Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

my child will earn his keep!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies

So my ds will be 2 in about a month. for about 6 months now he has started helping me do things when we are home together. He throws little pieces of trash away like wrappers or paper. He helps me put all the dirty laundry in baskets and he sometimes will stand on a chair and help me "wash" the dishes. Well my MIL heard this( she lives out of town) and felt that she needed to talk to me about this bc having a baby doing house work is just horrible and there are child labor laws for a reason!! i explained idk where you heard this stuff but yes he helps me and he loves doing it. If he doesnt want to or has no intrest right now at his age i dont make him. He now will pick up his empty plate and put in the sink on his own. He throws his napkin away after meals and aafter his baths he picks up his own dirty clothes and throws them in the dirty clothes basket. ON HIS OWN. It is never too young to learn responsiblity and i really dont think i am doing anything wrong and she needs to remember i live with one of her children and maybe she should of thought about doing some of this stuff when he was younger!!!! ;p Well she wont let it go and she thinks im just awful now. Well i think i do nothing wrong...or is this too young to be helping mom around the house??

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 27, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:15 PM
2 moms liked this

Sounds like you're an awesome lady and your toddler is amazing! You will never satisfy your MIL when it comes to 'the baby'. I had my little one helping with clean up. Not to your extent but I wish I would've taught him early on. Tell her that you're into child workers and can't wait to have a ton of kids to add to your cleaning crew. Screw her. She's jealous. 

villagemamma
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:20 PM

psh. no way. my dd started helping me while still in diapers. its awesome to get them started early. cleaning up after ones self is a part of life just like wiping your own butt and feeding yourself. No child has ever died from picking up random scraps of paper and being allowed to feel helpful to mommy. infact my 4 year old acts like it is a reward to get to help with laundry or dishes.

mysticalmalissa
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 12:31 AM

My boys always did "common sense cleaning".  I never had to make them do anything, they learned by example.

If your son is enjoying what he is doing, let him keep on doing!

Ms_mom_81
by Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 1:01 AM

I say, good job!

catevincesmom
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Sounds like you're doing fine.  :-)

catrig
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 1:11 PM

lol@mil

katemckenzie
by Banana Hands on Jul. 28, 2013 at 2:02 PM

You sound great. MIL sounds like an idiot.
DS is two, and LOVES sweeping the floors, putting away the grocery bags, taking care of trash and dishes, and he's in charge of washing the walls after he colors on them with chalk. 

RachelBy
by Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 4:04 PM
My daughter just turned 2 and she throws away garbage, puts her plate in the sink, cleans up her toys and "helps put laundry away" as well lol I think it's wonderful! The earlier they start the better I think, this way it is normal not so much of a chore but expected.
nana-to-9
by Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 4:16 PM

You are doing fine mama!

MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Jul. 28, 2013 at 5:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I so wish my mil had made dh do that stuff. He's 30 and still doesn't.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN