Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wrongful Termination

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 43 Replies

Have you ever been wrongly Terminated or known someone who was wrongly terminated from a job?

What was the outcome? meaning Did you or the person you know that it happened to get justice in the end.

If you were terminate for cause what was the managers excuse?

Have you been a victim of workplace bullying before and felt not included in the crowd?

How did you handle that abuse? Did it help or in the end were you retaliated against for reporting the mistreatment? What was the outcome of that?

Sorry ladies for all these questions but I am shaking right now. It's only been two days since I was wronfully terminated from my job but I'm still in absolute shock, I'm literally breaking down inside, and feel totally dehumanized and devalued as a person.

What I believe was the main reason that led up to my termination was over a period of the three months i was with the company I filed a Discrimination suit against them for the harassment and mistreatment and bullying I was getting almost on a daily work shift. Before I went and complained to the EEOC, I made efforts to first go through Management and the HR department and even had to endure a three way conversation between myself, my former boss and HR on the phone which that conversation didn't go anywhere and I remember leaving that particular incident feeling even more worse than I had already since both my Former Boss and Human Resources stated those people causing me distress wasn't doing anything wrong and my concerns about a hostile work environment were invalid compaints according to them. So I had no choice but to inact my rights and go to the EEOC.

The day I was let go from the company was a shock and I wasn't expecting it and had no even warning it was going to happen other than a co worker giving me heads up that these losers were going to have my head more than likely for doing what I did.

I feel so violated right now :(

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mammacra
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Yikes!  Sry seems to me you have a lawsuit!  A friend of mine got wrongfully terminated from her job because she was missing too much work!  Get this she was doing chemo & radiation!  And she was using sick days & paid time off days that she accrued!  They fired her she's in the ma Supreme Court fighting the town in which she was fired from & she's going to win!  Also the superintendent of schools that fired her knew she had cancer & knew it was wrong to fire her!  And his family had been now stalking her slashing her tires making threatening phone calls giving horrible job referrals!  It's ok cuz everything they have been doing is being recorded by a pi!

psych_mom
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:46 PM

You have to prove that you were wrongfully terminated, which isn't fun:( . Sorry you lost your job and are having to go through all this. I have only been laid off due to the economy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:54 PM

I have worked in 3 hostile environments.  I walked out of 2 of them after going to the higher ups to resolve the issues.  The 3rd I went to the office manager and let her know what was happening.  The issue was that my life had been threatened on more than one occasion over a chair....yep, a chair.  BTW this was the same girl that caused problems in another office I worked in and I explained this to the manager at the new practice.  I eventually found another job and left the situation.  There wasn't anything they would do b/c they didn't want it to look like discrimination because she was black.  Seriously, they were going to let a damn good employee go b/c they didn't want her to play the "race card".  I found a job and let them know that I was leaving due to a hostile work environment and worked out my 2 weeks.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:59 PM

I'm sorry your friend was subject to that kinda mistreatment and abuse from her former employer which ultimately lead to her dismissal that is awful and crued of the people that did that to her. It's also good that the harassment that is happening is being recorded. Make sure you all get everything as far as proof goes for sure.

The way your friends former employer and his family is treating her is deplorable and Sick and only makes them look like a bunch of Low Life Trash. Also as far as your friend goes I truly hope she wins her lawsuit case against these people and I hope she wins that horrible battle of cancer and lives a long life.

Quoting Mammacra:

Yikes!  Sry seems to me you have a lawsuit!  A friend of mine got wrongfully terminated from her job because she was missing too much work!  Get this she was doing chemo & radiation!  And she was using sick days & paid time off days that she accrued!  They fired her she's in the ma Supreme Court fighting the town in which she was fired from & she's going to win!  Also the superintendent of schools that fired her knew she had cancer & knew it was wrong to fire her!  And his family had been now stalking her slashing her tires making threatening phone calls giving horrible job referrals!  It's ok cuz everything they have been doing is being recorded by a pi!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:05 PM

I'm so sorry you've been also in three hostile work environments and then they were going to stoop to a all time low and possibly of let you go because they didn't want the race card being thrown at them. OUCH! that is awful. On the lighter side congrats for getting a new job and I hope it works out for you and I hope it turns out to be a much better fit. The last two weeks must of been a nightmare on you at that awful place you worked at and I'm sure because you made the claims you did to them which mind you hun you did the right thing but I can only imagine the harshness they probably caused you even though you quit. It's not right that you had to even quit in the first place that's not fair to you but I hope in the end Karma gets your old employer too and they pay the price for their actions. Evil can't prevail atleast I hope it doesn't.

Quoting Anonymous:

I have worked in 3 hostile environments.  I walked out of 2 of them after going to the higher ups to resolve the issues.  The 3rd I went to the office manager and let her know what was happening.  The issue was that my life had been threatened on more than one occasion over a chair....yep, a chair.  BTW this was the same girl that caused problems in another office I worked in and I explained this to the manager at the new practice.  I eventually found another job and left the situation.  There wasn't anything they would do b/c they didn't want it to look like discrimination because she was black.  Seriously, they were going to let a damn good employee go b/c they didn't want her to play the "race card".  I found a job and let them know that I was leaving due to a hostile work environment and worked out my 2 weeks.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:08 PM

That last one happened about 7 years ago.  I have worked for a couple of companys since then.  I currently LOVE my job and the fact that I get to be home.  I work for a close family friend and the worst I have had to deal with was my boss calling me and asking me what I was wearing.....this was a joke from him.  He then asked me to come back to work for their company since business was picking up.  They had to lay me off year before that.  I was SO GLAD they hired me back.  I love them dearly.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm so sorry you've been also in three hostile work environments and then they were going to stoop to a all time low and possibly of let you go because they didn't want the race card being thrown at them. OUCH! that is awful. On the lighter side congrats for getting a new job and I hope it works out for you and I hope it turns out to be a much better fit. The last two weeks must of been a nightmare on you at that awful place you worked at and I'm sure because you made the claims you did to them which mind you hun you did the right thing but I can only imagine the harshness they probably caused you even though you quit. It's not right that you had to even quit in the first place that's not fair to you but I hope in the end Karma gets your old employer too and they pay the price for their actions. Evil can't prevail atleast I hope it doesn't.

