Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Ugh! Just because I'm a mom doesn't mean I have to be frumpy!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 82 Replies

Recently my family and I attended a function for the athletic club at the kids' school. We were told to dress in dressy casual attire, so we girls wore dresses and the guys wore slacks and nice shirts. We get there and about half the folks who came were in jeans and t-shirts, some of the women wearing shorty shorts and tank tops. I didn't think anything of it since it was our first time at one of these things, but we did all feel pretty overdressed for the thing.

As we're filing through the line for the buffet, this woman hisses, "I can't believe she's wearing that! She's a MOM now! She should dress like one and cover up." I turned around and asked who she was talking about and she narrowed her eyes and said me. I was like, "Me? What's wrong with this?"

Is this an inappropriate dress for a dressy casual function with parents and kids?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Jul. 29, 2013 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this
What are you not covering up? I'm a prude and I find it quite appropriate lol.
v2011
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I think that is totally appropriate.  Was it a very old lady?  

phoenixhuntress
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this

That is a nice outfit & am kind of wishing I had one like it!  May I ask where you found it?

No being a "mom" doesn't require you to "frump up" (or would that be down??? hmmmm???).  I find that when women say this it's because they feel inadequate about themselves & feel the need to bring others down to their level.  

furbabymum
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this

How dare you show them up. I bet you made them feel like under dressed trash! Good for you!!

momto3nuts
by Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Ladies can be so snarky to people they are jealous of. That is a very appropriate outfit. I would have been rocking the khakis and a polo myself, but to each their own.

GMom2011
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 2:01 PM
4 moms liked this
Wow, she had some nerve! What was she wearing? And how exactly, is a mom supposed to dress? I didn't get a uniform when I gave birth. Did anyone?
JanuaryBaby06
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 2:03 PM

not at all. sounds ore like a weird form of jealosy

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 29, 2013 at 2:03 PM
Is that what you really was wearing?

Quoting Anonymous:

Recently my family and I attended a function for the athletic club at the kids' school. We were told to dress in dressy casual attire, so we girls wore dresses and the guys wore slacks and nice shirts. We get there and about half the folks who came were in jeans and t-shirts, some of the women wearing shorty shorts and tank tops. I didn't think anything of it since it was our first time at one of these things, but we did all feel pretty overdressed for the thing.

As we're filing through the line for the buffet, this woman hisses, "I can't believe she's wearing that! She's a MOM now! She should dress like one and cover up." I turned around and asked who she was talking about and she narrowed her eyes and said me. I was like, "Me? What's wrong with this?"

Is this an inappropriate dress for a dressy casual function with parents and kids?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 29, 2013 at 2:05 PM

That was my question? LOL. I'm a busty girl but they're totally covered in that dress and it fit well, not too tight or anything, either.

Quoting MissTacoBell:

What are you not covering up? I'm a prude and I find it quite appropriate lol.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 29, 2013 at 2:05 PM

No, she was in her early 40s.

Quoting v2011:

I think that is totally appropriate.  Was it a very old lady?  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)