Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Don't ask me, then!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies

I love my MIL, but she gets on my nerves so badly sometimes.

She will ask me something multiple times, then turn around and ask another person as if she doesn't believe me.  For instance, she's asked me about four different times since Saturday when her niece is leaving to go back home to Texas.  I, personally, spoke with the niece Saturday and she told me she was heading home Tuesday.  So, that's what I told MIL.  Four times.  In two days. 

MIL and I got home from being out together today and she asked FIL, "Has (niece) written on Facebook when she's going back to Texas?"  Right in front of me.  FIL said he didn't know anything.  So, once again, I told MIL it would be Tuesday.  About fifteen minutes ago, SIL called and I heard MIL say, "When is (niece) going back to Texas?"

It drives me fucking crazy!!!  No, she does not have dementia or anything.  She's only 50 and doesn't look it.  She fully remembers everything she is told.  But, if she feels that someone isn't a valid source of information or if she doesn't like your answer, she sincerely believes that asking multiple people, multiple times will get her a different answer. 

It frustrates me because I feel that I am wasting breath on her.  Like, if you're not gonna believe a word I say, don't ask me!

Ugh.  Just needed to vent.

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamabear8710
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:55 AM
4 moms liked this

yeah thats super annoying. i would just tell her idk to everything since she is just going to ask somebody esle anyways. shes just doing that to fuck with you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 4, 2013 at 1:17 PM

No shit, yesterday, my SIL came over and MIL said, "Did (niece) say when she was going back to Texas?"  It really is annoying.  That was the third or fourth time she'd asked her, in addition to all the times she's asked me and others.  A lot of the time I do tell her I don't know something, but she will keep on asking me.  She especially does this if someone gives her an answer she doesn't like.  It's almost like she doesn't believe anything anyone ever says until it is confirmed by multiple people, or that things will miraculously change if she keeps on. 

Even if she doesn't ask anyone else the same thing she's asked me, she will go behind me and "check" to see if I'm telling the truth.  Keep in mind, I am not a liar.  Have never given her a reason to believe I am, she just does this with everyone.  My husband does this, too.  They're extremely stubborn.

Quoting mamabear8710:

yeah thats super annoying. i would just tell her idk to everything since she is just going to ask somebody esle anyways. shes just doing that to fuck with you.

anotherhalf
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 10:12 PM
That would drive me crazy. She's like a child. Are we there yet? How much longer? Are we close? Arg! I think I would have snapped at her by now.
AGrooms
by Bacon Lover on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:21 PM

I think it's something with the age- my mom is the same way, and about the same age... 

JTE11
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:33 PM

After the first two times I'd just say "I don't know" or start making things up and tell her a different thing every time. Heck if I'd be answering the same questions over and over. How frustrating!

psych_mom
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 11:55 PM

My mom does that. Drives me crazy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Lol!  After a few times of her asking me, I get visibly agitated and she'll leave me alone.  But, then, I hear her asking others and that pisses me off beyond belief.  Like, why would I lie to you about something so stupid?  I know she remembers the things I tell her because after she asks someone else, if they tell her they don't know the answer, she'll repeat my answer.  For instance, the other day, she asked my SIL when DH's cousin was going back to Texas.  SIL said she didn't know.  So, MIL said, "(B) said she was going back Tuesday."  Wtf?!  If you knew that, why ask?

Quoting JTE11:

After the first two times I'd just say "I don't know" or start making things up and tell her a different thing every time. Heck if I'd be answering the same questions over and over. How frustrating!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:42 PM

I've tried not to flip out.  But, it's not in that innocent/impatient way of a child that you can excuse.  It's more like she doubts my integrity.  I don't take it too personally, though, because like I said, she does this with everyone.  I'm just tired of wasting my breath answering the same questions and then her turning around to ask someone else.

Quoting anotherhalf:

That would drive me crazy. She's like a child. Are we there yet? How much longer? Are we close? Arg! I think I would have snapped at her by now.

anotherhalf
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:45 PM
In that case I would have snapped long long ago. If someone who knew me doubted my integrity that would really piss me off - even if she doubted everyone. How annoyimg.

Quoting Anonymous:

I've tried not to flip out.  But, it's not in that innocent/impatient way of a child that you can excuse.  It's more like she doubts my integrity.  I don't take it too personally, though, because like I said, she does this with everyone.  I'm just tired of wasting my breath answering the same questions and then her turning around to ask someone else.

Quoting anotherhalf:

catrig
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 10:46 PM
Just tell her you don't know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)