Quoting Anonymous:

Alexsi1
by Alexandra on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Dh went through a hostile work situation 5 years ago. Long story short he worked for a family owned company and after making one mistake that was easily correctible they made his life a living hell. They demoted him then started cutting his hours. After his boss cut his hours to just 16 a week DH filed for partial unemployment. His boss got a phone call verifying his hours being cut and  bumped DH to just 24 hours. The supervisors of the owners stayed on his case constantly. It was hard but this was in 2008 and there was just noone hiring. He stuck it out for a year until his current job came along. He didn't give them a notice and on his way out the door told his boss exactly what he thought about her. After he left he did file a complaint to our state labor board but he never heard anything back.

I'm sorry this is happening to you.

MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:17 PM
Please bear in mind I do not mean to invalidate your pain. See my screen name? I used to run Taco Bell restaurants before I was terminated for a score of very dubious reasons covering up less savory ones. But a lawsuit is absolutely useless for you.

Say you have a lawyer. They are getting paid somehow and the only way they are going to take you on a pro-bono (% base) is if they are very sure they have a shot at winning. You may find one like that, but it is not likely. Why? The company you are suing has several lawyers on retainer and will drag out the process for a LONG, LONG, LONG, LONG, LOOOONG time. I was fired in Oct '09. In Dec '09 a team member of mine hurt herself at work. She sued. They dragged it out till January of 2013. And she got so little it wasn't worth the effort.

My best advice is to move on with life. Shed the poison of that place and go look for a new job. Wait for the EEOC to get to your file and go from there if you want.

It's been almost 4 years since I got my career stolen from me and I still long for it. The pain of being fired doesn't go away, but it lessens.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:20 PM

I agree it wont be easy but it will be worth the fight. I can't tell ya how much emotional distress I've been dealing with since my dismissal and everytime I think I'm starting to feel better and at some peace I start shaking and crying again.  I didn't see this happening as fast as it did. I knew I was having trouble with some people, as well as not fitting in and made some mistakes during my probationary period but I always had gotten talked to about it and I thought that was it and it was over and done with. In fact you know that three way meeting I talked about in the post? Well the night before this meeting was supposed to take place the boss had called me at work and I asked numerous times during that meeting if I was in some kinda trouble and my former boss reassured me more than once that NO I wasn't and that the only way I would ever get fired was if I did something serious enough to cause the termination. Keep in mind, this meeting wasn't the termination hearing but I just wanted to verify what I'm talking about when I mention this. Well anyway, like I also mentioned is that the meeting during that certain day was a waste of time in the end and I was made out to feel that my concerns were not legitimate enough.

I had made one bad mistake which was a bit serious months ago but if it was such a big deal on that certain event than I should've been dismissed that day. In fact the night of that event I actually had sent a letter of resignation and came to return my badge the next day but my boss had a conversation with me to not make hasty decisions we had a talk and at that time I had gotten my job back. Also during that particular incident that night It had happened that bad incident I was demoralized and treated like crap from the supervisor on duty for my mistake and the reason at that time I had originally chose to resign was to basically resign rather than possibly get fired. Well I remember the day after the boss had a three way conversation with me and that abusive supervisor and things were fine. So to make a long story short the reason I'm calling the final termination a wrongful termination which was three months after the matter is because I started getting even worse treatement after going to the EEOC and low and behold the day after my conversation with the EEOC is when I was officially terminated and that is very questionable right there. I know they were Pssed off for what I did by doing what I had to do.

Quoting psych_mom:

You have to prove that you were wrongfully terminated, which isn't fun:( . Sorry you lost your job and are having to go through all this. I have only been laid off due to the economy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Sorry your DH went through this hostile work situation as well that's awful. His situation reminds me so much of what I went through as the people I worked around made my life a living hell for the three months. Also they did it cause I said something to the supervisor she didn't like and they are all work buddies which was obbviously my mistake but I don't feel bad for sticking up for myself. I wont let anyone walk all over me and no one ever should let anyone treat them badly. I'm sure the stress on your DH job they were causing him put stress on your marriage which wasn't your two fault but I know how that can go if it did. :(

Ty for the support and condolences it means alot and helps to know I have some that care. I'm certainly even on Facebook finding out who my real friends are at this hard time in my life. Anyway, I hope since then your DH has found a job that fullfills him and makes him happy. I hope he and many others like me never have to go through something that harsh again.

Quoting Alexsi1:

Dh went through a hostile work situation 5 years ago. Long story short he worked for a family owned company and after making one mistake that was easily correctible they made his life a living hell. They demoted him then started cutting his hours. After his boss cut his hours to just 16 a week DH filed for partial unemployment. His boss got a phone call verifying his hours being cut and  bumped DH to just 24 hours. The supervisors of the owners stayed on his case constantly. It was hard but this was in 2008 and there was just noone hiring. He stuck it out for a year until his current job came along. He didn't give them a notice and on his way out the door told his boss exactly what he thought about her. After he left he did file a complaint to our state labor board but he never heard anything back.

I'm sorry this is happening to you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)