Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

my child will earn his keep!!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

So my ds will be 2 in about a month. for about 6 months now he has started helping me do things when we are home together. He throws little pieces of trash away like wrappers or paper. He helps me put all the dirty laundry in baskets and he sometimes will stand on a chair and help me "wash" the dishes. Well my MIL heard this( she lives out of town) and felt that she needed to talk to me about this bc having a baby doing house work is just horrible and there are child labor laws for a reason!! i explained idk where you heard this stuff but yes he helps me and he loves doing it. If he doesnt want to or has no intrest right now at his age i dont make him. He now will pick up his empty plate and put in the sink on his own. He throws his napkin away after meals and aafter his baths he picks up his own dirty clothes and throws them in the dirty clothes basket. ON HIS OWN. It is never too young to learn responsiblity and i really dont think i am doing anything wrong and she needs to remember i live with one of her children and maybe she should of thought about doing some of this stuff when he was younger!!!! ;p Well she wont let it go and she thinks im just awful now. Well i think i do nothing wrong...or is this too young to be helping mom around the house??

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 27, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Replies (11-14):
rebeccasmly
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 6:23 PM
My kids also learned how to do household chores at a young age. Now as teens I don't have to worry about them not helping or stepping up when I can't get to something. I am sure they will carry those skills when they move into their own places. I see nothing wrong with teaching them how to help around the house. My boys love to cook too.
CampClan
by Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 8:54 PM

I completely agree with you! Nothing more important than teaching them manners & respect at a young age! You are teaching your child to be responsible not only for himself but for the world around him. Today it may just be throwing his trash away but tomorrow it could be picking up that empty pop can & tossing it in the recycle bin!

Red783
by New Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 10:53 PM

I think that is great and you are setting a great example!!! Good job!

Karopie_99
by Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 8:45 AM
I do that too! My 22 month old loves to sweep! Even though the floor doesnt end up clean. But hey she's trying and learning! She picks up toys and puts them away, she also puts any garbage (from snacks) in the diningroom table. The garbage can in in the kitchen and baby gated! My 5yr old helps make beds, picks up her room, vaccums and does other little chores around the house. I don't force them, but they want to help and learn. Which is a great skill for later on in life. The older they get, the more they will learn. Eventually I won't have to clean anymore LOL (one can only hope right!?!)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN