically working. I think your anxiety is getting the best of you. Just cut back on unnecessary spending.

mysticalmalissa
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I think you will be just fine!

corpswife523
by Krystal on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:39 PM

I was thinking of going to Diapers.com and buying the boxes with multiple sizes. Me and hubby would rather use disposable diapers and wipes.

Thank you for all the good luck!

Quoting littlesippycup:

Oh girl =( Lots and lots of good luck during this stressful time. Go easy stocking up on newborn and size 1. Have you considered cloth diapering at all? You can use cloth wipes. I only used them for pee diapers and used disposable for poopy diapers. 

corpswife523
by Krystal on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:42 PM

I guess that's true.. I've been told many times how expensive babyies are, so I guess I'm just freaking out we won't have enough. I'll feel better once we start getting the money, I'm sure. I'll have to nag the CRAP out of hubby about the spending.. He's terrible about that!

Quoting egrzesik91:

2000-2500 is alot of money for not physically working. I think your anxiety is getting the best of you. Just cut back on unnecessary spending.

Candie1015
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:46 PM
On the hubbie part all men tend to be less stressed then women especially when we are pregnant. Its when the hubby gets stressed that you need to start worrying. Also if he is stressed he probably isn't gonna show it. I know when mine is stressed he laughs everything off and pretends were ok but he always has subtle tells or he vents to his mom and they tell me. 2, 500 is what my hubby bring in working...sometimes less. He is the only one working atm and I am also 14 weeks. He is able to take care of all the bills, our 4 yr old, us, and we have already bought a couple of boxes of wipes and stuff. I hope this makes you feel better though
egrzesik91
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:48 PM

ANd using cloth diapers only for pee won't work. Babies unpredictably poop most of the time and usually poop every diaper change as a newborn and even further as you breastfeed. Buy Indian Prefolds and ALva baby covers. Then prep for washing them. You should get ECOS Free detergent and you can get it cheap at Walmart. Use the amount for a small load but the water on hot, and large load. Wash once, then dry on high heat. After dry wash again the same way (just to prep so they will soak well since they will not come like that). Save yourself the time, trouble and money by gently used prefolds. They are sanitized before you get them but just in case wash on hot water, small load amount of detergent, large load and double rinse. Then dry on high. Make sure you NEVER dry Alva Baby covers since they have elastic and it will break down. All in ones CAN NOT be sanitized so if the baby has any sickness or infection, it will reoccur. The elastic in all-in-ones will also break down, so paying $25 for ONE AIO diaper is not worth it whatsoever. 

google Alva Baby covers. They take a while to come in but they are cute, cheap and work great! 

I go through cotton babies for the Indian prefolds. I have also bought used and new from Jillians drawers. I would look into wool covers as well. Like 3 of them for when they get older around 8 months to a year. They keeo the baby dry as it wicks away moisture, they are antibacterial, have to be washed every few WEEKS, don't smell ever, and are MORE comfortable than anything. They are more pricey but they are worth it and keep the baby dry for overnight (though you would still double up the prefold but they wouldn't get a rash). Buy some rash cream for babies in cloth diapers or use coconut oil since it doens't ruin the cloth diapers. WHen babies are being ONLY breastfed, the poop does NOT need to be rinsed, it is water soluble and comes off. 

If the diapers are in decent condition you can use them for another future child as I do, or even sell them on craigslist, online or through a friend. 

We live off of $25,000 with a family of 5. We breastfeed, cloth diaper, and still afford our home (we own), our new van (we own) and to go out and vacation (yearly). It is an adjustment but you will get by. We also make our own baby food, make freezer meals (especially just before our youngest was born), buy local foods and in season only. We research before doing big purchases such as furniture. We garage sale for upcoming school year for a ton of clothes, as well as our clothing. Craigslist DECENT furniture ( I won't buy anything upholstered due to possible bugs, etc), clothes, cloth diapers. You can make most if all gifts. Creativity, time and budget make the best things on earth :)

Message me if you need any help. And the only assitance we have is WIC.

corpswife523
by Krystal on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Yes it did! Although, I did just remember we're past due on about all of our bills.. I know my hubby won't let anything happen, but it's hard not to worry.

Thank you! 

Quoting Candie1015:

On the hubbie part all men tend to be less stressed then women especially when we are pregnant. Its when the hubby gets stressed that you need to start worrying. Also if he is stressed he probably isn't gonna show it. I know when mine is stressed he laughs everything off and pretends were ok but he always has subtle tells or he vents to his mom and they tell me. 2, 500 is what my hubby bring in working...sometimes less. He is the only one working atm and I am also 14 weeks. He is able to take care of all the bills, our 4 yr old, us, and we have already bought a couple of boxes of wipes and stuff. I hope this makes you feel better though

corpswife523
by Krystal on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Thanks for all the tips! You opened my eyes on some things and I'll start my googling right now. Thanks!

Quoting egrzesik91:

ANd using cloth diapers only for pee won't work. Babies unpredictably poop most of the time and usually poop every diaper change as a newborn and even further as you breastfeed. Buy Indian Prefolds and ALva baby covers. Then prep for washing them. You should get ECOS Free detergent and you can get it cheap at Walmart. Use the amount for a small load but the water on hot, and large load. Wash once, then dry on high heat. After dry wash again the same way (just to prep so they will soak well since they will not come like that). Save yourself the time, trouble and money by gently used prefolds. They are sanitized before you get them but just in case wash on hot water, small load amount of detergent, large load and double rinse. Then dry on high. Make sure you NEVER dry Alva Baby covers since they have elastic and it will break down. All in ones CAN NOT be sanitized so if the baby has any sickness or infection, it will reoccur. The elastic in all-in-ones will also break down, so paying $25 for ONE AIO diaper is not worth it whatsoever. 

google Alva Baby covers. They take a while to come in but they are cute, cheap and work great! 

I go through cotton babies for the Indian prefolds. I have also bought used and new from Jillians drawers. I would look into wool covers as well. Like 3 of them for when they get older around 8 months to a year. They keeo the baby dry as it wicks away moisture, they are antibacterial, have to be washed every few WEEKS, don't smell ever, and are MORE comfortable than anything. They are more pricey but they are worth it and keep the baby dry for overnight (though you would still double up the prefold but they wouldn't get a rash). Buy some rash cream for babies in cloth diapers or use coconut oil since it doens't ruin the cloth diapers. WHen babies are being ONLY breastfed, the poop does NOT need to be rinsed, it is water soluble and comes off. 

If the diapers are in decent condition you can use them for another future child as I do, or even sell them on craigslist, online or through a friend. 

We live off of $25,000 with a family of 5. We breastfeed, cloth diaper, and still afford our home (we own), our new van (we own) and to go out and vacation (yearly). It is an adjustment but you will get by. We also make our own baby food, make freezer meals (especially just before our youngest was born), buy local foods and in season only. We research before doing big purchases such as furniture. We garage sale for upcoming school year for a ton of clothes, as well as our clothing. Craigslist DECENT furniture ( I won't buy anything upholstered due to possible bugs, etc), clothes, cloth diapers. You can make most if all gifts. Creativity, time and budget make the best things on earth :)

Message me if you need any help. And the only assitance we have is WIC.

ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Close your eyes and feel the calm Mama. Things will work out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)