Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Cruel Daycare Workers Post Pictures Mocking Kids Online?!

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 8:29 AM
  • 18 Replies

Cruel Daycare Workers Post Pictures Mocking Kids Online (VIDEO)

by Julie Ryan Evans

mater from carsThere are definitely daycare horror stories of abuse and dangerous decisions made by staff that send chills down our spines, but for the most part those are isolated incidents that make headlines because they're so outrageous. It's the smaller, less noticeable things people in charge of children do of which we may never be aware that worry me even more.

Take this case out of Virginia in which two workers at Heavenly Haven daycare center have been fired after pictures of children were posted on Instagram with cruel remarks. According to WAVY, mom Melissa Jordan was browsing online when she was shocked to see a picture of her 3-year-old son Ethan sitting in a high chair. In it, he looks sad and despondent. Across the picture employee Jena Ferrel, who went by the user name "mz_oneofakind," wrote: "I'm sick of this SHIT."

Jordan was understandably shocked and upset. She told the station:

I don't know why he is sitting in a highchair at 3 years old. I don't know how long he's been in the highchair. He looks so pathetic and miserable. He looks so defeated in that picture.

As if that wasn't bad enough, the manager of the facility left a comment on Ethan's photo that read: "he is thinking cuz sure can't talk." His mother says Ethan has delayed speech development so this was likely a crack about that.

I was disgusted, and my feelings were hurt because they are making fun of Ethan because he isn't able to talk. They are making a joke out of him.

Ferrel also reportedly posted another picture of a child that compared his teeth to those of Mater in the movie Cars.

As horrid as the pictures are -- really, who thinks it's okay to do that? -- it's more disturbing to think what really went on in the daycare. If you're mean enough to mock a child online, how do you treat them in real life, and why was that 3-year-old in a high chair? Was he there regularly? What else has gone on that wasn't captured in pictures?

While it's vile that these children were made fun of in a public forum, the good news is that at least it alerted parents to what may have been going on when their children were out of their sight. An investigation has been launched, and hopefully action will be taken.

Do you worry about what goes on when your child is in the care of others?

by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 8:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pixiesmom2
by New Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 8:41 AM

OMG!  That's horrible.  People can be such asses some times!!

mysticalmalissa
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 8:48 AM
2 moms liked this

I am generally not a violent person but I have a feeling I would need to find someone to pay my bail if this had happened to my son.

Alexsi1
by Alexandra on Aug. 20, 2013 at 8:58 AM

I hope that daycare gets shut down.  

kjc143
by Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:15 AM

I just encourage everyone to make relationship building a part of their experience with daycare.  I worry, but I'm lucky enough to trust the people that care for my little one.  I stick around enough to see their character and will show up from time to time whether they know I'm coming or not.  I've not once been this disturbed by the way she's being treated.  But, anything I've disagreed with...we just discuss.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 20, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Just say no to public/welfare childcare.
kerryket
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 3:05 PM
Yes, it has always been a concern, my son had a speech delay and we had a situation with a new provider, I went to pick him up and his body language was quite clear, he was terrified of the employee he was with and I had no way to find out what happened, but he never went back. This person interviewed did nothing to convince me that this childcare center should continue to stay in business.
catrig
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 3:50 PM

That is not ok.

Yogamom08
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 3:53 PM
I am so grateful I am able to stay home. I couldn't imagine leaving my kids.
Numom61507
by Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 4:02 PM

I'd gladly pay it because I would do the same damn thing! That is a horrible way to treat another human being..

Quoting mysticalmalissa:

I am generally not a violent person but I have a feeling I would need to find someone to pay my bail if this had happened to my son.

mistressflora
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 4:17 PM

yes, this is why i have such a hard time leaving my kids with anyone other than my father or MIL.  even friends....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN