Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

why should i tip more because my food cost more?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies
Seriously. I think there should be a standard tipping dollar amount. If I.go into a restaurant & spend 1 hour with 2 adults & spend $100 & a family of 4.comes in & spends $50, why should we have to tip more? The waitress probably gave them more service than us or at the least equal service. Why is tipping based on how much I spend & not on something else. Its kinda unfair we have to tip.double for the same service just because we ordered a more expensive meal.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree. I tip based on service, not percentage. For instance, I went to Denny's last week for a quick lunch with my mom and 2 kids. The total came to $41. The place was pretty full. But the waitress made a point to keep checking on us, and when my autistic daughter threw a fit over her grilled cheese being cut in half, I was ready to take her to the car, but the waitress said she was so sorry. She made a mistake. She took it away and brought another uncut sandwich out in 2 minutes. When the kids ordered ice cream for desert, she asked my daughter exactly how she wanted it and waited patiently while she told her. When she came back with the check, I was on the floor picking up dropped French fries, and she told me to leave it. It was her job. A $41 bill, and the lovely waitress got a $20 tip. :-)

About a month ago, dh and I went to a local steakhouse. There were only 2 other couples there. We split a bottle of wine and an appetizer. Salad bar was included with our meal. We had our own entrees. He had a NY strip, I had grilled salmon. The appetizer came while we were at the salad bar, and was just left on our table. Our entrees came 8 minutes later. So, within 12 minutes of ordering, we had appetizers salads and entrees all served. We asked if they could take the food back and bring it out when we were done with our salads, and the waiter said no. It would dry out. I asked if he could just take our salads away and we would eat the hot food first and get new salad afterwards. He said no. Only one trip through the salad bar was allowed. So, i had fresh salad and cold salmon. Dh decided to have hot steak and soggy salad. We didn't see him again until 45 minutes later when he came back to offer desert. We declined. 30 minutes after that he came back with the check. $98. He got a $7 tip.
MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:11 PM
Exactly how that should have gone down. I honestly applaud you for that. Good service needs to be rewarded not obligated because of your check amount.

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree. I tip based on service, not percentage. For instance, I went to Denny's last week for a quick lunch with my mom and 2 kids. The total came to $41. The place was pretty full. But the waitress made a point to keep checking on us, and when my autistic daughter threw a fit over her grilled cheese being cut in half, I was ready to take her to the car, but the waitress said she was so sorry. She made a mistake. She took it away and brought another uncut sandwich out in 2 minutes. When the kids ordered ice cream for desert, she asked my daughter exactly how she wanted it and waited patiently while she told her. When she came back with the check, I was on the floor picking up dropped French fries, and she told me to leave it. It was her job. A $41 bill, and the lovely waitress got a $20 tip. :-)

About a month ago, dh and I went to a local steakhouse. There were only 2 other couples there. We split a bottle of wine and an appetizer. Salad bar was included with our meal. We had our own entrees. He had a NY strip, I had grilled salmon. The appetizer came while we were at the salad bar, and was just left on our table. Our entrees came 8 minutes later. So, within 12 minutes of ordering, we had appetizers salads and entrees all served. We asked if they could take the food back and bring it out when we were done with our salads, and the waiter said no. It would dry out. I asked if he could just take our salads away and we would eat the hot food first and get new salad afterwards. He said no. Only one trip through the salad bar was allowed. So, i had fresh salad and cold salmon. Dh decided to have hot steak and soggy salad. We didn't see him again until 45 minutes later when he came back to offer desert. We declined. 30 minutes after that he came back with the check. $98. He got a $7 tip.

aj_mom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:31 PM

I tip based on service.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:38 PM
Ok it seems that I've been tipping wrong. I normally tip 15% for average service & 20 for excellent service. It just struck me as odd that I'd have to tip more for the same service just because we ordered steak vs the next tables salad.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:42 PM
I am a waitress in Massachusetts and tipping based on service should be in consideration.

But put in mind I make $2.63 an hour and get taxed on 10% of my sales. I also have to tip out a hostess, busboy, food runner & bartender at the end of my shift also based on my sales.

I am by no means saying seriously awful service should be tipped on amount of the check, that is when service standards should be considered. And maybe a call to management..

But just because you feel your $200 check should receive the same tip as a $100 when the service is fine is unfair. The more me sell the more we make. This is how we make our living.

