Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

4-Month-Old Baby Left in Hot Car Overnight Dies After Being Discovered the Next Afternoon?!

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:21 AM
  • 406 Replies
10 moms liked this

4-Month-Old Baby Left in Hot Car Overnight Dies After Being Discovered the Next Afternoon

by Sasha Brown-Worsham

4-month-old baby left overnightParents in California have been arrested after they left their 4-month-old baby to die OVERNIGHT in a hot car. It is the kind of story that just surpasses any other baby left in hot car story I have ever heard. How does someone leave a child this young overnight and not realize it until 1:30 PM the next day? 

Parents Israel Soto, 30, and Jessica Quezada, 23, were both arrested and their 3 other children -- ages 3, 2, and 1 -- were taken by the county. Look, having four children under three has to be unimaginably stressful and hard, especially when a person is only 23 years old. I am sure they were getting very little sleep and probably had children coming at them nearly constantly. But that is no excuse.

In many of these cases like this, I have some empathy for the parents. It is not that hard to imagine how one might forget a child is in the back of the car when a person is stressed or off their routine or has not been sleeping at all. But this one? My God. How do you forget a 4-month-old in the car OVERNIGHT?

A few years ago, there was a very powerful piece in The Washington Post about otherwise very good parents who accidentally forgot their children in the back of cars. Anyone with a heart would have it go out to these parents whose guilt and shame and disbelief were almost unbearable to read about. But this? Is not the same thing.

I have had two 4-month-olds and I am soon to have a third. They are nearly constantly in need, especially at night. They are still (most likely) not sleeping through the night and even if they are, they would go to bed needing to be fed and wake up early needing the same thing. How do you not notice that is happening? It sounds like there is some suspicion drugs were involved and that might explain some things.

But as parents, don't you wonder where your baby is? In the morning don't you rush to the crib to see why they did not wake you up? The baby was discovered at 1:30 PM the next day, which means he was out there, dying, for God knows how long. It is sickening. Now the other three kids have been taken from their parents and let's hope these parents either get the help they so clearly need or allow their children to be adopted by parents who can love and care for them in the right way.

This is just wrong beyond belief.

Do you understand how this could possibly have happened?

by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aj_mom
by Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:53 AM
18 moms liked this

I just read this earlier. How sad. How does neither parent realize their baby isn't inside. May that little angel rest in peace.

anotherhalf
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:55 AM
35 moms liked this
The only way I can understand it happening is if they were on drugs or drunk.
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I can not understand both parents not noticing and for such a long period of time. Awful.

psych_mom
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:58 AM
12 moms liked this

I had three kids under 4. I would have noticed if my baby was missing. There was no way I could have left her in the car for hours and not have noticed. Something had to have been up.

kjc143
by Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:38 PM
3 moms liked this

Maybe they thought they dropped her off at the grandparents or something? That's the best I can come up with.

numba_1_stunna
by Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:40 PM
70 moms liked this

This was not forgetting, this was getting rid of the baby and trying to make it look like and accident.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:41 PM
17 moms liked this

My guess drugs and or alcohol was involved. No way you would not know your INFANT wasnt in the home let alone not knowing until 1:30 the next day. I hope they never get their other children back

macbudsmom
by Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this

How very very sad. 

MamaFLgurl
by New Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:50 PM
8 moms liked this

Yep they murdered their baby on purpose 100%

Quoting numba_1_stunna:

This was not forgetting, this was getting rid of the baby and trying to make it look like and accident.

babie113
by Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:51 PM
2 moms liked this

i dont understand that i agree drugs/alcohol had to be involved .or it was on purpose

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)