Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

FRUSTRATED! help!

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:11 AM
  • 17 Replies

My daughter is 9mos old. She's actively teething and currently taking 2 naps a day, and only wakes once at night for a bottle. The past 3 nights she's been up every 2 hours. Last night was the first night transition into her own room ( I thought she could've been waking up so much because she heard us sleeping in the room with her, so I tried her room for a change). Naps went just fine during the day, but the crap hit the fan. Holy crap, our night was a disaster- for the whole family (lol).  Nevermind the smashing headache I had already-then a baby who suddenly wants to be wide awake from 1-3, up again at 4, and again at 6. And go figure- still have that headache!

I'm so tired, I feel so frustrated - as if I'm doing something wrong. I don't think I am. She still needs two naps a day, no nap is ever longer than 2.5 hrs, and up and awake from last nap by4 and bedtime is 8:45-9. 

Help, I need words of encouragement-maybe some tips to help her sleep through the night? All I know, is that I feel like I'm failing. I know deep down I'm not - that the exhaustion is taking a toll on me, but really--what the heck!

sad

by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GloryDaze
by Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:25 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm way past the baby stage as two of my children are adults and one is a teenager, but I do remember those days.  Our second daughter was the worst one to try to get her to sleep through the night.  Both my Pediatrician and my mother told me that we have to let her cry it out.  It took me about a week to accept that idea, but I finally did it.

The first night was the worst.  She screamed in her crib for about two hours....and then went to sleep.  The second night she cried for only about 40 minutes.....and went back to sleep.  It only took four nights.  Thank goodness.

As long as you are sure she doen't have a fever or some other reason for crying than I will pass on what my pediatrician and mother told me years ago and tell you to just let her cry it out.  Make sure her second nap isn't too close to her nightly bedtime too.

The funny thing is now my second daughter is 19 years old (she didn't die from crying herself back to sleep all those years ago!! lol) and she and I recently watched an episode of Super Nanny where a mom and dad were having an issue trying to get their 11 month old son to sleep through the night and she told them they need to leave him in his crib and not pick him up and that he essentially had to cry himself back to sleep.  We laughed while watching it and I said "Thank goodness those days are over!"

Someday you'll be able to look back and laugh about it too.

Beenthere3times
by Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Dr Richard Ferber look him up on google and read his book. I'm sure you can get it at the library, if not buy it.sun

amonkeymom
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 2:29 PM
1 mom liked this

It could be the change in scenery or maybe a growth spurt.  Give her a little time.

rebeccab1966
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting GloryDaze:

I'm way past the baby stage as two of my children are adults and one is a teenager, but I do remember those days.  Our second daughter was the worst one to try to get her to sleep through the night.  Both my Pediatrician and my mother told me that we have to let her cry it out.  It took me about a week to accept that idea, but I finally did it.

The first night was the worst.  She screamed in her crib for about two hours....and then went to sleep.  The second night she cried for only about 40 minutes.....and went back to sleep.  It only took four nights.  Thank goodness.

As long as you are sure she doen't have a fever or some other reason for crying than I will pass on what my pediatrician and mother told me years ago and tell you to just let her cry it out.  Make sure her second nap isn't too close to her nightly bedtime too.

The funny thing is now my second daughter is 19 years old (she didn't die from crying herself back to sleep all those years ago!! lol) and she and I recently watched an episode of Super Nanny where a mom and dad were having an issue trying to get their 11 month old son to sleep through the night and she told them they need to leave him in his crib and not pick him up and that he essentially had to cry himself back to sleep.  We laughed while watching it and I said "Thank goodness those days are over!"

Someday you'll be able to look back and laugh about it too.

This is  exactly.  Mine are 11 and 14, but I remember those days oh so well.  Neither of my kids were sleepers or nappers, and the exhaustion made me feel like I was literally losing my mind.  But it DOES get better.  Don't forget to do nice things for yourself.  One day you'll look back and wonder where the time went.

Caera
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Sleeping 5 hours a day at 9 months? I'd try getting her to one nap per day and in bed a little earlier. But, if it works for your child, it's probably just a phase.

ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this
None of my kids slept through until after 18 months.
Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Just when you have a routine they go and switch it up! It's probably some teething pain, and she thinks you should pick her up the minute she wakes. Let her fuss and cry, hand her her pacifier if she uses one, let her hear your voice, but don't pick her up! It will only take about 3 nights, she has to learn to put herself back to sleep mama, you are exhausted and a well rested mom is very important to the whole family's health and well being!

psych_mom
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:36 PM
1 mom liked this

It could be the teething pain or a growth spurt. Give her a few days. Hugs.

countrymommy11
by Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:41 PM
1 mom liked this
It gets better! My daughter is still teething and she's 19 months, but she doesn't wake up in the middle of the night anymore! I would probably try to skip the second nap of the day and just let her take a decently long nap during the day! I hope it gets better soon for you!(:
chellabella0312
by New Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Quoting Caera:

Sleeping 5 hours a day at 9 months?  

You say that like it's a bad thing. How many hours should a 9 month old be sleeping during the day according to you? 

All the books I've read say some babies still need 3 naps at this point. My baby is a little thing - so I completely understand the one bottle a night still. I know some babies who cut out down to one nap after the one year mark. So I guess I agree with the woman above- every baby is different. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)