And of course above and beyond service deserves a few extra $$ if the went the extra 'mile'.

I have been in the service industry for 22 years; hostess, bartender, supervisor & server.
It's not easy. I enjoy it and have been in restaurant for 17 years. I have seen it all, both sides customers and other waitstaff - I can't believe half the waitstaff I have encountered ever passed the interview process!!!
psych_mom
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:42 PM

We tip based on service. If we get excellent service the wait person gets a great tip. If they leave us waiting and waiting, they get a lower tip. The other night we went out with my mom, the waitress kept us waiting for everything, even to take our payment. She dropped our tickets off and came back 10-15 minutes later to get our payment and we were done with our food when she dropped the tickets off. My time is valuable and I don't like having to be kept waiting for long amounts of time when it isn't needed. She got a decent tip, but it would have been a few more dollars if she wouldn't have made us wait for everything.

Rbrown72707
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:43 PM

You choose how much you are going to tip.  The percentage is just a suggestion.  I tip better for good service, but I always try to leave a tip.  The percentage is a guideline not a rule.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 25, 2013 at 6:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Not that's not how you should make your living.That 4 person couple got more refills, had more plates carried to their table, have more mess to clean up, & etc (this is usually) you do more work for them than me. Just because I order an expensive bottle of wine should mean I have to tip you $20 for bringing 2 glasses & opening the bottle. That other family made you work 10xs as hard but when they leave their $10 tip for 4.people (avg $2.50 per person) you're happy. But you want me to leave $20 ($10 per person)??

There are many states that pay waitresses min wage. 10 pay at least $5.25 or more with most of them pay min wage. In these states waitresses demanded better wages. Why should we feel obligated to drop a $20 or $30 tip just because the waitresses in some states won't fight for better treatment?

You speak of fair...how is tipping based on the check instead of the # of people at the table fair to the customers? Maybe a $3 - 5 per person tip would be fairer to all involved.

Quoting Anonymous:

I am a waitress in Massachusetts and tipping based on service should be in consideration.

But put in mind I make $2.63 an hour and get taxed on 10% of my sales. I also have to tip out a hostess, busboy, food runner & bartender at the end of my shift also based on my sales.

I am by no means saying seriously awful service should be tipped on amount of the check, that is when service standards should be considered. And maybe a call to management..

But just because you feel your $200 check should receive the same tip as a $100 when the service is fine is unfair. The more me sell the more we make. This is how we make our living.

And of course above and beyond service deserves a few extra $$ if the went the extra 'mile'.

I have been in the service industry for 22 years; hostess, bartender, supervisor & server.

It's not easy. I enjoy it and have been in restaurant for 17 years. I have seen it all, both sides customers and other waitstaff - I can't believe half the waitstaff I have encountered ever passed the interview process!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:37 AM
Massachusetts has been fighting for a fairer minimum wage, for years.

My point of the post was to let people know we get taxed according to our sales.

As far as the government cares we should be taking home atleast 10% of our sales. Also having to tip out the rest of the staff...hostess & busboys who help clean the tables and reset the tables, (so a larger party making a mess is something we actually kind of pay for ) food runners to help deliver the larger parties food or any tables food if we ( so again we pay for this assistance of helping with our tables) and the bartender making alcohol drinks ( even if I don't actually sell much in alcohol the base tipping is the same - a % of my sales)

Everything about our job is according to sales. Not the amount of people we serve. No mater what state you live in.

Quoting Anonymous:

Not that's not how you should make your living.That 4 person couple got more refills, had more plates carried to their table, have more mess to clean up, & etc (this is usually) you do more work for them than me. Just because I order an expensive bottle of wine should mean I have to tip you $20 for bringing 2 glasses & opening the bottle. That other family made you work 10xs as hard but when they leave their $10 tip for 4.people (avg $2.50 per person) you're happy. But you want me to leave $20 ($10 per person)??

There are many states that pay waitresses min wage. 10 pay at least $5.25 or more with most of them pay min wage. In these states waitresses demanded better wages. Why should we feel obligated to drop a $20 or $30 tip just because the waitresses in some states won't fight for better treatment?

You speak of fair...how is tipping based on the check instead of the # of people at the table fair to the customers? Maybe a $3 - 5 per person tip would be fairer to all involved.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)