Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Vent

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 2 Replies

I would like to begin by saying that in no way am I against homeschooling.  I believe it is a right for every parent to educate their children the way they see fit.  Also, I have a toddler with a genetic condition, so we may have to home school depending on how healthy he is when he is older.  However, I do send my older child to a public elementary school where my husband is involved in the administration.  I am also a high school teacher for a different public school system.  I need to vent because there is a huge trend toward homeschooling at my church.  This should be no problem, again, I'm 100% supportive of people's right to make that choice, but the families who are doing it are being so PUSHY about it right now!  I thought that some of them were just being vocal because they are so passionate about it but I stumbled upon one of the homeschooling moms at our church trying to talk a family who is new in our town into homeschooling instead of sending their children to our schools here.  I heard her criticizing the schools that she never even considered sending her kids to!  Mind you, we have great schools, one of which had the 4th highest ACT scores in our state!  I can't help but be a little hurt when these women are allowed to talk all kinds of smack about public schools and how terrible the teachers are but we can't say a word about their choice to homeschool despite their lack of any formal education.  I'm also tired of being made to feel that I'm less of a Christian because I work and send my children to public schools.  I work in a very poor school system and my job is part of my "ministry".  I have gone thousands of dollars in debt to gain a degree to go into a career that pays very little and is so very often criticized.  I go to trainings and continue my education for people to say that although they have no more than a high school degree, they can do a much better job.  I'm very frustrated about this and I just had to get it out!            

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:53 AM
2 moms liked this
You should tell them Jesus said not to judge.
fostermommy1
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:32 AM

As a high school teacher I always want to know why people choose to homeschool.  Not so I can judge, but so I can better my teaching, knowing why people are so anti-public school.  Most teachers work very hard to do what is in the best interest of students, so some of the reasons are a bit of a slap in the face.  I have a couple friends who home school, one won't tell me why and the other didn't like the direction her local school was going in terms of curriculum.  She's the one I'm least worried about, she was an elementary school teacher for several years, she has the skills (and her kids choose to wear their old Catholic school uniforms during their "school" hours).  It's a very interesting topic.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)