• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vent..Other Parents in school

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies

Hi everyone!

I am new to this group so please bear with my long story because I really need advice and its been bothering me the entire day..so here it goes..

I need your adivce about something that for the first time, I had an argument with another mom in my son's school camp.

My 6 year old son goes to summer camp in his school and it was reported to me by their group leader that one of his co-camper's mom scolded my son because allegedly my son and another boy were mean to her son and allegedly hit him. This was denied by the group leaders in camp. In fact, they find it hard to believe that my son will do such a thing because according to them, my son is one of the sweetest boys in their group. Plus, my son knows that hitting is not acceptable. They saw this mom pointing her finger at him and they immediately interrupted the incident and asked what happened. When they were trying to talk to her, she just walked away.  The group leader told me that my son was upset and was crying that day and they had to make extra effort for him to forget what happened and made that day extra fun for him, hence, my son forgot about it and did not mention it to when he came home.

So, when it was reported to me, I waited until I calmed myself down before I talked to her because I didnt want to have an argument with her, I think that's the adult way to do it, but she got so defensive to the point that she was questioning or insulting my son. Who in their right mind would talk to a 6 year old and yell at him like that? Its a fight between kids, all we have to do as parents is talk to our children. In short, it went from bad to worse and we just had to hang up. I never really wanted this to happen in the first place, the reason I called her was to tell her that if she has a concern regarding someone or my kid for that matter, she should have talked to the group leader so it can be addressed to me and I will be the one to discipline my son, not her. Better yet, she should have called me directly because they had playdates before and she knows my number. I just did not appreciate that she had to scold my son like that. I did talk to my son about it and he told me that he did not hit him, but confessed that him and another boy told her son that they did not want to play with him. 

Anyway, thank you everyone for reading this long story. I just really need an outlet to vent. All opinions (be it negative or positive) are appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:06 PM
I'd remind her that you can file assault charges if she approaches your child again. When you put a person in fear of battery that's assault. Which is why one does not approach other people's kids.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:36 PM

I will inform a kid in a hot second and make sure others saw and heard me if that child was being mean to mine and I saw it. I
m not gonna sit back and wait and watch that crap. But i wouldnt do it inapropriately but i would be firm. I would sit down and  talk to your son about it. Im not saying your kid is at fault but you need to make sure because kids will surprise you. Honestly you have to be there and see it to know if it was true or not. But no, if she was being innapropriate and the group leaders heard it and saw it then yeah i would be pissed. 

rebeccasmly
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I can understand wanting to defend your child if other children are being mean to yours but there is a correct way to handle it. She did not handle it right. You also need to make sure you have the right child that is being mean. Did your son say why him and his friends didn't want to play with the lady's son? If I had my guess, it would be that boy is not very nice to the kids if his mother's behavior is any indication.
psych_mom
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that the camp leaders had already handled it well and I wouldn't have said anything. She knows they are watching her so she won't repeat the behavior. Your son wasn't scared for life from it- he didn't even tell you about it, so it didn't even affect him in the short term all that much. As parents our first instinct is to attach those that do anything that goes against our beliefs or parenting when it comes to our children, but we also have to realize that our children need to learn that there are always going to be people like this out there and we have one of two choices- A) we can react the way she did to him and you did to her or B) we can let it roll of our backs and go on about our business. Do you want a child that is going to grow up to let everything bother them or that is going to grow up and be more relaxed in life?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 1, 2013 at 7:57 AM
Can I really file charges? Come to think of it, you maybe right, she put fear on my son and the leaders in camp saw it happened and they made sure he's happy that day because he was scared amd crying. She was even accusing my son of hitting her son several times. My son is not a bad kid, I know him and he knows he is not suppose to hit, if this is true there should be several reports made to me or the group leader, other kids, and teachers in school (they go to the same school and same grade) would have seen this. Can her kid be overreacting too or just being overly sensitive? I'm battling if I need to talk to the mom of the other kid whom she is accusing also of being mean to her kid.

Anyway, thanks for your opinion.

Quoting MissTacoBell:

I'd remind her that you can file assault charges if she approaches your child again. When you put a person in fear of battery that's assault. Which is why one does not approach other people's kids.

Perle1
by Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:17 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

I will inform a kid in a hot second and make sure others saw and heard me if that child was being mean to mine and I saw it. Im not gonna sit back and wait and watch that crap. But i wouldnt do it inapropriately but i would be firm. I would sit down and  talk to your son about it. Im not saying your kid is at fault but you need to make sure because kids will surprise you. Honestly you have to be there and see it to know if it was true or not. But no, if she was being innapropriate and the group leaders heard it and saw it then yeah i would be pissed. 

Agreed.
mommyalphawolf
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 2:01 PM
How is saying you don't want to play with someone being mean? They aren't allowed to choose who they play with?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)